> Aldershot in Administration
bluesince72
post May 2 2013, 01:54 PM
Post #1

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 7763

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22383276

Guess that means they will start next season on -10 points, if they start it at all. They could not pay their players WITH FL central payments, what chance do they have WITHOUT them, even allowing for the parachute payment?

Who next, Hereford?

When will sense prevail, and the Conference National revert back to what it was originally formed as, a part time league? Every full time club in it is losing money hand over fist in a mad gamble for league 2 status and those 700-800k central payments.

CFC are definitely doing the right thing staying part time and living within budget. Given that around half the league will be part time next season, and around a third of the full time clubs will be in serious financial difficulty, the blues must have every chance of a top 10 finish.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
theonionblog
post May 2 2013, 01:56 PM
Post #2

1st team regular

Member No.: 7897

QUOTE (bluesince72 @ May 2 2013, 02:54 PM) *

Guess that means they will start next season on -10 points, if they start it at all. They could not pay their players WITH FL central payments, what chance do they have WITHOUT them, even allowing for the parachute payment?

Who next, Hereford?

When will sense prevail, and the Conference National revert back to what it was originally formed as, a part time league? Every full time club in it is losing money hand over fist in a mad gamble for league 2 status and those 700-800k central payments.

CFC are definitely doing the right thing staying part time and living within budget. Given that around half the league will be part time next season, and around a third of the full time clubs will be in serious financial difficulty, the blues must have every chance of a top 10 finish.

Exactly!

+Quote Post
PUFF THE MAGIC D...
post May 2 2013, 02:47 PM
Post #3

Squad player

Member No.: 4479

Reinforces the work of TD to make sure the Club is on a sound financial footing !

+Quote Post
Eltonian
post May 2 2013, 03:02 PM
Post #4

1st team regular

Member No.: 8736

QUOTE (theonionblog @ May 2 2013, 02:56 PM) *

Who next, Hereford?

Exactly!

There is a chance they will get demoted to conference north if they lose the agm cup and Stockport will get a reprieve.
Here is some old 200 percent articles about the agm cup.
http://twohundredpercent.net/?p=11712
http://twohundredpercent.net/?p=18766

+Quote Post
newquay blue
post May 2 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #5

Squad player
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 114

What they should is to keep the north and south leagues for league 3 and below, travelling is not helping clubs at tall,
next year if Dover win the play offs the travelling for them is bloody stupid, citysign.GIF citysign.GIF

--------------------
www.quieshotelnewquay.co.uk

+Quote Post
Eltonian
post May 2 2013, 04:46 PM
Post #6

1st team regular

Member No.: 8736

QUOTE (Eltonian @ May 2 2013, 04:02 PM) *
QUOTE (theonionblog @ May 2 2013, 02:56 PM) *

Who next, Hereford?

Exactly!

There is a chance they will get demoted to conference north if they lose the agm cup and Stockport will get a reprieve.
Here is some old 200 percent articles about the agm cup.
http://twohundredpercent.net/?p=11712
http://twohundredpercent.net/?p=18766

They should have said south

This post has been edited by Eltonian: May 2 2013, 04:46 PM

+Quote Post
Charfield Blue
post May 2 2013, 05:02 PM
Post #7

1st team legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 174

I think we can achieve more, but I would take a life flitting between BSN and BSP over going through all that again.

Never again!

--------------------
The Craig Revel-Horwood of non-league football forums - cheers Viv

One Nugget short of a Happy Meal

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post May 2 2013, 05:48 PM
Post #8

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

Timely warning to all Football Club owners from one of the two original founders of Aldershot in 1992.

Statement from Graham Brookland

Aldershot Football Club was liquidated in March 1992. It was a sad, sad time to be a supporter of the football club. It was like a bereavement. It appeared terminal. It was.

However I was proud to be involved in the formation of a new football club soon after. Proud to own one of the two shares that formed the club.
We formed Aldershot Town Football Club the following month. A structured club built on morals, ethics, integrity and sheer hard graft. The aim was to give the supporters a football club they could be proud of. To be part of something special. A club that was part of a community committed to what it could give and not what it could take.
When we formed the club it was my directive with Terry Owens that there would be a supporters representative on the Board of Directors and this occurred in the first few years but eventually this was lost in the translation.
We enjoyed the most fantastic occasions. We had fun, it was great to be involved. The supporters had their football back, they enjoyed coming to games and we achieved five promotions in 16 years to reach that ultimate dream of the Football League. We earned a reputation of all that was right in football, especially in those early years. We did it in the right manner.
I sit here today wondering how it could all fall apart in such a rapid fashion. The day the club that I was so proud to be a part of forming has headed into administration. How can it be? Where did it go wrong?

Every supporter of Aldershot Town Football Club deserves an answer. Every player, member of staff, sponsor, creditor and shareholder deserves an answer. Our community deserves an answer.

Since the AGM of 18th April the club has entered a period of rapid decline and embarrassment. This emanated from the Majority Shareholder who has continued to mislead the supporters, change the rules on a daily basis and has blatantly provided untruths and who has so much to answer for. His actions are unforgivable. I have never been involved in dealing with such a complex character than I have over the last fortnight. I never want to see the man again.

However our club entering into administration has been caused by a sequence of events over a period of time. In truth was the club ever really ready to compete in the Football League? Did we ever really take advantage of our Football League status?

Despite continued efforts to restructure the finances it never really had any breathing space. We “hit the jackpot” 18 months ago with a tremendous run in the League Cup and the dream of playing Manchester United in the fourth round. Did we ever capitalise on the profile that match provided?

Too high a changeover in personnel within the Board of Directors and within the non playing staff of the club has been unhelpful too. No structure, no guidance, no purpose and no accountability.

During the course of the close season of 2012/13 all control evaporated as expenditure was made in the most ridiculous of areas. Who controlled the spending? Who gave the green light for these decisions? Who takes responsibility?

In the early days of our club everything went though my office. We responded and we knew how to deal with the fans. We communicated. I spoke to the two Chairmen I served under, Terry Owens and Karl Prentice, frequently every day. We weren’t perfect but we did our best. Do you know what? We did ok!

I saw a letter in the Aldershot News this morning from a frustrated supporter about the current situation the club is in and it brought back memories. I can recall when the gentleman concerned wrote a letter of complaint into the football club. He had a genuine gripe. I took the time to contact him and met him at his house. We had a cup of tea and a chat and all was well. That was what the club was all about and it is what we did. We listened.

These days there are staff in the front office, portacabins, hospitality boxes, back rooms, front rooms. It is all fragmented. There has been no direction. Nobody really has known what their responsibilities have been for a period of time now. It is unacceptable.
People try to tell me that entering administration will be the best thing that could have happened considering the murky nature of the clubs structure and finances. It’s not for me however.

I cannot look people in the eye, those that I have brought to the club over the years, who may have to agree a revised payment, if at all, for services they have provided to the football club.
I speak to players, staff and supporters and this hurts like nothing we have ever experienced before. We are all suffering. We are all numb.

There will be a process now to preserve the future of Aldershot Town Football Club through the administrators. I sincerely hope that the club is able to secure a healthy future. That is paramount.

For whoever takes control of the club I plead with the following:

Respect the supporters. Listen to the supporters.

Please ensure that there is representation on the Board of Directors from the Shots Trust.

Please provide clear communications and engage with the supporters from day one.

Value your fans and don’t take them for granted.

Get back to basics and please do not provide ridiculous “plans” that are not achievable.

Do not mislead the supporters under any circumstance.

Just live within your means and explain why you are doing so.

Just tell the truth as it is.

Communications moving forward will be essential for whoever takes control of the club. Administration has severely dented the clubs reputation. It has jeopardised the values and relationships that we spent years to build. It has tarnished our trust and respect.

Serious work will be required to rebuild the clubs reputation within the community and with the supporters too. There is a lot of work ahead for whoever the successful bidder is.

I truly hope that whoever takes control of the club in the future they have the best interests of Aldershot Town Football Club.

For me however, it is back to the terraces. I have spent 21 years at the heartbeat of our club. I am not willing to be fighting fires anymore.

I have enjoyed the good times and there were some great times too. I have enjoyed the characters I have met. I value every relationship and friendship I have built over the years. Lifelong friends. Good people. The club will always be so special to me. I will always look back with pride on what we achieved. I cannot look back with pride over the sequence of events over the last two weeks though. It is rotten to the core.

I have confirmed to the club that I will be stepping down as Head of Media with immediate effect. I want no more to do with the internal organisation and running of the club.
What I am also not prepared to do is become a mouthpiece for potential investors keen to purchase the club. I know that my name will be used as a credible source to interested parties and that is not fair to me as an individual.

I have sacrificed so much over the years in my career because I wanted to keep my link with the football club in a variety of roles. I always thought it was essential to have somebody involved who was there at the formation. I have always put the club first. My family and career come first now and I leave with my head held high.

To me this feels like a bereavement all over again. I never anticipated that we would ever have to experience such a situation again. This is a tale of woe and destruction on a huge scale and it leaves a scar with me. For me this is the saddest of sad days.

There are plenty of supporters who will have that passion, desire and determination to ensure that your voice is heard. Make sure it is. Make sure that people listen. Don’t ever be fobbed off again about your football club. Go back to the values we had in 1992.

Remember- The fan comes first!

Up The Shots!

Graham Brookland

+Quote Post
Charfield Blue
post May 2 2013, 06:06 PM
Post #9

1st team legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 174

Heartfelt and powerful stuff. A great lesson.

--------------------
The Craig Revel-Horwood of non-league football forums - cheers Viv

One Nugget short of a Happy Meal

+Quote Post
Lobster
post May 2 2013, 06:17 PM
Post #10

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

Heard that Farnborough have gone into admin too, only six years after reforming.

It will be a real badge of shame for the first reformed club that ends up folding again.

+Quote Post
3mm
post May 2 2013, 06:41 PM
Post #11

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Charfield Blue @ May 2 2013, 07:06 PM) *
Heartfelt and powerful stuff. A great lesson.

Powerful stuff indeed. It sounds like if you cut him, he'd bleed Aldershot Town Football Club. You've got to admire someone who loves their local football club in the way this man does bowdown.gif

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
TomCCFC87
post May 2 2013, 06:47 PM
Post #12

Exiled in York

Member No.: 765

Will they be docked points next season or have them taken off their total for this season as technically with the playoff final still to play the BSP season hasnt ended even tho most teams have played all their games.

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post May 2 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #13

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

QUOTE (TomCCFC87 @ May 2 2013, 07:47 PM) *
Will they be docked points next season or have them taken off their total for this season as technically with the playoff final still to play the BSP season hasnt ended even tho most teams have played all their games.

Play off matches are considered to be outside the normal playing season so next season.

+Quote Post
LSBlue
post May 2 2013, 11:19 PM
Post #14

LS Blue

Member No.: 3181

Who next, Hereford?

Macclesfield

+Quote Post
1midfield genera...
post May 2 2013, 11:45 PM
Post #15

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8334

We need to consolidate in the Conference Premier for a couple of seasons and sit back and watch a load of ex-football league clubs around us implode.

+Quote Post
Jimianto
post May 3 2013, 08:29 AM
Post #16

Come On City!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1243

QUOTE (1midfield general @ May 3 2013, 12:45 AM) *
We need to consolidate in the Conference Premier for a couple of seasons and sit back and watch a load of ex-football league clubs around us implode.

Sadly (for the fans of these clubs) this will certainly happen. The drop off in income from being in L2 to the Conference is massive. I am sure there will be paracute payments for the first few season, but after that staying full time is a massive financial risk.

+Quote Post
waggoner
post May 3 2013, 11:00 AM
Post #17

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

Boston went into administration after their last league game ended a few years back and the BSP told um to fook off and passed them onto the BSN so the conference may not want them because of the risk of not forfilling their fixtures.......i remember a club who were in dire straits joining the BSP and going bust 4 years ago thus making the league a mockery that year..i wonder who that club were rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Lobster
post May 3 2013, 11:09 AM
Post #18

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (waggoner @ May 3 2013, 12:00 PM) *

Boston went into administration after their last league game ended a few years back and the BSP told um to fook off and passed them onto the BSN so the conference may not want them because of the risk of not forfilling their fixtures.......i remember a club who were in dire straits joining the BSP and going bust 4 years ago thus making the league a mockery that year..i wonder who that club were rolleyes.gif

I think the broad consensus was that that was largely down to the Conference having a beef with Boston, and Steve Evans in particular.

+Quote Post
Aussie-Blue-Whit...
post May 3 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #19

Squad player

Member No.: 4294

If you look at Burton Albion, they won the Conference whilst being part-time, consolodated in league 2 and now look to be pushing for promotion to League 1. Great example for clubs to follow IMO

--------------------
Grandson of a former Chester player, had many stories of Sealand Road told to me

+Quote Post
Aussie-Blue-Whit...
post May 3 2013, 12:21 PM
Post #20

Squad player

Member No.: 4294

Also surely Aldershot have only themselves to blame for this situation. wound up once before and obviously lessons haven't been learnt....

--------------------
Grandson of a former Chester player, had many stories of Sealand Road told to me

+Quote Post
Rob
post May 4 2013, 03:37 PM
Post #21

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2063

QUOTE (a view from outside @ May 2 2013, 06:48 PM) *
Timely warning to all Football Club owners from one of the two original founders of Aldershot in 1992.

Statement from Graham Brookland

Aldershot Football Club was liquidated in March 1992. It was a sad, sad time to be a supporter of the football club. It was like a bereavement. It appeared terminal. It was.

However I was proud to be involved in the formation of a new football club soon after. Proud to own one of the two shares that formed the club.
We formed Aldershot Town Football Club the following month. A structured club built on morals, ethics, integrity and sheer hard graft. The aim was to give the supporters a football club they could be proud of. To be part of something special. A club that was part of a community committed to what it could give and not what it could take.
When we formed the club it was my directive with Terry Owens that there would be a supporters representative on the Board of Directors and this occurred in the first few years but eventually this was lost in the translation.
We enjoyed the most fantastic occasions. We had fun, it was great to be involved. The supporters had their football back, they enjoyed coming to games and we achieved five promotions in 16 years to reach that ultimate dream of the Football League. We earned a reputation of all that was right in football, especially in those early years. We did it in the right manner.
I sit here today wondering how it could all fall apart in such a rapid fashion. The day the club that I was so proud to be a part of forming has headed into administration. How can it be? Where did it go wrong?

Every supporter of Aldershot Town Football Club deserves an answer. Every player, member of staff, sponsor, creditor and shareholder deserves an answer. Our community deserves an answer.

Since the AGM of 18th April the club has entered a period of rapid decline and embarrassment. This emanated from the Majority Shareholder who has continued to mislead the supporters, change the rules on a daily basis and has blatantly provided untruths and who has so much to answer for. His actions are unforgivable. I have never been involved in dealing with such a complex character than I have over the last fortnight. I never want to see the man again.

However our club entering into administration has been caused by a sequence of events over a period of time. In truth was the club ever really ready to compete in the Football League? Did we ever really take advantage of our Football League status?

Despite continued efforts to restructure the finances it never really had any breathing space. We “hit the jackpot” 18 months ago with a tremendous run in the League Cup and the dream of playing Manchester United in the fourth round. Did we ever capitalise on the profile that match provided?

Too high a changeover in personnel within the Board of Directors and within the non playing staff of the club has been unhelpful too. No structure, no guidance, no purpose and no accountability.

During the course of the close season of 2012/13 all control evaporated as expenditure was made in the most ridiculous of areas. Who controlled the spending? Who gave the green light for these decisions? Who takes responsibility?

In the early days of our club everything went though my office. We responded and we knew how to deal with the fans. We communicated. I spoke to the two Chairmen I served under, Terry Owens and Karl Prentice, frequently every day. We weren’t perfect but we did our best. Do you know what? We did ok!

I saw a letter in the Aldershot News this morning from a frustrated supporter about the current situation the club is in and it brought back memories. I can recall when the gentleman concerned wrote a letter of complaint into the football club. He had a genuine gripe. I took the time to contact him and met him at his house. We had a cup of tea and a chat and all was well. That was what the club was all about and it is what we did. We listened.

These days there are staff in the front office, portacabins, hospitality boxes, back rooms, front rooms. It is all fragmented. There has been no direction. Nobody really has known what their responsibilities have been for a period of time now. It is unacceptable.
People try to tell me that entering administration will be the best thing that could have happened considering the murky nature of the clubs structure and finances. It’s not for me however.

I cannot look people in the eye, those that I have brought to the club over the years, who may have to agree a revised payment, if at all, for services they have provided to the football club.
I speak to players, staff and supporters and this hurts like nothing we have ever experienced before. We are all suffering. We are all numb.

There will be a process now to preserve the future of Aldershot Town Football Club through the administrators. I sincerely hope that the club is able to secure a healthy future. That is paramount.

For whoever takes control of the club I plead with the following:

Respect the supporters. Listen to the supporters.

Please ensure that there is representation on the Board of Directors from the Shots Trust.

Please provide clear communications and engage with the supporters from day one.

Value your fans and don’t take them for granted.

Get back to basics and please do not provide ridiculous “plans” that are not achievable.

Do not mislead the supporters under any circumstance.

Just live within your means and explain why you are doing so.

Just tell the truth as it is.

Communications moving forward will be essential for whoever takes control of the club. Administration has severely dented the clubs reputation. It has jeopardised the values and relationships that we spent years to build. It has tarnished our trust and respect.

Serious work will be required to rebuild the clubs reputation within the community and with the supporters too. There is a lot of work ahead for whoever the successful bidder is.

I truly hope that whoever takes control of the club in the future they have the best interests of Aldershot Town Football Club.

For me however, it is back to the terraces. I have spent 21 years at the heartbeat of our club. I am not willing to be fighting fires anymore.

I have enjoyed the good times and there were some great times too. I have enjoyed the characters I have met. I value every relationship and friendship I have built over the years. Lifelong friends. Good people. The club will always be so special to me. I will always look back with pride on what we achieved. I cannot look back with pride over the sequence of events over the last two weeks though. It is rotten to the core.

I have confirmed to the club that I will be stepping down as Head of Media with immediate effect. I want no more to do with the internal organisation and running of the club.
What I am also not prepared to do is become a mouthpiece for potential investors keen to purchase the club. I know that my name will be used as a credible source to interested parties and that is not fair to me as an individual.

I have sacrificed so much over the years in my career because I wanted to keep my link with the football club in a variety of roles. I always thought it was essential to have somebody involved who was there at the formation. I have always put the club first. My family and career come first now and I leave with my head held high.

To me this feels like a bereavement all over again. I never anticipated that we would ever have to experience such a situation again. This is a tale of woe and destruction on a huge scale and it leaves a scar with me. For me this is the saddest of sad days.

There are plenty of supporters who will have that passion, desire and determination to ensure that your voice is heard. Make sure it is. Make sure that people listen. Don’t ever be fobbed off again about your football club. Go back to the values we had in 1992.

Remember- The fan comes first!

Up The Shots!

Graham Brookland

Everyone involved in running our club should read this and make sure that nothing ever goes this way, may be even speak to Graham and put things in place to ensure that it can't.

+Quote Post
3mm
post May 4 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #22

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Aussie-Blue-Whitey @ May 3 2013, 01:19 PM) *
If you look at Burton Albion, they won the Conference whilst being part-time, consolodated in league 2 and now look to be pushing for promotion to League 1. Great example for clubs to follow IMO

A big factor in their promotion to the Football League was their great luck to be drawn against Manchester United in the FA Cup 3rd round. They drew 0-0 at home and got a replay away at Old Trafford.

Exeter also got two games against Man Utd the year before Burton. The money generated from two FA Cup games with Manchester United catapulted both clubs into the Football League.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Billy W
post May 4 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #23

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

QUOTE (3mm @ May 4 2013, 04:57 PM) *
QUOTE (Aussie-Blue-Whitey @ May 3 2013, 01:19 PM) *

A big factor in their promotion to the Football League was their great luck to be drawn against Manchester United in the FA Cup 3rd round. They drew 0-0 at home and got a replay away at Old Trafford.

Exeter also got two games against Man Utd the year before Burton. The money generated from two FA Cup games with Manchester United catapulted both clubs into the Football League.

'All we needed was a cup run' biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Southern Blue
post May 4 2013, 10:32 PM
Post #24

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2331

Horrible club that laughed and waved us out the league.

--------------------
I want to play a game.

+Quote Post
billy whiz
post May 5 2013, 09:28 AM
Post #25

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 6249

QUOTE (Southern Blue @ May 4 2013, 11:32 PM) *
Horrible club that laughed and waved us out the league.

back in season 70/71 I tried to collect a programme from every game. home and away, but could not travel any distance
i was missing just 2
I wrote to Aldershot sending a postal order for 1 shilling
The manager Jimmy Melia bowdown.gif sent me a lovely letter with the programme
however
Southend kept my postal order and did not even reply angry.gif
revenge was our 4-0 FA Cup win with the Ian Edwards 4 goals

maybe clubs have changed complexion with the power of cyberspace and twitter?

Whatever, we are now going in different directions
COYB cityscarf.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2019 - 02:44 PM