Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> J McCarthy, A work in progress, OK so far.
rossettboy
post Sep 26 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #1

YTS Trainee

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 9406

I am so impressed with John McCarthy. He is obviously methodical and meticulous in his approach to, seemingly, every aspect of football management. He knows our limitations both on and off the field but seems to have a development plan for individual players and the team as a whole which he is strong enough to stick to. He doesn't seem to get fazed when results go against us. It is clear he knows what he is doing, we would all love us to be scoring lots of goals, wining lots of games, seeing lots of effort and not conceding. The last two points seem to be further advanced than the first two but we appear to be heading in the right direction. Hopefully the strikers will start putting into practice what they are being "taught" sooner rather than later. The game on Saturday was a dreadful spectacle for the fans but the intention was to get at least a point which we did with ease.

I think we will edge up the table and finish comfortably somewhere around the middle of the table, but the heart hopes for better.

A mention to for Sharps, he has clearly been instrumental in making the defence pretty much watertight.

A work in progress but I am sure we are under the correct leadership.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oaks Blue
post Sep 26 2016, 07:34 PM
Post #2

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 622

QUOTE (rossettboy @ Sep 26 2016, 08:22 PM) *
I am so impressed with John McCarthy. He is obviously methodical and meticulous in his approach to, seemingly, every aspect of football management. He knows our limitations both on and off the field but seems to have a development plan for individual players and the team as a whole which he is strong enough to stick to. He doesn't seem to get fazed when results go against us. It is clear he knows what he is doing, we would all love us to be scoring lots of goals, wining lots of games, seeing lots of effort and not conceding. The last two points seem to be further advanced than the first two but we appear to be heading in the right direction. Hopefully the strikers will start putting into practice what they are being "taught" sooner rather than later. The game on Saturday was a dreadful spectacle for the fans but the intention was to get at least a point which we did with ease.

I think we will edge up the table and finish comfortably somewhere around the middle of the table, but the heart hopes for better.

A mention to for Sharps, he has clearly been instrumental in making the defence pretty much watertight.

Obviously a Mccarthy family member, brother? father? Come on which is it?

+Quote Post
Big Si
post Sep 26 2016, 07:41 PM
Post #3

Si Dutton
Group Icon

Member No.: 30

I agree. I've been pleasantly surprised. It's much better than last season despite losing key players, and that's because we are now playing with tactics and are organised. Because of the average age then obviously we are a work in progress, but I'm confident the management team have enough about them to keep us out of a relegation battle, which is surely the aim this year.

--------------------
Cmon City, these are SH*TE

+Quote Post
MPW
post Sep 26 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #4

1st team captain

Member No.: 1056

Agree that Macca has impressed but it makes you wonder how Burr got it so wrong!

+Quote Post
Big Si
post Sep 26 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #5

Si Dutton
Group Icon

Member No.: 30

QUOTE (MPW @ Sep 26 2016, 08:48 PM) *
Agree that Macca has impressed but it makes you wonder how Burr got it so wrong!

He lost faith with the philosophy that had always served him pretty well and consequently ended up with an unbalanced squad with no idea of his best 11 or best formation. Under Macca we may be limited but at least players know they jobs, makes a huge difference.

--------------------
Cmon City, these are SH*TE

+Quote Post
Blueblister
post Sep 26 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #6

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 3554

I'm with you on this.

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Sep 26 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #7

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1207

QUOTE (Oaks Blue @ Sep 26 2016, 03:34 PM) *

You are really a true idiot.

--------------------
Posting from the Great White North

+Quote Post
Deva Boy Returns
post Sep 26 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #8

Formerly Deva Boy when I was living in Exile in Yorkshire
Group Icon

Member No.: 1081

The players I've spoken with, speak really highly about McCarthy's approach. He's really passionate about the Club and is desperate to see the Club prosper.

--------------------
In 2004 'Deva Boy' returned after three years exiled in Yorkshire and so, 'Deva Boy Returns'

CHESTER FC UNTIL THE SKY TURNS GREEN

'OUR CITY, OUR COMMUNITY, OUR CLUB'

+Quote Post
Pseudoscally
post Sep 26 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #9

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 85

QUOTE (Canadian Exile @ Sep 26 2016, 09:14 PM) *

From Devachat's conditions of use;

2) Excessive or unnecessary swearing or abusive language will not be tolerated in the subject or body of any posting or in user's signatures or Custom Member Titles. Swear filtering is in operation on this board.

3) No threatening behaviour is to be contained in the subject or body of any posting. Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to others is strictly prohibited.

+Quote Post
TheTheremin
post Sep 26 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #10

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2194

Record so far:

P 16
W7
D3
L6
F 27
A 20
Pts 24

I'm ok with that.

+Quote Post
Ron Seal
post Sep 26 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #11

1st team legend

Member No.: 3504

QUOTE (Pseudoscally @ Sep 26 2016, 09:31 PM) *

2) Excessive or unnecessary swearing or abusive language will not be tolerated in the subject or body of any posting or in user's signatures or Custom Member Titles. Swear filtering is in operation on this board.

3) No threatening behaviour is to be contained in the subject or body of any posting. Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to others is strictly prohibited.

He's right though.

+Quote Post
Bertha the Blue
post Sep 26 2016, 09:51 PM
Post #12

Squad player

Member No.: 3422

QUOTE (TheTheremin @ Sep 26 2016, 10:24 PM) *
Record so far:

P 16
W7
D3
L6
F 27
A 20
Pts 24

I'm ok with that.

Me too.

I cringe a little when seeing his interviews but over all there are signs of a good little team coming together.
I couldn't fathom out Burrs tactics, formations or team selections last season. This season has been a 1000% improvement. The tactics maybe simple but the players all know what their role in the team is and they looked well drilled.

+Quote Post
Pseudoscally
post Sep 26 2016, 10:00 PM
Post #13

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 85

QUOTE (Ron Seal @ Sep 26 2016, 10:49 PM) *

He's right though.

Possibly....... but it's not for him to say.

+Quote Post
Catford-Bags
post Sep 26 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #14

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2639

Burrs biggest problem was trying to fit the talented John Rooney into the team. Macca knew straight away that Rooney shouldn't be accommodated in centre mid or the number ten position and played him wide midfield where he arguably had his best three games for us ... The same problem is creating mayhem for the goats now so Macca could be regarded as a miracle worker.

--------------------
the world is a flat plate balanced on the back of a giant tortoise ........... and below that, it is tortoises all the way down.

+Quote Post
DT on the Wing
post Sep 27 2016, 05:43 AM
Post #15

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 7367

Record so far:

P 16
W7
D3
L6
F 27
A 20
Pts 24

I'm ok with that.

Works out at 1.5 points per game or 69 points in a 46 game season. That's was eight last year I'd take that in a heartbeat. Be great to see us safe early so he can re sign players rathering than having to wait to see what league we're in.

I think he's a good one just a little green at management. Starting to look forward to the games again, been a while since I could say that.

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Sep 27 2016, 06:28 AM
Post #16

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (Catford-Bags @ Sep 26 2016, 11:11 PM) *
Burrs biggest problem was trying to fit the talented John Rooney into the team. Macca knew straight away that Rooney shouldn't be accommodated in centre mid or the number ten position and played him wide midfield where he arguably had his best three games for us ... The same problem is creating mayhem for the goats now so Macca could be regarded as a miracle worker.

Reading RP and the comments about Rooney is like reading DC last season. Same problems different club. The Goats are doing all they can to keep him in the team. It's plain as day. You cannot build a team around him and do well

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Sep 27 2016, 06:38 AM
Post #17

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

QUOTE (Pseudoscally @ Sep 26 2016, 11:00 PM) *
QUOTE (Ron Seal @ Sep 26 2016, 10:49 PM) *

He's right though.

Possibly....... but it's not for him to say.

Double standards from a mod again. I trust he will be giving himself a ban.

+Quote Post
Almost Blue
post Sep 27 2016, 06:43 AM
Post #18

1st team captain

Member No.: 2954

It may be a work in progress and the clean sheets are impressive indeed . . . but can't help thinking we are still lacking up front as honest and hardworking Alabi, Akintunde and Richards are??

--------------------
English Corner, Harry Mac Terrace - since 1992.

+Quote Post
Claire Ward
post Sep 27 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #19

Youth team

Member No.: 12204

I remember taking one of my Grandkids to Mini Kickers early Sunday morning a few years back and Jon took the training, He was fantastic with the kids and had time for everybody, I really hope he sticks around and is given a good crack at the job, top bloke IMHO.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Sep 27 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #20

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Almost Blue @ Sep 27 2016, 07:43 AM) *
It may be a work in progress and the clean sheets are impressive indeed . . . but can't help thinking we are still lacking up front as honest and hardworking Alabi, Akintunde and Richards are??

It's an experienced and raw front line that probably could do with an addition. Stats suggest suggest goalscoring isn't really a problem for us so far this season though. I reckon Kane will get double figures for us.

+Quote Post
NorwegianBlue
post Sep 27 2016, 09:47 AM
Post #21

Chester til I die

Member No.: 8140

QUOTE (Almost Blue @ Sep 27 2016, 08:43 AM) *

I agree, but will Akintunde get a chance?
Coming on for 5 minutes last Saturday doesn't give the lad a chance.
I understand that JM was happy for a draw and our defence and midfield were comfortable, but with an injection of pace up front Wrexham were there for the taking.

I'd like to see the front two be a bit quicker at shooting from outside the area, one touch and shoot.
If it goes high and wide, so what at least its a chance instead of taking 2/3 touches and getting closed down.

Unbeaten in 4 games is a great improvement especially with them all being clean sheets.
This Saturday against Dover is a good test to see if we really have improved.

--------------------
I was there : 27-11-90 The 409 club.
I was there : 31-08-13 The 888 club.
I was there : 22-09-14 The "94th minute" club.

+Quote Post
Deva Blue
post Sep 27 2016, 10:07 AM
Post #22

Squad player

Member No.: 11858

QUOTE (NorwegianBlue @ Sep 27 2016, 10:47 AM) *

I understand that JM was happy for a draw and our defence and midfield were comfortable, but with an injection of pace up front Wrexham were there for the taking.

I'd like to see the front two be a bit quicker at shooting from outside the area, one touch and shoot.
If it goes high and wide, so what at least its a chance instead of taking 2/3 touches and getting closed down.

Unbeaten in 4 games is a great improvement especially with them all being clean sheets.

Weird that Akintunde isn't getting much of a look in, yet the recent article in the Chron quotes Jon saying 'Akintunde is probably the most natural goal-scorer in the squad'. Then play him? Personally I think he should be getting more of a crack and i'd like to see him start against Dover. Alabi's first touch during the Wrexham game was awful and surprised nobody mentioned this on the other thread. He lost the ball numerous times.

I also think we're very imblalanced on the wing. Mahon has been much better this season, even if his final ball is lacking slightly. On the opposite side we don't offer much though, I think Macca was expecting Chapell to step it up this season but so far he has not.

Can't fault anything defensively.

This post has been edited by Deva Blue: Sep 27 2016, 10:08 AM

--------------------
Heard about the bad times, witnessed the good ones.

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Sep 27 2016, 10:09 AM
Post #23

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (NorwegianBlue @ Sep 27 2016, 10:47 AM) *

He's a young lad but for me Alabi struggles with mobility. His burst from standing is poor, and you'd struggle to get the Daily Mirror under him when he jumps. For his size he also struggles to hold the ball up. Hopefully he will develop.

Akintunde is a lot livelier, and for me would give us a better outlet when pinned back.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
RCM
post Sep 27 2016, 10:25 AM
Post #24

Youth team

Member No.: 5417

QUOTE (DT on the Wing @ Sep 27 2016, 06:43 AM) *
Record so far:

P 16
W7
D3
L6
F 27
A 20
Pts 24

I'm ok with that.

Works out at 1.5 points per game or 69 points in a 46 game season. That's was eight last year I'd take that in a heartbeat. Be great to see us safe early so he can re sign players rathering than having to wait to see what league we're in.

I think he's a good one just a little green at management. Starting to look forward to the games again, been a while since I could say that.

100% agree, the feeling now is if we lose one we have a good chance of bouncing back in the next one which last season that was not there. Have to admit JMc is winning me over as the guy to take us forward on the pitch.

+Quote Post
BLUE CAMP
post Sep 27 2016, 11:00 AM
Post #25

ONLY IN THE DICTIONARY DOES SUCCESS COME BEFORE WORK

Member No.: 1849

QUOTE (waggoner @ Sep 27 2016, 07:28 AM) *
QUOTE (Catford-Bags @ Sep 26 2016, 11:11 PM) *

Reading RP and the comments about Rooney is like reading DC last season. Same problems different club. The Goats are doing all they can to keep him in the team. It's plain as day. You cannot build a team around him and do well

Looks like Jose has the same problem with his big brother (perhaps its a genetic thing) !

--------------------
60 YEARS OF LOYAL SUPPORT
ONCE A BLUE ALWAYS A BLUE.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th April 2021 - 04:25 AM