Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fans owned club with limited budgets.....or..., ... back to a "sugar daddy" buying success?
Neil Fishers Big...
post Mar 6 2016, 05:20 PM
Post #1

Club Director
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2595

I firmly believe if there was a vote put to CFU members to this question, the vote would be to stay as we were.
For me it's a fans owned club every time!
For all its faults, restictive budgets and limited attendances, I still prefer it, knowing we are not in debt and have control of our own destiny.
Of course we all want success and winning something, but I think, as is said on another thread, it depends what you want.
I'm not for success at any price, of course success on the pitch would help with attendances, but we have to accept that we are not going to get big attendances unless we are continually winning or going for Championships as was proved in our recent three championship successes, the irony being that, had Neil Young "followed the plan" we would still be only virtual "newcomers" to this League,anyway.
I think it's a matter of patience and stability first of all,I know it's frustrating the way the team is doing on the pitch, and that debate is well aired on other threads, but I personally hope it won't happen, but if we were to be relegated, I don't think it would be the end of the world, it would be a matter of rebuilding a side and making sure we we well prepared for a return to the National League.
The alternative is "giving" the club over to a "businessman" who will want run the club his way, with his money,and that to me is turning the clock back to place where I'm sure most of us don't want to return to.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mused
post Mar 6 2016, 05:37 PM
Post #2

1st team captain

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1634

I'm happy as we are. The budget is fine. It's just being used as an excuse for lazy management and coaching as far as I'm concerned. And besides, there aren't ques of investors lining up, willing to throw there money away, as some people might think. Let's look at our previous chairmen.
Barnes, a cruck who got rich off selling our ground.
Crofts, a top bloke and instrumental in keeping the club going during Macc, but of limited funds.
Gutterman, another crook who lined his pockets.
Smith, a complete barn pot who wanted to play football manager for real.
And SV, arguably a money launderer if owing 100k to a laundry in wrexham was anything to go by. Who eventually led the club to bankruptcy.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
WAZ THE BLUE
post Mar 6 2016, 05:44 PM
Post #3

August is the start of another rollercoaster season

Member No.: 1388

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Mar 6 2016, 05:20 PM) *
I firmly believe if there was a vote put to CFU members to this question, the vote would be to stay as we were.
For all its faults, restictive budgets and limited attendances, I still prefer it, knowing we are not in debt and have control of our own destiny.
Of course we all want success and winning something, but I think, as is said on another thread, it depends what you want.
I'm not for success at any price, of course success on the pitch would help with attendances, but we have to accept that we are not going to get big attendances unless we are continually winning or going for Championships as was proved in our recent three championship successes, the irony being that, had Neil Young "followed the plan" we would still be only virtual "newcomers" to this League,anyway.
I think it's a matter of patience and stability first of all,I know it's frustrating the way the team is doing on the pitch, and that debate is well aired on other threads, but I personally hope it won't happen, but if we were to be relegated, I don't think it would be the end of the world, it would be a matter of rebuilding a side and making sure we we well prepared for a return to the National League.
The alternative is "giving" the club over to a "businessman" who will want run the club his way, with his money,and that to me is turning the clock back to place where I'm sure most of us don't want to return to.

As long as you are happy watching non-league football at Chester for the rest of your life. It's not working because of the fan base, Chester need someone with money and the club at heart.

--------------------
BRITISH BY BIRTH, ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

OH , WHEN THE RED ,RED ,ROBIN GOES BOB , BOB, BOBBING ALONG..............

SHOOT THE BAST*RD, SHOOT THE BAST*RD, SHOOT THE BAST*RD !

MASSIVE CLUB MY @RSE !

'THE DAY CHESTER WENT OUT OF THE LEAGUE , I SPENT THE DAY LAUGHING' - BRYN LAW MAY 2000.............. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW ?
ONE WORD ...........KARMA

+Quote Post
mused
post Mar 6 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #4

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

QUOTE (WAZ THE BLUE @ Mar 6 2016, 05:44 PM) *

As long as you are happy watching non-league football at Chester for the rest of your life. It's not working because of the fan base, Chester need someone with money and the club at heart.

Good luck finding that person! Lottery winner maybe? The duke?! Michael Owen?

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
Ean
post Mar 6 2016, 06:11 PM
Post #5

chester football club supporter
Group Icon

Member No.: 2289

citysign.GIF

stay as we are or get a sugur daddy have a great few year go bust and start in north west countys rely on volunteers
to do all the had work get the club back on its feet sell to sugur daddy etc

lets just skip the sugur daddy and keep the club on a level no debt road thank you

--------------------
I'M A FOOL

WHY DON'T YOU BECOME ONE TOO

bugler for the masses
west stand
golf pro to the stars
well nwas anyway

+Quote Post
Catford-Bags
post Mar 6 2016, 06:36 PM
Post #6

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2639

The sooner those that repetitively request for a sugar daddy Model get their heads around the following the better. In the last 35 years I am not aware of a single well meaning sugar daddy requesting to pile shed loads of cash into our club. Why ? BECAUSE THEY DON'T FRICKING EXIST !

--------------------
the world is a flat plate balanced on the back of a giant tortoise ........... and below that, it is tortoises all the way down.

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Mar 6 2016, 06:51 PM
Post #7

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

If there is a list a names of blue in the blood millionaires who want to sugar daddy us I would love to see it.

We should be looking to grow our fan base properly and in a structured way, and growing our cooker oak income off the back of our community work. It may take a long time, but boom and bust once more would be the end.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Richard
post Mar 6 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #8

1st team regular

Member No.: 3477

No brained for me Chris

Fan owned without question. Some people may have changed their views on this in the last two years or so, but not me. 50 odd years of supporting this club and whatever people may say, we have never had it so good. Lots o f work to do to yet to continually improve both on and off the pitch, but the mistakes we make are our own and the fixes ours too

+Quote Post
rimmersring
post Mar 6 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #9

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 10799

why just not get a manager in with a bit of nous, who can get a good bunch of lads together and press top half finish....not that hard surely...other teams in this league have gone down that road....and its worked for them!!

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Mar 6 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #10

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (WAZ THE BLUE @ Mar 6 2016, 05:44 PM) *

Yea great idea that. They could err 'loan' us the money to get into the league and when they either run out of money or get bored we will be right in the s**t
Fan owned every time cityscarf.gif

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Mar 6 2016, 08:03 PM
Post #11

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

As a fan owned club we will never get back into the league because we don't have the fan base to provide the funds. Chester people are apathetic to the club and always have been so I believe the National League is our ceiling. I can live with that if it includes the occasional good cup run and a few flirtations with play-off hopes but playing in a league below the National League is IMO the road to oblivion.

It is all very well saying we need to get involved in the community and to grow the fan base but how can we expect to attract new fans and grow the fan base with a team in the National North or the Evostick. It worked last time because it was all new, and exciting in a perverse way, but to drop down a league would be unacceptable to many fans and this would be reflected in attendances regardless of how well we were doing.

Great play is made about us being a community club but ultimately the club, first and foremost has to be run as a business if it is to survive.

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Mar 6 2016, 08:10 PM
Post #12

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

QUOTE (Richard @ Mar 6 2016, 07:09 PM) *

No brained for me Chris

Fan owned without question. Some people may have changed their views on this in the last two years or so, but not me. 50 odd years of supporting this club and whatever people may say, we have never had it so good. Lots o f work to do to yet to continually improve both on and off the pitch, but the mistakes we make are our own and the fixes ours too

'Never had it so good' - you're having a laugh surely. If you have been supporting 50 years, you must remember the days before we had crooked/mad owners and could attract star players in the late seventies like Alan Oakes, Derek Jeffries, Ian Edwards etc and came close to playing in what is now the Championship. OK we are now in control of our own destiny but let's remember we are watching pub league football when compared with previous teams and if you are happy with that, that's fine but to say we've never had it so good is ridiculous.

+Quote Post
Harry Lime
post Mar 6 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #13

1st team regular

Member No.: 4989

Fans owned.

No competition really after what we, and many other clubs, have been through.

I suspect those who are suggesting the 'sugar daddy' way, are the younger supporters, who haven't been through the full pain of 25 years of poor owners.
The problem isn't fan ownership it's actually the lack of financial fair play rules in this league and the disparity between the league 2 funding and this league. One automatic promotion place doesn't help either.

If financial fair play comes in along with 4 up 4 down this league would change significantly for the better.

The hard part for us is how to play entertaining attractive football, while winning games, on an average budget. If we could do that most realistic people would be fairly happy.
4 years ago we were in the Evostik. Tranmere were in League 1. It is reasonable to expect them to be better structured as a club than us. It takes time to build a club to be competitive in this league. It's probably the most difficult league, financially, to be stuck in.

+Quote Post
stadium way
post Mar 6 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #14

Youth team

Member No.: 12280

Nail on head Rimmersring. Burr is exactly the type of manager we don't need in our financial position. There are managers out there that love to just get on with it. Blokes that thrive in a backs to wall situation. I keep thinking of that bunch of misfits that Graham Barrow got us promoted with.

+Quote Post
blue forever
post Mar 6 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #15

Squad player

Member No.: 4535

QUOTE (stadium way @ Mar 6 2016, 08:17 PM) *
Nail on head Rimmersring. Burr is exactly the type of manager we don't need in our financial position. There are managers out there that love to just get on with it. Blokes that thrive in a backs to wall situation. I keep thinking of that bunch of misfits that Graham Barrow got us promoted with.

Thats your view and do YOU have any one in mind that would be able to do a better job ?

+Quote Post
Richard
post Mar 6 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #16

1st team regular

Member No.: 3477

QUOTE (Billy W @ Mar 6 2016, 08:10 PM) *

No brained for me Chris

'Never had it so good' - you're having a laugh surely. If you have been supporting 50 years, you must remember the days before we had crooked/mad owners and could attract star players in the late seventies like Alan Oakes, Derek Jeffries, Ian Edwards etc and came close to playing in what is now the Championship.

No I am most certainly not having a laugh Billy
Of course there were some good times on the pitch during the Times you mention, but we were never in control of our own destiny and to be clear that is what is important to me. If that means a reduction in the expectations, so be it.
I do look back with fondness at our league days, indeed the memory of my first game is indelibly marked in my brain, over 10000 in for a boxing day match in the mid sixties. I'm really proud of what we have achieved since reforming and whilst I want to win more games, longevity of our sustainable football club as part of the Community , always looking to improve and learn from our mistakes is why I say that we have Never had it so good. You don't agree and that's fine. It's a board for opinions

+Quote Post
Buckley Blue
post Mar 6 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #17

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 7121

QUOTE (blue forever @ Mar 6 2016, 08:25 PM) *

Thats your view and do YOU have any one in mind that would be able to do a better job ?

Same tired response, it is the boards job to pick a manager not ours so it doesn't matter if we do or don't have anyone in mind

+Quote Post
Saltney Blue
post Mar 6 2016, 08:48 PM
Post #18

Calm down dear!
Group Icon

Member No.: 20

At what cost were the good times of past?

I remember being in a state of ecstasy on the evening of the 17th April 2004. Back in the Football League - the bubbles in the champagne that we supped at the Mill Hotel that night soon burst!

Some years later, being involved in the Supporters Trust at the time of the winding up of CCFC took away all the thrill of that remained of that night. It was brought about by not being in control of our destiny. Many had woken up and smelt the coffee long before the demise, many sat back in the hope it would turn out right - it didn't - we know the rest.

Be proud of CFU, be proud of the fundamentals of what it stands for and perhaps don't crave the champagne but settle for fact that under CFU, football will be played in this city for the long haul.

+Quote Post
Deva Blue
post Mar 6 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #19

Squad player

Member No.: 11858

For anyone saying it can't be done on our budget. Look at Braintree, a team with a very similar (and perhaps a smaller) budget than ours, yet they are positioned inside the play-off places in fourth.

--------------------
Heard about the bad times, witnessed the good ones.

+Quote Post
Harry Lime
post Mar 6 2016, 09:04 PM
Post #20

1st team regular

QUOTE (blue forever @ Mar 6 2016, 08:25 PM) *

It maybe his view, and it's one I share.

If you're pushing towards the top of a league you can try to play open passing football, because your players are better than the oppositions. If like us, you're/likely to be towards the wrong end, you play a different way.

You wouldn't trust Arsene Wenger or Robbie Martinez to keep a poor team up, but Sam Alladyce might. It's easier to get points with a well organised direct team, than a young passing team.

SB has always had a team towards the top of a league and a fairly big budget. Maybe it allowed him to play that way. I'm surprised, and disappointed, he's still persisting with how we play.

+Quote Post
stadium way
post Mar 6 2016, 09:08 PM
Post #21

Youth team

Not my job to find a manager who isn't obsessed with pound notes. It must be close to 40 players he has got through this term with an aparant poor budget. He hasnt had to work with players not being paid or a bonkers chairman. This is the biggest club he's managed and for me is getting nowhere and needs to go. Paying him off is money well spent imo.

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Mar 6 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #22

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (stadium way @ Mar 6 2016, 09:08 PM) *
Not my job to find a manager who isn't obsessed with pound notes. It must be close to 40 players he has got through this term with an aparant poor budget. He hasnt had to work with players not being paid or a bonkers chairman. This is the biggest club he's managed and for me is getting nowhere and needs to go. Paying him off is money well spent imo.

What we going to pay him off with?

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Mar 6 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #23

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (Billy W @ Mar 6 2016, 08:10 PM) *

No brained for me Chris

'Never had it so good' - you're having a laugh surely. If you have been supporting 50 years, you must remember the days before we had crooked/mad owners and could attract star players in the late seventies like Alan Oakes, Derek Jeffries, Ian Edwards etc and came close to playing in what is now the Championship. OK we are now in control of our own destiny but let's remember we are watching pub league football when compared with previous teams and if you are happy with that, that's fine but to say we've never had it so good is ridiculous.

At that time the club was very much in debt, the new stand turned out to be "albatross" around the clubs neck, and eventually cost the club any financially stability.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
stadium way
post Mar 6 2016, 09:27 PM
Post #24

Youth team

So its impossible to sit down with him, show him the precarious position he has got us in (AGAIN) and offer some sort of staggered severence pay . At the very least he may grasp the situation, if he was anymore layed back he,d be horizontal.

+Quote Post
Harry Lime
post Mar 6 2016, 09:28 PM
Post #25

1st team regular

QUOTE (stadium way @ Mar 6 2016, 09:08 PM) *

Assuming we stay up . . . . .

The chairman, and the operations board, should sit down with SB and run through the expectations for next season. He should ask what he's learned from this season, and how he can fix it.
If they're not convinced then there's a difficult decision to be made, quickly.
I'd be tempted to tell SB his budget will be down due to lower expected crowds after a disappointing season, and ask how he'd adjust the squad to cope with that.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th December 2019 - 05:28 AM