Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Dec 5 2020, 12:37 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

On the back of a confidence-boosting success the other night we make the venture to Yorkshire today to play York City away where we look to record our first away win since the opening day. I feel a lot more at ease now we are back in the play-offs as I was beginning to feel concerned about our prospects, but we need to earn that place now by pushing on and staying in there. We have a dismal record at Bootham Crescent having not won there in 20 years, but given York have had a very stop-start season and spectators will no longer be permitted to attend today, we have a better chance than ever of getting that monkey off our back to put out a real statement. At this moment in time I would be happy with a draw as in the long run this should turn out to be one of our most difficult games, but there have been numerous occasions in recent campaigns where The Minstermen have failed to turn up in big clashes, so we should be going all out to snatch the win.

Our last match was on Tuesday night as we won 3-0 at home against Alfreton Town in what was our first positive result in over a month. The first half was a mixed one as it was Alfreton who troubled us in the early stages, but from the 20th minute mark onwards it was us who got a stronger foothold on the encounter. Towards the midway point of the half we were awarded a penalty as Alfreton Town’s Josh Clackstone flung his arm out to foolishly handle the ball. Up stepped Danny Elliott who calmly slotted home from the penalty spot to make it 1-0 to us. On the balance of play we just about edged it so we brought a deserved but slender lead into the interval. Meanwhile, the second period was very much similar to the opening half as it was our opponents who asked questions in the opening stages, while we did the business in the dying embers of the match. Forward Daniel Bradley went so close to equalising for Alfreton Town as he rattled the crossbar, before the rebound luckily went well over. The pressure from the visitors continued to worry us as only two minutes later Alfreton Town hit the woodwork again, this time through Conor Branson who struck the post. Our nerves were put at ease just past the hour mark though, as Jamie Morgan slotted into the far corner to make it 2-0 to us. With full time approaching Anthony Dudley wrapped it up, as he stroked home to make it 3-0 to us. Alfreton Town hit the woodwork for the THIRD time in injury time as Dom Smith headed against the crossbar, but that wasn’t to be an issue as we kept our first clean sheet of the season. A big win which will hopefully galvanise our season, especially with us jumping up four places into the play-offs.

York City have certainly had a rollercoaster beginning to life in their fourth season in the National League North, as a series of staggered postponements leaves the Yorkshire side in mid table with SIX games in hand. It is very difficult to make clear judgements on them at the moment because despite them being so far down, they have only lost one game so once they catch up with everybody they may find themselves in a much healthier position. However, even for a squad of York’s quality the heavy fixture congestion that will occur later on in the season may hand them with big problems, so it may prove to be difficult for them to gain ground on other sides. The Minstermen had a mass overhaul during the Summer, as 15 players from last season’s play-off disappointment departed with 17 new recruits coming in, but even as we approach Winter you can argue that their new side are still finding their feet and are yet to properly gel together. In a way I feel sorry for the hosts given their disruption, although given some of the quality they brought in such as Matty Brown, Michael Woods, Michael Duckworth, and Jack Redshaw, I do think they will be near the top before long. We will be up against two former Seals today, who are Matty Brown and Sean Newton. Centre back Matty originally joined us on loan from Chesterfield in 2014, but having fared well in that spell he joined us on a permanent deal later on in 2014, where he went on to perform solidly for us. He departed us in 2015 to join FC Halifax Town, where after a successful five year spell he left to join York City in September of this year where he has been at ever since. Meanwhile, fellow centre back Sean began his career in 2007 at Chester City where, after two loan spells at Southport later on in 2007 and Droylsden in 2008, he departed us later on in 2008 to join Droylsden on a permanent basis. Newton joined York City from Wrexham in 2017, and has been there ever since.

Today’s clash will be the start of a difficult week coming up with battles against fellow ex-Football League sides Hereford FC and Boston United to follow. At this moment in time I would settle for four points, although we are capable of much more and should battle for all nine, even though that is unlikely to happen. The advantage of no spectators and Tuesday’s morale-boosting win will hopefully spur us on to pick something up at Bootham, which doesn’t happen often. Come On You Seals!

Score: York City (Redshaw, Cassidy) 2-1 Chester FC (Johnston)
Attendance: 0 (0 Chester FC)

My predicted lineup:
Gray
Morgan Livesey Grand Taylor
Johnston Glendon Weeks Bauress
Hughes Elliott

COYS!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 7 2020, 11:59 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

Gutting doesn’t even come close. Thought it was a promising showing on the whole though, as some of the stuff we played was very good on what was a heavy, bumpy surface to play on. Considering we were up against a York City side who should eventually be competing for the title again we can be pleased with how we fared, but yet again we had to spoil a pleasant display by making basic errors at the back, and missing golden chances up front again. It is incredibly frustrating that our recent defeats have come down to fine margins like this, as all of our defeats this season (most coming against play-off sides) have been by one goal. York still just about deserved the win though, because I thought they exploited us well by not accepting any nonsense at the back, and they tracked us down successfully too.

We began the first half relatively well as in the middle we were very compact to limit York City’s time on the ball, and we looked comfortable going forward. Despite our pleasant start on the ball we couldn’t really convert our superior possession into chances, as York had the better of the opportunities early on with Harry Bunn giving us a wake-up call by heading against the crossbar. The encounter began to even out after those early stages because it was end-to-end stuff with both sides trying hard to break the deadlock. We rued a few decent chances of our own as Paddy Lacey saw a dipping shot saved, while George Glendon had two good opportunities to open the scoring. However, York City were much more clinical in front of goal as shown by Jordan Burrow who made it 1-0. From our perspective I think the blame should shift more towards the build-up than the actual goal, as we should’ve stayed with our men and tracked the short corner. Burrow lashed in through a forest of bodies so you can’t blame Louis Gray for that as there’s no way he knew where the ball was heading towards. Our wastefulness was even more apparent before half time as we squandered a couple of great chances to equalise, but again we couldn’t stay composed.

Meanwhile, the second period was a similar story because our poor finishing and inability to defend set-pieces was apparent again, although frustratingly we remained quite good when on the ball. On the approach to the hour mark Declan Weeks got us well and truly back into the game to make it 1-0. It was a really well-worked goal too because our build-up play on the counter attack was very good, and Declan found the bottom corner by stroking home on the edge of the box. We should’ve been pretty content at 1-1 and should have even pressed for the winner because momentum was definitely on our side. How we didn’t do that I’ll never know because I don’t particularly think York City were world beaters, so we should’ve tested them as they were there for the taking. We just relaxed though which invited pressure from the hosts, and in frustrating fashion York City went on to steal a winner as Akil Wright made it 2-1. It was another agonising goal to concede from a set piece as well, although for me Jamie Morgan was at fault for this one. How the ball managed to squeeze through him I’ll never know, because it was literally right in front of him, and with him being at the near post it was a simple task for him to just clear it away from danger. He’ll learn, but it was still a very basic and stupid mistake to make which cost us. Danny Elliott skewed an absolute sitter at the end by almost blasting out of the ground from about 10 yards out, when he has to be burying those. A valiant display by us where, against lesser opposition, we’d have snook a win, but to beat the top sides you have to have your shooting boots on and defend basic set-pieces, and unfortunately we couldn’t do that which was why we fell short.

A big sucker punch for us but we’ve played a lot worse this season in one or two instances, so we’ll simply have to get over it. Up next is a home match against Hereford FC tomorrow night where we look to bounce back from this setback. I usually fancy us at home (especially when it’s midweek) and given we have a good record against Hereford, I do expect us to do the job tomorrow. We’ll jump back into the play-offs again with a win, but what’s getting us down at the moment is our inconsistency. It’s been very ‘one step forward two steps back’ lately which is why we’re in and out of the play-offs, so in order to rectify that we need to be stringing a few wins together otherwise we will just end up in mid table. Let’s hope the presence of some of our supporters will give our players that wake-up call (and also lift) they need, as it’s clear they have been lacking our presence in recent games.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Dec 8 2020, 12:00 AM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

Match highlights:
https://youtu.be/qGZ6AEluNfs

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th April 2021 - 10:13 AM