Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to grow the club, Innovation
SqzL
post Sep 2 2016, 03:05 PM
Post #1

1st team stalwart

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 11695

Right, we talk a lot about dwindling attendances on various threads, most of which are complaints. I thought it might be useful for both us and the club to have a thread to discuss what we would do to help the club grow. Then if someone at the club does read DC they will see we actually do care, and it's not just about posting about everything that's wrong with the club, without offering any sort of positives/Ideas to help us grow.

I'll kick us off with trying to get more advertising into the city. There are a tonne of popular shops in the city that we could try, and surely a few of them would put a poster up for us, even in exchange for some billboards in the ground etc?

The Uni - Get some ticket bundle offers, 3 games for the price of two.
Join the CFU and get your first game for free.
Free family ticket for everyone with a child attending the summer soccer schools (don't know if something like this has already been done?)

I'd be interested to hear what other ideas people have and hopefully the club have a glance and see something they can work with.

citysign.GIF
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
~CH2~
post Sep 2 2016, 03:11 PM
Post #2

Squad player

Member No.: 7982

I've just posted something in the "Attendance v Price" thread, there is free advertising for events available on the Visit Chester website, maybe this can be utilised going forward. It's the first hit on google when you search fro "What's On Chester". Currently, the only sporting events on there are race dates, polo and the marathon.

+Quote Post
SqzL
post Sep 2 2016, 03:28 PM
Post #3

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (~CH2~ @ Sep 2 2016, 04:11 PM) *
I've just posted something in the "Attendance v Price" thread, there is free advertising for events available on the Visit Chester website, maybe this can be utilised going forward. It's the first hit on google when you search fro "What's On Chester". Currently, the only sporting events on there are race dates, polo and the marathon.

In response to this, i have just e-mailed 'Visit Chester' asking about the possibility of advertising the matches/club on their website under a sports/what's on heading.
cityscarf.gif

+Quote Post
Always a Support...
post Sep 2 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #4

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 159

So why not send all your ideas to fans@chesterfc.com.
That is what the new email address is for instead of "hoping " the Club reads DC ?
Not science rocket !!!

--------------------
Dancers are definitely not drinkers !!!

+Quote Post
Derry Blue
post Sep 2 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #5

I am Irish!

Member No.: 11668

QUOTE (Always a Supporter @ Sep 2 2016, 05:38 PM) *
That is what the new email address is for instead of "hoping " the Club reads DC ?
Not science rocket !!!

That's it - have a pop. Typical DC.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 2 2016, 05:10 PM
Post #6

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Always a Supporter @ Sep 2 2016, 05:38 PM) *
Not science rocket !!!

Because the idea is that people can exchange their ideas on here and we can gauge among us which ones are the best, or perhaps one good idea could lead to another as it often does.

If this thread grows to be several pages long, perhaps you'd like to take it upon yourself to pick some of the best ones and email them to the fans@ address? Then again, maybe the club could just read it.

Don't know why you always have to be this narky and patronising about perfectly sensible suggestions and ideas!

+Quote Post
Deva Blue
post Sep 2 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #7

Squad player

Member No.: 11858

^ Wow this thread lost direction really quickly.

To get back on track, I think a little shuttle bus running from the town centre/bus exchange to the ground could boost attendance? I believe this used to happen a while ago. Not sure of the logistics needed to get it going, but could charge say £2 each and have scheduled buses on Saturday match-days, could even make a small profit if done properly. Surely this would get a take up and maybe a bit of advertising of the chester logo on the side of the bus? Just throwing out ideas.

--------------------
Heard about the bad times, witnessed the good ones.

+Quote Post
Richard
post Sep 2 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #8

1st team regular

Member No.: 3477

AAS, you have made your point
It's fine for people to swap ideas, make plans and discuss them on this forum. Folks are trying to help, that's all and it should be encouraged
Good on them I say and carry on

This post has been edited by Devon Blue: Sep 3 2016, 04:46 AM

+Quote Post
Arrogant Blue
post Sep 2 2016, 05:57 PM
Post #9

3 in a row

Member No.: 133

Why can't something ban this big baby (AAS) instead?

Maybe you can issue another grovelling and nauseating apology to those you've had a go at!

This post has been edited by Devon Blue: Sep 3 2016, 04:48 AM

--------------------
One love, we don't need another love. One love, one heart and one soul. We can have it all, easy, peasy, ooh ho ho!

+Quote Post
Ron Seal
post Sep 2 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #10

1st team legend

Member No.: 3504

AAS
Calm down dear. What's wrong with a "think tank", see if we can come up with some good ideas and THEN present them to the people that may be able to implement them. I think a few well thought out ideas would be more likely to be considered than every Tom, Dick and Harry pestering them with their thoughts on how many sides te pies should have.

This post has been edited by Devon Blue: Sep 3 2016, 04:48 AM

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 2 2016, 06:04 PM
Post #11

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

AAS, thank you for pointing out an email address we all already knew of, what would we do without you?

It's called brainstorming. One person might suggest an idea, another person might develop it, another might suggest a problem with it.

I, and seemingly others, thought it was a good idea but, not for the first time in your DC history, you've derailed it with your pedantry and superiority complex.

This post has been edited by Devon Blue: Sep 3 2016, 04:50 AM

+Quote Post
ANDERS
post Sep 2 2016, 06:45 PM
Post #12

Swedish Midfield Dynamo

Member No.: 2647

QUOTE (SqzL @ Sep 2 2016, 04:05 PM) *
Right, we talk a lot about dwindling attendances on various threads, most of which are complaints. I thought it might be useful for both us and the club to have a thread to discuss what we would do to help the club grow. Then if someone at the club does read DC they will see we actually do care, and it's not just about posting about everything that's wrong with the club, without offering any sort of positives/Ideas to help us grow.

I'll kick us off with trying to get more advertising into the city. There are a tonne of popular shops in the city that we could try, and surely a few of them would put a poster up for us, even in exchange for some billboards in the ground etc?

The Uni - Get some ticket bundle offers, 3 games for the price of two.
Join the CFU and get your first game for free.
Free family ticket for everyone with a child attending the summer soccer schools (don't know if something like this has already been done?)

I'd be interested to hear what other ideas people have and hopefully the club have a glance and see something they can work with.

citysign.GIF

I think that’s certainly a worthwhile idea, the new membership fee nullifies the loss of gate money as well, pretty much. Meanwhile the CFU is one person stronger in numbers. Can’t see it particularly backfiring in any way at least.

A lot of people clearly need some encouraging to become a CFU member and similarly renewing at the end of the year if they haven’t felt any benefit from it. I don’t know exactly, but I’d imagine the CFU numbers have just been on a slow decline for years?

Personally I’ve always thought that CFU membership could grow in to some sort of loyalty scheme but doubt we have the resources to implement anything like it unfortunately. Idea was to earn points for the more you do, e.g buy a season ticket, games attended, proof of following the club away, spending in the shop, bar, Blues live etc. Then get rewards for your points.

Bit too advanced for us though probably!

--------------------
"We were lucky then, it's a good job he's sh*te!"

+Quote Post
Deva Chanter
post Sep 2 2016, 06:53 PM
Post #13

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4436

QUOTE (Deva Blue @ Sep 2 2016, 06:42 PM) *

To get back on track, I think a little shuttle bus running from the town centre/bus exchange to the ground could boost attendance? I believe this used to happen a while ago. Not sure of the logistics needed to get it going, but could charge say £2 each and have scheduled buses on Saturday match-days, could even make a small profit if done properly. Surely this would get a take up and maybe a bit of advertising of the chester logo on the side of the bus? Just throwing out ideas.

This is the sort of idea I imagine the council would maybe help us with?

--------------------
The first casualty of war is the truth.

+Quote Post
Pseudoscally
post Sep 2 2016, 07:17 PM
Post #14

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 85

Billboard at the end of Bumpers Lane advertising the next match. Similar to what the goats have at the racecourse although they do have the added bonus of massive floodlights to house it.

+Quote Post
Claire Ward
post Sep 2 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #15

Youth team

Member No.: 12204

QUOTE (Deva Blue @ Sep 2 2016, 06:42 PM) *

They used to have one years ago when my boys used to go to Chester matches, it was called the kwik save bus biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Always a Support...
post Sep 2 2016, 07:42 PM
Post #16

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Agree that if it's a good suggestion so forward to the Club rather than generate 100 posts on it ?

Nothing wrong in a discussion but I've seen the same suggestions year after year so stop pontificating, send them all to the Club and let the various Comittees or individuals volunteering to look at decide if ok or nor.

Otherwise t's all talk and no action ? rolleyes.gif :

Want the best for our club that's all cityscarf.gif

This post has been edited by Devon Blue: Sep 3 2016, 04:51 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scrabble
post Sep 2 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #17

Youth team

Member No.: 11637

The support is what it is - I don't blame anyone for coming up with initiatives but it won't change anything.

The only thing that will is success on the pitch.

+Quote Post
Deva Blue
post Sep 3 2016, 01:17 AM
Post #18

Squad player

Member No.: 11858

[/quote]

Agree if it's a good suggestion so forward to the Club rather than generate 100 posts on it ?

Nothing wrong in a discussion but I've seen the same suggestions year after year so stop pontificating, send them all to the Club and let the various Comittees or individuals volunteering to look at decide if ok or nor.

Otherwise t's all talk and no action ? rolleyes.gif :

Want the best for our club that's all cityscarf.gif
[/quote]

I think the concept was to generate ideas, discuss and pick the best ones. Then a constructed email could be sent by an individual rather than tens of emails sent separately that repeat themselves.

I think the saying goes, 'the way to get good ideas is to get lots of ideas and throw the bad ones away'.

This post has been edited by Devon Blue: Sep 3 2016, 04:52 AM

--------------------
Heard about the bad times, witnessed the good ones.

+Quote Post
3mm
post Sep 3 2016, 06:20 AM
Post #19

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Deva Blue @ Sep 3 2016, 02:17 AM) *
I think the saying goes, 'the way to get good ideas is to get lots of ideas and throw the bad ones away'.

Think we should adapt and adopt that, and pin it on the wall in the mods common room. 'The way to get good Devachatters...' wink.gif

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Sep 3 2016, 07:07 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 173

In fairness to AAS he raises a valid point in that many of these ideas have been repeated on this forum for years but nothing is ever actioned by the club. Perhaps this unofficial "think tank" thread will make more of an impact, though I must say its a shame we are having to do this when we have democratically elected somebody to oversee the Commercial and Marketing portfolio of the club.

My suggestion is simple - Ten Pound Terrace.

+Quote Post
truliblue
post Sep 3 2016, 07:21 AM
Post #21

1st team sub

Member No.: 3852

QUOTE (Scrabble @ Sep 2 2016, 09:34 PM) *
The support is what it is - I don't blame anyone for coming up with initiatives but it won't change anything.

Agree with this,the only way crowd numbers will increase is by having success on the field.What we have now is the core support of about 1500.The core support is brilliant and proves itself time after time but it is what happens on the pitch increases the attendance so let's hope that improves..........fingers crossed

+Quote Post
NorwegianBlue
post Sep 3 2016, 08:06 AM
Post #22

Chester til I die

Member No.: 8140

QUOTE (Deva Blue @ Sep 2 2016, 07:42 PM) *

I came up with a similar suggestion a few years ago.

A dedicated Chester FC fans pub in a location such as The Frog, could put prematch entertainment and from 1.00pm, lay on a shuttle bus to the ground.

Maybe a deal with a local taxi firm could be struck to run a maxi-taxi for us for a few hours?

Thoughts?

--------------------
I was there : 27-11-90 The 409 club.
I was there : 31-08-13 The 888 club.
I was there : 22-09-14 The "94th minute" club.

+Quote Post
SqzL
post Sep 3 2016, 08:56 AM
Post #23

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (truliblue @ Sep 3 2016, 08:21 AM) *
QUOTE (Scrabble @ Sep 2 2016, 09:34 PM) *

Agree with this,the only way crowd numbers will increase is by having success on the field.What we have now is the core support of about 1500.The core support is brilliant and proves itself time after time but it is what happens on the pitch increases the attendance so let's hope that improves..........fingers crossed

I appreciate your point of view but I don't agree. Community feel does attract more fans regardless of results. Okay, we would 100% get more fans if we won 8/10 games, but being realistic it probably won't happen. I don't want to keep using Ice Hockey as an example on threads but if you go to an elite league match, like I do with Steelers, it's packed with kids, not just a few hundred but over a thousand of them, future fans. That's because they get them so involved with everything. Eg. Chuck a puck, free t shirts fired into the loudest part of the crowd, free shirt with season tickets.

The thread wasn't intended to cause a stir, but I do think if the club got 100 emails with ideas on, they would hold far less weight than if one person on here was to volunteer to email from the "DC" fan base. I'd be more than happy to email or have someone else email the best suggestions and then publish the response on here for everyone that got involved to see. Again more community based, than firing 40 emails, with 20 of them saying the same thing.
cityscarf.gif

This post has been edited by SqzL: Sep 3 2016, 08:58 AM

+Quote Post
Always a Support...
post Sep 3 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #24

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mancot Blue @ Sep 3 2016, 08:07 AM) *
In fairness to AAS he raises a valid point in that many of these ideas have been repeated on this forum for years but nothing is ever actioned by the club. Perhaps this unofficial "think tank" thread will make more of an impact, though I must say its a shame we are having to do this when we have democratically elected somebody to oversee the Commercial and Marketing portfolio of the club.

Thank you Mancot !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Sep 3 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #25

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (Always a Supporter @ Sep 3 2016, 01:03 PM) *
QUOTE (Mancot Blue @ Sep 3 2016, 08:07 AM) *

Thank you Mancot !

Mancot, can you not bring a lot of these ideas up at the Fundraising meetings you attend?

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th April 2021 - 04:03 AM