Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Astles
Arrogant Blue
post Aug 10 2016, 11:20 AM
Post #1

3 in a row

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 133

The club should be looking at getting him tied to a long term deal as soon as possible otherwise there is going to be another Henneghan situation around the corner.

He was good last season but now looks even better. The Steven Gerrard 50 yard cross field pass has been added to his game as well.

--------------------
One love, we don't need another love. One love, one heart and one soul. We can have it all, easy, peasy, ooh ho ho!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SqzL
post Aug 10 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #2

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 11695

QUOTE (Arrogant Blue @ Aug 10 2016, 12:20 PM) *
The club should be looking at getting him tied to a long term deal as soon as possible otherwise there is going to be another Henneghan situation around the corner.

He was good last season but now looks even better. The Steven Gerrard 50 yard cross field pass has been added to his game as well.

I'd say the same if we we're 10 games into the season. Let's just give it some time. Four days ago we're relegation certainties, now we're wanting to extend player contracts. #DevaChatLife guiness.gif guiness.gif

+Quote Post
DanLB
post Aug 10 2016, 11:45 AM
Post #3

1st team regular

Member No.: 7442

Different gravy that lad, I agree about not being hasty but if he continues in the same vein he'll be gone soon.

The only downside I can see to his game is that sometimes when the ball falls awkwardly he panics and just hoofs it, but at least he's accepted his limitations and doesn't mess around in those situations, and he makes up for it with the finessed 50 yard cross field passes when he has time!!

If he can work on that side of his game and become a bit more mobile I think he's as exciting a prospect as Ben Heneghan.

--------------------
Until the sky turns green...

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Aug 10 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #4

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 203

QUOTE (DanLB @ Aug 10 2016, 12:45 PM) *
Different gravy that lad, I agree about not being hasty but if he continues in the same vein he'll be gone soon.

The only downside I can see to his game is that sometimes when the ball falls awkwardly he panics and just hoofs it, but at least he's accepted his limitations and doesn't mess around in those situations, and he makes up for it with the finessed 50 yard cross field passes when he has time!!

If he can work on that side of his game and become a bit more mobile I think he's as exciting a prospect as Ben Heneghan.

I don't mind defenders doing that personally. Perhaps old-fashioned but I don't really get this obsession with 'playing the ball out of defence', especially in the fifth tier. Defenders are there primarily to get rid of it!

+Quote Post
paddy seal
post Aug 10 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #5

1st team regular

Member No.: 4209

i think you'll all find that I was the one that predicted his glory in my 2016/17 season review.

keep it going Bri

--------------------
people who wear glasses shouldnt live in green houses

+Quote Post
1midfield genera...
post Aug 10 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #6

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8334

QUOTE (paddy seal @ Aug 10 2016, 03:01 PM) *
i think you'll all find that I was the one that predicted his glory in my 2016/17 season review.

keep it going Bri

Good old fashioned, beast of a centre half, who takes no prisoner's.
Massive player for us and one ,who we need to get, on an extended contract.
Great prospect.

+Quote Post
toto
post Aug 11 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #7

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 314

QUOTE (1midfield general @ Aug 10 2016, 07:32 PM) *
QUOTE (paddy seal @ Aug 10 2016, 03:01 PM) *

keep it going Bri

Good old fashioned, beast of a centre half, who takes no prisoner's.
Massive player for us and one ,who we need to get, on an extended contract.
Great prospect.

Saw him in one of the away games at end of last season and thought he was in a different league. Class act.

+Quote Post
RunningRyno
post Aug 12 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #8

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 12155

He's very solid, but this is clearly his level. That being said, what would the problem be with giving him a two year deal? I can't imagine a time where we wouldn't want him starting...

As a club, an element of forward planning would very much change our prospects. I know we have budget constraints, but it's not as if we're going to reach next season not wanting Astles. And if he's already signed up for the next year then we avoid him asking for higher wages to stay.

It's as simple as that, yet no one person in the club seems to get it. Frightening.

A two year contract for a player that will definitely be staying (see Richards, Sam Hughes, Matty Waters, Astles etc) would avoid the usual pre-season sadness. If they are good enough to move on, then we get a fee. If not they stay. Easy.

+Quote Post
nicksonmatt
post Aug 12 2016, 11:42 AM
Post #9

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1289

I had a conversation with Macca about this and he said (quite honestly) he's got no chance of a two year deal at this stage so why should the players. LOL. It was tongue in cheek but made me giggle. Hopefully after the Heneghan debacle contracts will be on the new C.E.O's list of responsibilities.

--------------------
Chester F.C established 21st May 2010.

+Quote Post
McSeal
post Aug 12 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #10

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

QUOTE (RunningRyno @ Aug 12 2016, 12:39 PM) *
He's very solid, but this is clearly his level. That being said, what would the problem be with giving him a two year deal? I can't imagine a time where we wouldn't want him starting...

As a club, an element of forward planning would very much change our prospects. I know we have budget constraints, but it's not as if we're going to reach next season not wanting Astles. And if he's already signed up for the next year then we avoid him asking for higher wages to stay.

It's as simple as that, yet no one person in the club seems to get it. Frightening.

A two year contract for a player that will definitely be staying (see Richards, Sam Hughes, Matty Waters, Astles etc) would avoid the usual pre-season sadness. If they are good enough to move on, then we get a fee. If not they stay. Easy.

If you're going to offer him a 2yr contract, you have to increase his wages to entice him to sigh. Otherwise what's in it for him ?

+Quote Post
DanLB
post Aug 12 2016, 01:24 PM
Post #11

1st team regular

Member No.: 7442

QUOTE (McSeal @ Aug 12 2016, 01:10 PM) *

If you're going to offer him a 2yr contract, you have to increase his wages to entice him to sigh. Otherwise what's in it for him ?

Job security at an established Conference team which I'm sure in itself is pretty attractive given he was playing in the Evo-Stik leagues last season.

He might not end up as sought after as Heneghan but I think he has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the Conference and I'd like to keep hold of him given we brought him into this level, for me he's a potential future captain and it would be good to finally get some consistency in the side to help us progress.

--------------------
Until the sky turns green...

+Quote Post
McSeal
post Aug 12 2016, 02:37 PM
Post #12

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Member No.: 6

QUOTE (DanLB @ Aug 12 2016, 02:24 PM) *

Job security at an established Conference team which I'm sure in itself is pretty attractive given he was playing in the Evo-Stik leagues last season.

He might not end up as sought after as Heneghan but I think he has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the Conference and I'd like to keep hold of him given we brought him into this level, for me he's a potential future captain and it would be good to finally get some consistency in the side to help us progress.

Fair do's, But other than a situation where he gets long term injury and will keep on being paid, I suspect he could get into plenty of other Confernece teams so it that sense he's got security without signing an extension. I suggest he would be unlikley to sign an extension on the same terms.

+Quote Post
poolepirate
post Aug 12 2016, 08:56 PM
Post #13

1st team regular

Member No.: 4623

QUOTE (McSeal @ Aug 12 2016, 03:37 PM) *
QUOTE (DanLB @ Aug 12 2016, 02:24 PM) *

Fair do's, But other than a situation where he gets long term injury and will keep on being paid, I suspect he could get into plenty of other Confernece teams so it that sense he's got security without signing an extension. I suggest he would be unlikley to sign an extension on the same terms.

no doubt he has an agent who would not let him sign a contract extension)not that one would be offered so early in the season ) we gave john worsnopp / tom shaw/ craig mahon 2 year contracts and some fans were critical of that. its a long season just lets wait and see how things develop but im sure the club has learnt its lesson from the ben henegan affair and at the later part of the season it will be addressed

+Quote Post
toto
post Aug 12 2016, 09:20 PM
Post #14

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 314

It does raise the issue that for a small club and as one without a sugar daddy chairman we need to still take risks on signing players. How else will we create funds to move forward?

We won't grow rich on the back of our attendances.

Assuming that money counts at this level and that investment is required to get back into the football league then there needs to be a strategy to move forward.

However the alternative view would be that it would be better to invest in good a manager and coaching staff and an ethos of football that will get us out of this league. Perhaps we now have it?

There is no easy solution to this dilemma.

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Aug 13 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #15

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1562

As someone pointed out above the last 2 year contracts were widely criticised so what makes this different?

Shaw (estd conference player 300 games) worsnop (great 1st season) and Mahon seemed good decisions at the time.

1 year extensions in January. Covers our bases and hopefully some FA cup money to pay for them.

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
keyboard ken
post Aug 13 2016, 04:11 PM
Post #16

1st team sub

Member No.: 9435

QUOTE (iandyChesterCity @ Aug 13 2016, 09:48 AM) *
As someone pointed out above the last 2 year contracts were widely criticised so what makes this different?

Shaw (estd conference player 300 games) worsnop (great 1st season) and Mahon seemed good decisions at the time.

1 year extensions in January. Covers our bases and hopefully some FA cup money to pay for them.

On todays display he won't go very far he is not a patch on George Horan

+Quote Post
Bertha the Blue
post Aug 13 2016, 04:37 PM
Post #17

Squad player

Member No.: 3422

Not after today AB. Extremely poor day at the office. Slow and couldn't get off the ground. Needs to lose the excess weight.

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Aug 13 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #18

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

QUOTE (Bertha the Blue @ Aug 13 2016, 05:37 PM) *

Not after today AB. Extremely poor day at the office. Slow and couldn't get off the ground. Needs to lose the excess weight.

Agreed. His shortcomings were apparent today. Very poor performance from him and Hudson.

+Quote Post
Big Si
post Aug 13 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #19

Si Dutton
Group Icon

Member No.: 30

So he has one bad performance and now it's not worth extending his contract?! Wow. Who do you imagine we can bring in that's better than him....Sergio Ramos? We all know Astles struggles for pace and occasionally it will get exposed. For a lad who has only played at this level since January he has done brilliant.

--------------------
Cmon City, these are SH*TE

+Quote Post
Bertha the Blue
post Aug 13 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #20

Squad player

Member No.: 3422

QUOTE (Big Si @ Aug 13 2016, 09:04 PM) *

So he has one bad performance and now it's not worth extending his contract?! Wow. Who do you imagine we can bring in that's better than him....Sergio Ramos? We all know Astles struggles for pace and occasionally it will get exposed. For a lad who has only played at this level since January he has done brilliant.

Chill out angry Si. We can ill afford to dish out any two year contracts as proven with our previous two year efforts. And on today I wouldn't dish one out to Astles, not so much on performance rather his size. But I would certainly look at extending in January, which I think is more sensible?

+Quote Post
Big Si
post Aug 13 2016, 09:23 PM
Post #21

Si Dutton
Group Icon

Member No.: 30

QUOTE (Bertha the Blue @ Aug 13 2016, 09:20 PM) *

Chill out angry Si. We can ill afford to dish out any two year contracts as proven with our previous two year efforts. And on today I wouldn't dish one out to Astles, not so much on performance rather his size. But I would certainly look at extending in January, which I think is more sensible?

Perfectly chilled thanks. Just think its odd when everyone has been raving about him and then he has one bad game and people change their minds. I personally think he's well worth a 2 year deal. Would agree he needs to shift a couple of pounds though.

--------------------
Cmon City, these are SH*TE

+Quote Post
Arrogant Blue
post Aug 15 2016, 09:41 AM
Post #22

3 in a row

Member No.: 133

With Sam Hughes covering the back four in midfield that problem would be nullified.

--------------------
One love, we don't need another love. One love, one heart and one soul. We can have it all, easy, peasy, ooh ho ho!

+Quote Post
nicksonmatt
post Aug 15 2016, 10:41 AM
Post #23

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1289

Seems a strange one regarding Sam Hughes. I've been told he's not injured and so must have been excluded from the squad for not being good enough. Seems strange to me.

--------------------
Chester F.C established 21st May 2010.

+Quote Post
steveo1
post Aug 15 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #24

1st team captain

Member No.: 217

Sounds like Sam is being frozen out if he is fit, complete waste of space having both Chappell and Mahon on the bench, with Lloyd coming in I can't see Sam featuring, shambles how he isn't.

--------------------
Deva Chat F.C

World Cup Doubles Champion - 28/7/05

'A member of the DCFC Prankster Organisation'

+Quote Post
woolston blue
post Aug 15 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #25

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 5676

QUOTE (nicksonmatt @ Aug 15 2016, 11:41 AM) *
Seems a strange one regarding Sam Hughes. I've been told he's not injured and so must have been excluded from the squad for not being good enough. Seems strange to me.

I don't know if he's good enough or not but I do know he's better than what the manager is putting on the pitch. Let's be honest- he looks promising but he's not been given enough chance for anyone to know how good he really is. that's opposite of players like Chappell who consistently prove they should be at a lower level.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th April 2021 - 05:14 AM