Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Antics of an alledged referee, Youth team denied their Spurs
old boneze
post Jan 9 2008, 01:15 AM
Post #1

Predict-a-score champion 2010-11. 2011-12. 2013-14. 2018-19.
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 1883

After driving 200+ miles home, I'm still fuming at the alledged penalty given by an alledged referee.
On 88 minutes with the score at 1-1 Spurs played a through ball in to our box. The Chester keeper Dorman got to the ball first and palmed the ball away. The Spurs forward emulated many of his first team colleagues and did the dive of the dying swan. Technical merit 0. Artistic impression 11/10.
The Spurs fans near us were laughing their heads off but even they were amazed at what happened next.
After being booked (he was last man so why not red?) Dorman went to the far post to get his water bottle for a drink before facing the penalty. Legitimate tactic use every week in every league in the land. While he was by the post and not looking at the ball, the alledged ref blew his whistle and the Spurs lad put the ball in the net! Joke.
At the end the entire Chester team and Simon Davies surrounded the alledged ref.
I suspect they were not asking for his autograph or inviting him for a drink at Rosies.
To be fair to the Spurs fans, many of them stayed to sportingly applaud our lads off the pitch and a lot of them joined us in booing the ref.

I'm not saying we would have won had the game gone to extra time and possible penalties but the lads deserved that chance.
At the start we played the same ‘fluid’ 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation used by the first team. Frankly it didn’t work and the Spurs full backs had a field day overlapping down the wings. Our goal was well worked. A good cross from McManus and a glancing header from Elams. But it was somewhat against the run of play and Spurs always looked like they could get goals which they duly did. Second half we made 2 subs early and changed to 4-4-2 which gave the Spurs defence more problems and contained their attacking ideas.
It looked odds on extra time until the alledged referee took centre stage.
Overall, Spurs probably just about deserved to win but our lads gave their all and you can’t ask more than that.

Well done lads - just not you're lucky day.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Caergwrle Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 01:27 AM
Post #2

1st team legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 1308

QUOTE (old boneze @ Jan 9 2008, 01:15 AM) *
After driving 200+ miles home, I'm still fuming at the alledged penalty given by an alledged referee.
On 88 minutes with the score at 1-1 Spurs played a through ball in to our box. The Chester keeper Dorman got to the ball first and palmed the ball away. The Spurs forward emulated many of his first team colleagues and did the dive of the dying swan. Technical merit 0. Artistic impression 11/10.
The Spurs fans near us were laughing their heads off but even they were amazed at what happened next.
After being booked (he was last man so why not red?) Dorman went to the far post to get his water bottle for a drink before facing the penalty. Legitimate tactic use every week in every league in the land. While he was by the post and not looking at the ball, the alledged ref blew his whistle and the Spurs lad put the ball in the net! Joke.
At the end the entire Chester team and Simon Davies surrounded the alledged ref.
I suspect they were not asking for his autograph or inviting him for a drink at Rosies.
To be fair to the Spurs fans, many of them stayed to sportingly applaud our lads off the pitch and a lot of them joined us in booing the ref.

I'm not saying we would have won had the game gone to extra time and possible penalties but the lads deserved that chance.
At the start we played the same ‘fluid’ 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation used by the first team. Frankly it didn’t work and the Spurs full backs had a field day overlapping down the wings. Our goal was well worked. A good cross from McManus and a glancing header from Elams. But it was somewhat against the run of play and Spurs always looked like they could get goals which they duly did. Second half we made 2 subs early and changed to 4-4-2 which gave the Spurs defence more problems and contained their attacking ideas.
It looked odds on extra time until the alledged referee took centre stage.
Overall, Spurs probably just about deserved to win but our lads gave their all and you can’t ask more than that.

Well done lads - just not you're lucky day.

So sorry to hear about that.Sounds a bit of a farce mate.

Tell me,where did young Mcmanus play?How did he do?I rate this kid VERY highly and so do a lot of scouts from what i heard off someone today.Just hope we can keep him for a few years and get a nice fat fee for him.

Well done for going,you and everyone else who went are a credit to the club we ALL love.Hats off pal.

--------------------
ANDY MILNER I SALUTE YOU

LONG LIVE THE SEALS

Here comes the wise man
And there goes the fool
You see that burnt out world that he is living in
I don't need to look for the rules
Here comes the donkey
Chained to a ten ton plough
He'll never make that hill in a million years
Whip crack beating down

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 01:41 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 173

Sounds like typical Chester bad luck, really, and we're used to this sort of thing. Remember Blackburn in the Cup? The lads did us proud, nevertheless.

How did Jay Owen play? Bright blonde hair, looks like he was number 6 at centre back if the team list on the Spurs official site was in numerical order.

+Quote Post
Caergwrle Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #4

1st team legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mancot Blue @ Jan 9 2008, 01:41 AM) *
Sounds like typical Chester bad luck, really, and we're used to this sort of thing. Remember Blackburn in the Cup? The lads did us proud, nevertheless.

How did Jay Owen play? Bright blonde hair, looks like he was number 6 at centre back if the team list on the Spurs official site was in numerical order.

Nope.I was leathered biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Remember the pub before by the ground,and then thinking,fair play theres a few i havn't seen for years here.Other thatn that,first game i took the Mrs too,glad she drove now.

--------------------
ANDY MILNER I SALUTE YOU

LONG LIVE THE SEALS

Here comes the wise man
And there goes the fool
Here comes the donkey
Whip crack beating down

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jan 9 2008, 02:08 AM
Post #5

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

Referee was completely in the wrong if events took place as you describe

Law 14 - The Penalty Kick

A penalty kick is awarded against a team that commits one of the ten offences for which a direct free kick is awarded, inside its own penalty area and while the ball is in play.

A goal may be scored directly from a penalty kick. Additional time is allowed for a penalty kick to be taken at the end of each half or at the end of periods of extra time.

Position of the Ball and the Players

The ball:

* is placed on the penalty mark

The player taking the penalty kick:

* is properly identified

The defending goalkeeper:

* remains on his goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until the ball has been kicked

The Referee

* does not signal for a penalty kick to be taken until the players have taken up position in accordance with the Law

* decides when a penalty kick has been completed

+Quote Post
Caergwrle Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #6

1st team legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (XWWB @ Jan 9 2008, 02:08 AM) *

A penalty kick is awarded against a team that commits one of the ten offences for which a direct free kick is awarded, inside its own penalty area and while the ball is in play.

A goal may be scored directly from a penalty kick. Additional time is allowed for a penalty kick to be taken at the end of each half or at the end of periods of extra time.

The ball:

* is properly identified

* remains on his goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until the ball has been kicked

The Referee

* does not signal for a penalty kick to be taken until the players have taken up position in accordance with the Law

Room for appeal?Or am i being naive?

--------------------
ANDY MILNER I SALUTE YOU

LONG LIVE THE SEALS

Here comes the wise man
And there goes the fool
Here comes the donkey
Whip crack beating down

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 02:40 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

There is a precedent concerning a replayed match over a refereeing error on a penalty kick, although it is not the same example as this one.

FIFA ordered the 2006 World Cup qualifying play-off between Uzbekistan and Bahrain to be replayed after the Japanese referee ruled out a 39th-minute Uzbekistan penalty and awarded Bahrain an indirect free-kick after a member of the home team encroached into the penalty area. The rules of the game state the penalty should have been re-taken.

+Quote Post
Caergwrle Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 02:43 AM
Post #8

1st team legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mancot Blue @ Jan 9 2008, 02:40 AM) *
There is a precedent cncerning a replayed match over a refereeing error on a penalty kick, although it is not the same example as this one.

FIFA ordered the 2006 World Cup qualifying play-off between Uzbekistan and Bahrain to be replayed after the Japanese referee ruled out a 39th-minute Uzbekistan penalty and awarded Bahrain an indirect free-kick after a member of the home team encroached into the penalty area. The rules of the game state the penalty should have been re-taken.

Do you realise when you're not being a T**t,you're sound?

Cheers for that.But what does that actually mean?have we got room for a stand,or is it me being naive???

--------------------
ANDY MILNER I SALUTE YOU

LONG LIVE THE SEALS

Here comes the wise man
And there goes the fool
Here comes the donkey
Whip crack beating down

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 02:50 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Well the problem is that although the Uzbeki case is a well-known precedent, it is not a precendent for the particular 'crime' of the penalty being taken before the 'keeper is ready.

AFAIK, there is no precedent for this particular instance.

The Laws of the Game state that the goalkeeper must be on the goal line, between the goal post and facing the kicker before the kick is taken - so we may have a case for appeal but I'm no legal expert.

In any case, the referee has made a right cock-up of it by allowing the goal to stand.

+Quote Post
Caergwrle Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 02:58 AM
Post #10

1st team legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mancot Blue @ Jan 9 2008, 02:50 AM) *
Well the problem is that although the Uzbeki case is a well-known precedent, it is not a precendent for the particular 'crime' of the penalty being taken before the 'keeper is ready.

AFAIK, there is no precedent for this particular instance.

The Laws of the Game state that the goalkeeper must be on the goal line, between the goal post and facing the kicker before the kick is taken - so we may have a case for appeal but I'm no legal expert.

In any case, the referee has made a right cock-up of it by allowing the goal to stand.

Ta.

As you say though,our luck means no chance.

Looks like McManus had a good game though smile.gif

Give the lad a break MB eh?I spoke to an ex scout of ours tonight,did a bit for wigan,tranmere,lincoln and others and still gets phone calls now.He's had no less than 5 clubs on to him asking him to look at this kid properly so obviously someones done their homework.

--------------------
ANDY MILNER I SALUTE YOU

LONG LIVE THE SEALS

Here comes the wise man
And there goes the fool
Here comes the donkey
Whip crack beating down

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 03:02 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

I just don't think he is ready for a sustained run in the first team just yet - especially not ahead of Paul Rutherford anyway.

The likes of Rutherford, Roberts and Newton have been unfazed and look worthy of playing week in, week out at this level, whilst Holroyd has really come into form of late. I think McManus is not quite as ready as they are yet. He is raw, but hopefully he will make a bigger impact later in the year.

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Jan 9 2008, 03:03 AM
Post #12

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1207

Sounds like a complete farce!!

--------------------
Posting from the Great White North

+Quote Post
Caergwrle Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 03:10 AM
Post #13

1st team legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mancot Blue @ Jan 9 2008, 03:02 AM) *
I just don't think he is ready for a sustained run in the first team just yet - especially not ahead of Paul Rutherford anyway.

The likes of Rutherford, Roberts and Newton have been unfazed and look worthy of playing week in, week out at this level, whilst Holroyd has really come into form of late. I think McManus is not quite as ready as they are yet. He is raw, but hopefully he will make a bigger impact later in the year.

Maybe,maybe not.

You may be interested to know that yes,Roberts has been mentioned by my mate,but not by nearly as many clubs as McManus.To be honest,those were the only two he mentioned,although the others will attract interest from elsewhere,obviously.

Just saying what i was told but i saw enough in a few minutes at the Goatcourse to see this a raw talent who will go on to much,much better things and good luck to the lad.

As for Roberts,i'm actually amazed no one has come in with a close to 6 figure bid already.He really is a class act.If we keep him a couple more years could be a record transfer for us.

--------------------
ANDY MILNER I SALUTE YOU

LONG LIVE THE SEALS

Here comes the wise man
And there goes the fool
Here comes the donkey
Whip crack beating down

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 03:13 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Kevin Roberts is easily the best product of our youth system for years.

Paul Rutherford next in line, for me.

+Quote Post
GizmoBlue
post Jan 9 2008, 03:13 AM
Post #15

1st team stalwart

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 3408

Wonder if it was a Premiership ref?

--------------------
Once a Seal always a Seal!

Chester are back!

+Quote Post
Caergwrle Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 03:22 AM
Post #16

1st team legend
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mancot Blue @ Jan 9 2008, 03:13 AM) *
Kevin Roberts is easily the best product of our youth system for years.

Paul Rutherford next in line, for me.

Rutherford reminds me very much of a young Ryan Lowe.He has exceptional talent,but don't worry with Bob he will get his chance.No problem there.

We don't have privvy to training so maybe Bob sees things a whole lot different to we do,but,its certainly the best thing to happen here for years.He gives us hope does Bob and so fore to young players looking to get a contract at a club who will give them a chance.Its not just a case of Crewe or bust,we are now a viable option for parents who care about their kids.Come to chester you have a chance.

Very,very refreshing.Where is that dull old scrote AAS when you need a horlicks?

Wright in eh?Keep it up Bob.

--------------------
ANDY MILNER I SALUTE YOU

LONG LIVE THE SEALS

Here comes the wise man
And there goes the fool
Here comes the donkey
Whip crack beating down

+Quote Post
Alan
post Jan 9 2008, 08:14 AM
Post #17

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2483

I am huge supporter of the development of the youth of Chester City and this excellent effort by our lads shows that there is definitely a future for most of them and also financialy for the club.

--------------------
Alan Povey
Chairman of City Fans United
Email: alan.povey@chesterfc.com
Twitter: @AJPovey83

+Quote Post
old boneze
post Jan 9 2008, 09:11 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (Caergwrle Blue @ Jan 9 2008, 02:21 AM) *
QUOTE (XWWB @ Jan 9 2008, 02:08 AM) *

The ball:

* is properly identified

The Referee

Room for appeal?Or am i being naive?

Fact: The players were not in position in accordance with the Law.
As for any further action remember "the referee is the sole arbiter of fact" - however wrong he may be.
Just hope there was an assessor or other FA official present to offer him some constructive advice before he cocks up again.

As for player ratings, I'm not going to single anyone out as it was a team effort and every one of them gave their all.
They all deserve credit for a fighting performance. Be proud of the whole team including the coaches.

+Quote Post
SueC
post Jan 9 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #19

Best DC Exiled Poster for 2007, 2008 & 2009
Group Icon

Member No.: 110

Yep, it was just as Old Boneze says (nice to meet up beforehand, by the way). A Spurs fan sitting near me said he'd never seen anything like it in 32 years of football watching.

It certainly wasn't a pen in the first place and all I can think the ref did (it was at the end furthest away from us) was warn Dorman to get back between the sticks when he went to complain about the decision. When Dorman went to his water bottle first, the ref blew to allow the pen to be taken. But all round it was so harsh and the Spurs fans really couldn't believe it either. I've never heard so much (or any) boo-ing of a referee by the fans of a team who have benefited. Even the chief steward on the night, who'd kindly put up our banner in a prominent spot near the goal, came over and apologised afterwards.

Still, it was a really entertaining game of football and the lads were a credit to Chester and Simon Davies. McManus had a reasonable game, Ellams played well and Owen was a stand-out figure. But generally the whole team put on a great performance - I was really heartened by it. Both goalkeepers made some top-class saves - the Spurs keeper really kept them in it.

It was also good to see an appreciative crowd (1,426), who were clapping all the moments of good footie - be they from City or Spurs.

WELL DONE LADS! bowdown.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SueC
post Jan 9 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #20

Best DC Exiled Poster for 2007, 2008 & 2009
Group Icon

Member No.: 110

QUOTE (GizmoBlue @ Jan 9 2008, 03:13 AM) *

It was Nigel Lugg from Chipstead, Surrey, looks like the highest he does is the Ryman Div 1 level.

--------------------

+Quote Post
3mm
post Jan 9 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #21

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

Even the Spurs website says our goalkeeper appeared to get the ball, but aside from that, the water drinking incident when the penalty was taken is just totally bizarre. Surely the referee should have booked him for timewasting if he was slow in taking up his position in the middle of the goal, but to signal for the kick to be taken when he is stood by the post clearly seems to go directly against the rule that says the players "have to take up position" before the kick is taken. I hope there was a refereeing assessor there to witness his performance angry.gif

Aside from that, well done to the lads, and a suggestion in another thread that these players should be introduced to the crowd at a home game is excellent!

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Jan 9 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

QUOTE (SueC @ Jan 9 2008, 12:25 PM) *
... and Owen was a stand-out figure.

Glad to see that. The next youth product waiting in line for a first team bow.

+Quote Post
GizmoBlue
post Jan 10 2008, 03:08 AM
Post #23

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 3408

Cheers Sue.

--------------------
Once a Seal always a Seal!

Chester are back!

+Quote Post
old boneze
post Nov 1 2015, 06:56 AM
Post #24

Group Icon

QUOTE (SueC @ Jan 9 2008, 12:51 PM) *
QUOTE (GizmoBlue @ Jan 9 2008, 03:13 AM) *

It was Nigel Lugg from Chipstead, Surrey, looks like the highest he does is the Ryman Div 1 level.

The ref versus Forest Green yesterday was one Nigel Lugg of Surrey.
His booking of Worsnop for being fouled was as bizarre as his antics at Spurs 8 years ago.
Perhaps he was frightened by a goalkeeper as a boy?

+Quote Post
Mr. Blonde
post Nov 1 2015, 11:09 AM
Post #25

1st team regular

Member No.: 11510

Ref sounds like a blithering feckless idiot.

On another note, how the hell did you find this thread. We never got that fee for McManus either sad.gif then he went and got someone up the duff

--------------------

Canadian Exile-c**t.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2019 - 10:36 AM