Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CFU at a crossroads by Jim Green
Saturday_3pm
post Nov 5 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #1

Squad player

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1581

Dont know if this article is up on a different thread, but deserves one of its own anyway.
Very interesting what JG has to say, a lot of it has been discussed on here recently and Ive heard fans at games discussing similar things.
http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/sport/fo...united-10388607

--------------------
football on saturday....down the pub for 12...at the ground for 3......back for good this time, to watch some fookin footie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Nov 5 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #2

Club Director
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (Saturday_3pm @ Nov 5 2015, 06:41 PM) *
Dont know if this article is up on a different thread, but deserves one of its own anyway.
Very interesting what JG has to say, a lot of it has been discussed on here recently and Ive heard fans at games discussing similar things.

Sorry to be cynical, but he's got all that from Deva Chat, doubt very much whether he has spoken to anyone at the club.
Like last weeks desperate "poll" trying to be controversial to create a story.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
jack
post Nov 5 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #3

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3692

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Nov 5 2015, 08:19 PM) *

Sorry to be cynical, but he's got all that from Deva Chat, doubt very much whether he has spoken to anyone at the club.

Maybe he's tried but can't get in touch with Gren?

We're not all lucky enough to be good pals with him, you know?

rolleyes.gif

Good article from Jim Green, as usual. Agree with all that he says.

+Quote Post
Richard
post Nov 5 2015, 08:46 PM
Post #4

1st team regular

Member No.: 3477

QUOTE (jack @ Nov 5 2015, 08:35 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Nov 5 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #5

Club Director
Group Icon

rolleyes.gif

Well why not make sure he speaks to the chairman before printing it?
Grenville would be happy to sit down with him to discuss the club at anytime,as he will with anyone else.
My friendship with Grenville has got nothing to do with it, he's doing a brilliant job as chairman considering he is still in full time work.
What I do know is that supporters and the local press should be focusing more on what is positive about the club and not continually on the negative.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Nov 5 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #6

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Nov 5 2015, 09:19 PM) *

Why would he need to speak to anyone at the club to write an opinion piece?

As a lifelong supporter, founding board member and local reporter attending 50 plus games a season he is as well qualified as anyone I know?

He gets it bang on for me, tough times but we remain firmly in control of our own destiny.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Nov 5 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #7

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

rolleyes.gif

Jim is spot on with his comments, as always.

NFBF, Grenville is a good man, and is extremely passionate about this football club. I know he is extremely frustrated by what he see's is unjust criticism of the board on here (I've heard it from his own mouth at home games), however we are just as passionate to see the club flourish in the community and we won't do that if we continue to miss opportunities - such as a complete lack of any soccer schools during the recent half term (mini-kickers). There was a lady posting on here the other day who had to take her grandson to Wrexham - and who said afterwards that her grandson now wants a Wrexham shirt!!! I'm sorry but occurrences like that are inexcusable.

We should be hitting the community during end of term, and half term time to get to the kids promoting the club through soccer skills sessions through all ages groups, rewarding those taking part with free match tickets, inviting players down to meet and greet those kids taking part and offer them advice.

You cannot deny that the club don't do enough in the community.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Nov 5 2015, 08:57 PM
Post #8

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Nov 5 2015, 08:51 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

My friendship with Grenville has got nothing to do with it, he's doing a brilliant job as chairman considering he is still in full time work.
What I do know is that supporters and the local press should be focusing more on what is positive about the club and not continually on the negative.

Have you read the piece? It's pretty balanced on the whole and has a lot of positives to say, but it also correctly points out that this is a crucial time for the club and CFU, and that membership is dwindling.

I agree the 'hits and misses' thing last week wasn't a good idea, but you're coming across as a bit thin-skinned here NFBF, and I hope the club aren't sharing your mindset that any kind of criticism is just an attempt to be controversial.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Nov 5 2015, 09:00 PM
Post #9

I'm not Irish!

rolleyes.gif

Grenville would be happy to sit down with him to discuss the club at anytime,as he will with anyone else.

Maybe if the club decided to communicate with the fan base a bit more often about the positive work they are doing in the community and what plans they have in place etc etc, then we'd appreciate their efforts a bit more.

Communication is a two-way street mate, fans of the club are voicing their opinions on where we feel the club can improve, but it doesn't appear that we're being listened to!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Richard
post Nov 5 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #10

1st team regular

QUOTE (Richard @ Nov 5 2015, 08:46 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

I don't disagree, but it asks questions , the sort of questions we all are asking ourselves.
Engagement and building from here is a really hot topic though
It's going to be so tough, but it can be done, but whatever happens we have to be sustainable.
To risk everything we have built chasing on field success would be madness.
Building a strong CFU membership and a real drive into the Community via the Trust will pay dividends, as will nurturing our youth system to produce home grown talent. Long term player development has to be seriously considered and whilst this may cost us short term in league position, its a strategy that we should consider. I just think we have to dare to be different
Just a personal opinion

+Quote Post
therm
post Nov 5 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #11

1st team regular
Group Icon

Member No.: 643

QUOTE (XWWB @ Nov 5 2015, 08:57 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

Have you read the piece? It's pretty balanced on the whole and has a lot of positives to say, but it also correctly points out that this is a crucial time for the club and CFU, and that membership is dwindling.

I agree the 'hits and misses' thing last , but you're coming across as a bit thin-skinned here NFBF, and I hope the club aren't sharing your mindset that any kind of criticism is just an attempt to be controversial.

Not dwindling... increased numbers on last year already and 'renewals' are still coming in as they usually do prior to AGM.

--------------------
...It's a helluva start, it could be made into a monster
If we all pull together as a team.

+Quote Post
Arrogant Blue
post Nov 5 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #12

3 in a row

Member No.: 133

Keep burying your head in the sand and believing everything is wonderful at the end of Bumpers Lane.

By the way the "hit or miss" was brilliant. It provoked a positive reaction from the majority of players this week.

--------------------
One love, we don't need another love. One love, one heart and one soul. We can have it all, easy, peasy, ooh ho ho!

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Nov 5 2015, 09:08 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (therm @ Nov 5 2015, 09:03 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

I agree the 'hits and misses' thing last , but you're coming across as a bit thin-skinned here NFBF, and I hope the club aren't sharing your mindset that any kind of criticism is just an attempt to be controversial.

Not dwindling... increased numbers on last year already and 'renewals' are still coming in as they usually do prior to AGM.

Stand corrected, it's lower than it was in the Evo Stik League though and so are attendances.

+Quote Post
Richard
post Nov 5 2015, 09:22 PM
Post #14

1st team regular

QUOTE (Arrogant Blue @ Nov 5 2015, 09:04 PM) *

Keep burying your head in the sand and believing everything is wonderful at the end of Bumpers Lane.

By the way the "hit or miss" was brilliant. It provoked a positive reaction from the majority of players this week.

No it wasn't brilliant. It was wrong on a number of levels and my guess is that given the benefit of hindsight they would not have done it
Will they have the courage to admit that though? My respect for the Chronicle has slipped a notch or two.

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Nov 5 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #15

Club Director
Group Icon

rolleyes.gif

I agree the 'hits and misses' thing last week wasn't a good idea, but you're coming across as a bit thin-skinned here NFBF, and I hope the club aren't sharing your mindset that any kind of criticism is just an attempt to be controversial.

No I am not thin skinned, I care passionately care about my football club! There are more positives about our club, and what we have achieved, than negatives.
My mindset is my own,everything written by me on here is my own opinion.
There are some things that are great about our club, and I'm going to blow my own trumpet here, thanks to our brilliant membership the Senior Blues, now in its fifth season goes from strength to strength.
The Youth team did brilliantly the other night, thanks to Calum and his staff they to are a credit to the club.
I do know that the continued criticism and personal attacks on here, that have been made about the club and people involved with the club, have,of course, made the club reluctant to respond as quickly as some people would like, that is my opinion based on talking to people I know.
Of course the club is far from perfect, no business, club, or organisation is! But there are better ways to resolve these issues.
Someone had mentioned a problem with the community trust, Jon McCarthy is a very approachable man, go and see him if you really are annoyed about something involved in the CT.
A lot of the problem today is the use of social media, all communication seems to be done by that today, instead of addressing some problems by going to the person themselves.
All the people I know at the club wouldn't hesitate to meet anyone who wanted to discuss something with them.
Overall the club is in a good position both on and off the pitch, not perfect by any means, but does not deserve the amount of criticism on here.
Also I have to make it clear, I have nothing personal against Jim Green, (I certainly have had many problems with his newspaper in the post though!) He has a job to do, I may not agree with what he writes, but like us all he is entitled to his opinion.
In fact I would love Jim Green to speak to the Senior Blues, he would be made very welcome, and I'm sure he would be an interesting speaker.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Charfield Blue
post Nov 5 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #16

1st team legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 174

it is easy to forget what great strides have been made. 5 years into this great adventure, that may have never happened but for the hard work of the few and the support of the many, we are a financially viable and independent fans owned club with approaching £100K in the bank, competing at a level that we were with our "sugar daddy".

Where we have fallen short is communication. NFBF you have to remember that you are close to the club, but many are not.

Many of us will know all too well from our careers that when personnel are stretched, communication can be the first thing to break down and because of this tensions creep in as those that feel they are working hard also feel their efforts are not appreciated as breakdowns in communication are the focus. The Tony Allen saga is a prime example of this - we really shot ourselves in the foot with a combination of naivety, lack of understanding and poor communication. If you want fellow fans to dig deep, then you have to think deep. We all have to buy into this on many different levels and from the heart.

If we get to the point where we can afford another full time position within the club then a communications / marketing officer is an absolute must. A fans run club relies on goodwill and buy in from existing fans as well as the expansion of the fan base. Apathy is our enemy and the enemy is within.

--------------------
The Craig Revel-Horwood of non-league football forums - cheers Viv

One Nugget short of a Happy Meal

+Quote Post
Almost Blue
post Nov 5 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #17

1st team captain

Member No.: 2954

You seem to have a very big axe to grind with The Chronicle . . . any particular reason??

--------------------
English Corner, Harry Mac Terrace - since 1992.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Nov 5 2015, 11:04 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Nov 5 2015, 09:32 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

No I am not thin skinned, I care passionately care about my football club! There are more positives about our club, and what we have achieved, than negatives.
My mindset is my own,everything written by me on here is my own opinion.
There are some things that are great about our club, and I'm going to blow my own trumpet here, thanks to our brilliant membership the Senior Blues, now in its fifth season goes from strength to strength.
The Youth team did brilliantly the other night, thanks to Calum and his staff they to are a credit to the club.
I do know that the continued criticism and personal attacks on here, that have been made about the club and people involved with the club, have,of course, made the club reluctant to respond as quickly as some people would like, that is my opinion based on talking to people I know.
Of course the club is far from perfect, no business, club, or organisation is! But there are better ways to resolve these issues.
Someone had mentioned a problem with the community trust, Jon McCarthy is a very approachable man, go and see him if you really are annoyed about something involved in the CT.
A lot of the problem today is the use of social media, all communication seems to be done by that today, instead of addressing some problems by going to the person themselves.
All the people I know at the club wouldn't hesitate to meet anyone who wanted to discuss something with them.
Overall the club is in a good position both on and off the pitch, not perfect by any means, but does not deserve the amount of criticism on here.
Also I have to make it clear, I have nothing personal against Jim Green, (I certainly have had many problems with his newspaper in the post though!) He has a job to do, I may not agree with what he writes, but like us all he is entitled to his opinion.
In fact I would love Jim Green to speak to the Senior Blues, he would be made very welcome, and I'm sure he would be an interesting speaker.

The problem is NFBF, while I admire the fact that people at the club will make time for face-to-face concerns, it's keeping everything behind closed doors and isn't helping transparency. Like it or not, the internet and social media is where people get most of their information in 2015, and this attitude is sadly a little old-fashioned.

Also, Mike Griffiths had a face-to-face appointment, the outcome of which is that he appears to have been threatened with legal action and no longer posts on DC - not a great advert for approaching the club in person.

+Quote Post
Buckley Blue
post Nov 5 2015, 11:59 PM
Post #19

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 7121

Absolutely spot on

+Quote Post
old boneze
post Nov 6 2015, 07:13 AM
Post #20

Predict-a-score champion 2010-11. 2011-12. 2013-14. 2018-19.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1883

QUOTE (Richard @ Nov 5 2015, 09:02 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

I don't disagree, but it asks questions , the sort of questions we all are asking ourselves.
It's going to be so tough, but it can be done, but whatever happens we have to be sustainable.
Building a strong CFU membership and a real drive into the Community via the Trust will pay dividends, as will nurturing our youth system to produce home grown talent. Long term player development has to be seriously considered and whilst this may cost us short term in league position, its a strategy that we should consider. I just think we have to dare to be different
Just a personal opinion

Mine too.

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Nov 6 2015, 07:25 AM
Post #21

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (old boneze @ Nov 6 2015, 07:13 AM) *
QUOTE (Richard @ Nov 5 2015, 09:02 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

Just a personal opinion

Mine too.

And me

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
I O CITY CITY I ...
post Nov 6 2015, 08:08 AM
Post #22

H-Block

Member No.: 2120

QUOTE (NWAS @ Nov 5 2015, 08:53 PM) *
QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Nov 5 2015, 09:19 PM) *

Why would he need to speak to anyone at the club to write an opinion piece?

As a lifelong supporter, founding board member and local reporter attending 50 plus games a season he is as well qualified as anyone I know?

He gets it bang on for me, tough times but we remain firmly in control of our own destiny.

+1

Jim's piece sums it up nicely in my opinion - I think it could have been much more critical in regards to the way the club has gone in the last 2 seasons.

Jim probably knows the ongoings of the club more than most, being a founding member and reporter for the club.

QUOTE (therm @ Nov 5 2015, 09:03 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

We have gone backwards since our first two seasons - anyone who can't see that should maybe take a trip down to their local SpecSavers. Smaller crowds, less CFU members, less of a buzz around the club, less kids coming in, less community involvement.

We are at a cross-roads, no two ways about it

--------------------
"...you must be prepared to die for the cause" - Harry McNally.

Do not use signature that may offend the easily offended.

+Quote Post
TheTheremin
post Nov 6 2015, 08:14 AM
Post #23

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2194

Communication and the community angle can be developed as we are now.

The real challenge is stepping up to a higher level of football. That is where we are really going to get to a crossroads.

Personally I'm happy and realistic about where we are now if we can consolidate as a soliud mid-table conference side. The step-up I think will have to come from a one-off decent season where we have a coming together of a decent manager and the fortune to get in a decent squad of players at the same time. 85-86 springs to mind, one of our best seasons ever, and incredible after finishing bottom of division 4 in 83-84.

We can't bust the bank or hope for a sugar daddy. We have to be patient. It'll come

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Nov 6 2015, 09:13 AM
Post #24

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Nov 5 2015, 08:56 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

NFBF, Grenville is a good man, and is extremely passionate about this football club. I know he is extremely frustrated by what he see's is unjust criticism of the board on here (I've heard it from his own mouth at home games), however we are just as passionate to see the club flourish in the community and we won't do that if we continue to miss opportunities - such as a complete lack of any soccer schools during the recent half term (mini-kickers). There was a lady posting on here the other day who had to take her grandson to Wrexham - and who said afterwards that her grandson now wants a Wrexham shirt!!! I'm sorry but occurrences like that are inexcusable.

We should be hitting the community during end of term, and half term time to get to the kids promoting the club through soccer skills sessions through all ages groups, rewarding those taking part with free match tickets, inviting players down to meet and greet those kids taking part and offer them advice.

All he is saying is what most of us keep saying on here. Lack of communication, poor community involvement and different revenue streams.
The problem with the club is that THEY DO NOT LISTEN. It has been suggested in the past that DC is the 'political' voice of CFC.
The fans are the very people who use DC, yet the club do not take notice of anything on here, Which is odd considering the fact
that it is the fans who post their views on here. The real problem with the CFU model is that they have meetings (which is all well and good)
BUT!! they only listen to views expressed by CFU members, this is despite the fact that as far as the support goes CFU members are in the minority.
What will be the reply off some of you on here? ''join the CFU if you want a voice'' My reply would be ''if the CFU are that good why is membership dwindling''?
Maybe JG has a point, maybe the CFU model has run it's course. perhaps it's time to look at what can be done next to move the club forward. WITHOUT
getting sugar daddies involved

This post has been edited by waggoner: Nov 6 2015, 09:22 AM

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Nov 6 2015, 09:33 AM
Post #25

I'm not Irish!

QUOTE (waggoner @ Nov 6 2015, 09:13 AM) *
QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Nov 5 2015, 08:56 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

All he is saying is what most of us keep saying on here. Lack of communication, poor community involvement and different revenue streams.
The problem with the club is that THEY DO NOT LISTEN. It has been suggested in the past that DC is the 'political' voice of CFC.
The fans are the very people who use DC, yet the club do not take notice of anything on here, Which is odd considering the fact
that it is the fans who post their views on here. The real problem with the CFU model is that they have meetings (which is all well and good)
BUT!! they only listen to views expressed by CFU members, this is despite the fact that as far as the support goes CFU members are in the minority.
What will be the reply off some of you on here? ''join the CFU if you want a voice'' My reply would be ''if the CFU are that good why is membership dwindling''?
Maybe JG has a point, maybe the CFU model has run it's course. perhaps it's time to look at what can be done next to move the club forward. WITHOUT
getting sugar daddies involved

Sorry but where does Jim say the CFU Model has run it's course??

The CFU 100% fan ownership model is the only model that I want for the football club, I don't want to see any involvement from other individuals, what I want to see from our fan ownership model is better (and more) engagement with the community, and consistently attracting more local children to home games.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2019 - 05:03 AM