Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Feb 11 2019, 07:15 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

Tomorrow evening we make the short trip across Cheshire to take on Nantwich Town away in the Cheshire Senior Cup Quarter Final. As most people have already pointed out we were nowhere near up to standards a couple of days ago, and will need to pull our fingers out to climb back up the table. I’m sure our sole focus will be on the upcoming Boston United game, although this fixture presents us with a decent opportunity to test some new things out.

The Cheshire Cup isn’t high on our list of priorities, although I wouldn’t mind if we went all the way as this is the only cup competition we are left in and a decent run does build momentum. In the Preliminary Round we scraped past Witton Albion at home before turning over Winsford United away in the 1st Round to set up this tie.

Nantwich Town are currently in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League and have a good chance of getting promoted to the National League North as things stand. Throughout the season they have been near the top so should provide us with a tough game tomorrow as they will probably field a strong side. Will Jaaskelainen had a brief spell here in the latter stages of last season and currently plies his trade at Nantwich, so he could feature tomorrow. Just a couple of weeks ago our opponents announced the surprise signing of ex-Stoke City striker Ricardo Fuller. Despite being 39 years of age he could be another player to look out for tomorrow night.

Ahead of our crucial league fixture against Boston United on Saturday it will be interesting to see what sort of side we field. We put out a mixture of first team and youth players against Winsford which worked well for us, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we are to name a similar squad. UP THE SEALS!

Score: Nantwich Town 1-3 Chester FC (Marsh-Hughes, Brown, Waters)
Attendance: 175 (53 Chester FC)

My predicted lineup:
King
Thomson (D)Jones Macready Waters
Mooney Noble Burton
Marsh-Hughes Brown Murray

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Feb 11 2019, 10:44 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/ex-qy36jc5g

--------------------

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Feb 12 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #3

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

Oh dear, oh dear!

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Feb 12 2019, 11:10 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

Very typical of us to concede in the dying embers considering we played alright with a numerical disadvantage for more than half of the match. One part of me is slightly embarrassed to see us get knocked out, whereas the other part just wants us to give it a crack in the league. Regardless of what competition we are in though, our form over the past two months has been unbelievable to be quite frank after such a promising start.

Nantwich were probably the better side in a rather cagey first half. We started off quite well as Bradley Jackson in particular was lively on the right hand side and Dan Mooney was an improvement to his recent performances. The hosts had a few chances which went over the bar, as Ricardo Fuller headed wide and Calum Saunders’ scuffed effort went wide too which were let-offs for us. Not long after that Nantwich hit the crossbar as a headed corner was very close to finding the net. We were flat in stages, but we did start to come into it a bit more again as Bradley Jackson managed to cut inside with his shot being saved by Will Jaaskelainen, before Matty Waters had an effort saved by the Nantwich custodian too. We had a couple of corners but just before half time George Green received a straight red card to reduce our arrears. To be brutally honest it was a very bad challenge on Fuller which was worthy of the red, whilst this is Green’s second sending off in just over a month so he seriously needs to change his discipline, and fast. Unfortunately the first half ended on a sour note from our point of view, although we still headed into half time level.

The second period was a bit like the first really - a scrappy, feisty affair. We started off well again as we had a couple of spells early on with Dan Mooney firing over from range and Anthony Dudley missing the ball near the back post following good work by Jackson. Connor King made a couple of great saves on only his second start, as firstly he tipped a shot over before making an excellent save to deny Ricardo Fuller from close range. After that both Gary Roberts and Dan Mooney had chances saved by Jaaskelainen, which was before Akwasi Asante came on who created an effect for us. He made some good runs down the channel, and was a lick of paint away from firing us ahead as he struck the ball against the post. We were edging closer to the inevitable penalty shootout, but Danny Glover had other ideas as he found the net for the hosts in the first minute of injury time to win them the tie. A big blow for us as we actually battled quite well considering we had to play more than half of the tie with ten men. For me Bradley Jackson shown some good signs tonight on his first game back from injury. Also, Connor King had a decent game between the sticks on only his second start for us and made some good saves. Dan Mooney was a bit better following a run of hit and miss games. I felt sorry for Anthony Dudley up top who worked his socks off all game, but just lacked that service until Asante came on towards the end.

With it being the Cheshire Cup I won’t lose too much sleep on the end result, but to be fair we had an opportunity to try and create some momentum and produced very little. Boston United at home is critically important though and we really have to win this one to put some paper over the cracks. Something I have noticed is that the atmosphere at our matches has been dead of late. I understand it is down to our players to get us results, but we can all play a big part in trying to motivate them too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Feb 13 2019, 07:39 AM
Post #5

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/OIe6RI877yY

--------------------

+Quote Post
3mm
post Feb 13 2019, 02:26 PM
Post #6

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

The result is immaterial, but getting a first team player sent off in such a meaningless game is really bad news. Things just aren't going for us this season... crying.gif

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Feb 14 2019, 07:54 AM
Post #7

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (3mm @ Feb 13 2019, 02:26 PM) *
The result is immaterial, but getting a first team player sent off in such a meaningless game is really bad news. Things just aren't going for us this season... crying.gif

Been a very stop start season hasn't it. What with the flood, resulting postponements, injuries to key players at around the same time etc etc.

George Green needs to sort his head out mind you. Always feels like he's walking a tightrope with the officials when he plays.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th February 2019 - 02:53 PM