Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Point of View
Bear in the Big ...
post Mar 8 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #1

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 5

Many of you today will pick up and read a front page article in The Chester Evening Leader regarding a possible name change of Chester City FC. The story indicates that the club have made an Official enquiry to The Football Association to change the name to Chester-Halton FC. Although I am completely supportive of The Chairman it is fair to say that we do not see eye to eye on this subject. However I think it is fair that I elaborate on this so you have a better understanding on the Clubs frustrations and why I don’t personally see this as they way forward.

Firstly I fully understand his frustrations regarding the inflexibility of the Lease on The Saunders Honda Stadium and the refusal of Chester City Council and AWG Shelf (formally Morrison’s) to renegotiate the terms that hinder revenue streams other than on a match day. I know people will mention the fact that CCFC pay favorable rent to the City Council but the fact is we would love to sit down with them and talk and if that means we pay more rent to release the hand cuffs then we are not dismissive of that providing the facilities are improved. The Chairman looks at the way that Wirral Borough Council and Halton Borough Council have become Community partners in Tranmere Rovers and Widnes Vikings respectively and rightly asks why Chester City Council doesn’t appear to want to be involved in making this Football Club the focus in our Community.

It is a fact that Chester City Football Club did fall behind on rent payments mostly because of these frustrations, however when I joined the Board I made it my first job to ensure that the back rent was paid and that all future rent payments would be paid as they fell due, by doing this I had hoped to repair the previous damage and rebuild our relationship with the City Council however this seems to have been in vain. Although personally I would have preferred to have kept our frustrations private.

At this moment in time Chester City Council are reviewing the City's needs for Sports and Recreation, over a year ago Chester City Football Club approached Chester City Council with a proposal that The Saunders Honda Stadium and the surrounding area could become part of that review. Therefore it gives me no satisfaction to report that Chester City Council has not responded to that proposal in any way what so ever. We have also made enquiries regarding holding Sunday Markets and Car Boot Sales and asked for guidance on planning applications for signage to be erected within the City Limits and at The SHS to promote future games, again we have received no response to these requests.

The Chairman has assured me that the idea to change the name of the football club was only an enquiry and that no formal application was ever made, he has also indicated that he hoped it might attract new support from a conurbation that does not have a current football league team personally I see no mileage in any name change in any shape or form and most of all by including the name Halton this will have a massively adverse effect and could discourage the fans who support this club from continuing that support, that said SV has assured me that this Football Club will not move from this City and indeed current rules will not allow this.

Although I have known about the name change idea since last Thursday and of The Chairman’s intentions to mention this at the forthcoming AGM, privately I had hoped to discourage him from this idea prior to the AGM. However I still remain supportive of The Chairman but it has to be for the greater good of CHESTER CITY FOOTBALL CLUB.

--------------------
Proud to be one spot of rain in a "shower of fools"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hot Cancer
post Mar 8 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #2

Gimme some sugar baby.
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 1316

I am no longer in favour of Mr Vaughan as chairman. He clearly doesn't give a F**K about the club or the fans.

SV out.

--------------------
How's that for a slice of fried gold?

+Quote Post
Oaks Blue
post Mar 8 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #3

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Member No.: 622

QUOTE (Bear in the Big Blue House @ Mar 8 2007, 03:11 PM) *
Many of you today will pick up and read a front page article in The Chester Evening Leader regarding a possible name change of Chester City FC. The story indicates that the club have made an Official enquiry to The Football Association to change the name to Chester-Halton FC. Although I am completely supportive of The Chairman it is fair to say that we do not see eye to eye on this subject. However I think it is fair that I elaborate on this so you have a better understanding on the Clubs frustrations and why I don’t personally see this as they way forward.

Firstly I fully understand his frustrations regarding the inflexibility of the Lease on The Saunders Honda Stadium and the refusal of Chester City Council and AWG Shelf (formally Morrison’s) to renegotiate the terms that hinder revenue streams other than on a match day. I know people will mention the fact that CCFC pay favorable rent to the City Council but the fact is we would love to sit down with them and talk and if that means we pay more rent to release the hand cuffs then we are not dismissive of that providing the facilities are improved. The Chairman looks at the way that Wirral Borough Council and Halton Borough Council have become Community partners in Tranmere Rovers and Widnes Vikings respectively and rightly asks why Chester City Council doesn’t appear to want to be involved in making this Football Club the focus in our Community.

It is a fact that Chester City Football Club did fall behind on rent payments mostly because of these frustrations, however when I joined the Board I made it my first job to ensure that the back rent was paid and that all future rent payments would be paid as they fell due, by doing this I had hoped to repair the previous damage and rebuild our relationship with the City Council however this seems to have been in vain. Although personally I would have preferred to have kept our frustrations private.

At this moment in time Chester City Council are reviewing the City's needs for Sports and Recreation, over a year ago Chester City Football Club approached Chester City Council with a proposal that The Saunders Honda Stadium and the surrounding area could become part of that review. Therefore it gives me no satisfaction to report that Chester City Council has not responded to that proposal in any way what so ever. We have also made enquiries regarding holding Sunday Markets and Car Boot Sales and asked for guidance on planning applications for signage to be erected within the City Limits and at The SHS to promote future games, again we have received no response to these requests.

The Chairman has assured me that the idea to change the name of the football club was only an enquiry and that no formal application was ever made, he has also indicated that he hoped it might attract new support from a conurbation that does not have a current football league team personally I see no mileage in any name change in any shape or form and most of all by including the name Halton this will have a massively adverse effect and could discourage the fans who support this club from continuing that support, that said SV has assured me that this Football Club will not move from this City and indeed current rules will not allow this.

Although I have known about the name change idea since last Thursday and of The Chairman’s intentions to mention this at the forthcoming AGM, privately I had hoped to discourage him from this idea prior to the AGM. However I still remain supportive of The Chairman but it has to be for the greater good of CHESTER CITY FOOTBALL CLUB.

You can wave bye bye to the loyal fans if this happens, nice one Vaughan you have finished this club for good...

If this goes ahead i'd watch out showing your face in Chester Vaughan you are fast becoming a disgrace!

+Quote Post
Crazy Badger
post Mar 8 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #4

Crazier than a box of...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1035

Does SV think that an "enquiry" to change the name may also get the Council talking to the club about future plans?

If he does, he's an even bigger clown than I thought wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Mar 8 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #5

The Reaper
Group Icon

Member No.: 79

I think Bear that you know what will happen if this name change happens.

--------------------
"Entertainments may be taxed; public houses may be taxed… and the yield devoted to the general revenue. But motorists are to be privileged for all time to have the tax on motors devoted to roads? This is an outrage upon… common sense." Winston Churchill

+Quote Post
Elton Blues
post Mar 8 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #6

Our City, Our Community, Our Club
Group Icon

Member No.: 40

Making a few payments on time after being a bad debter isn't going to turn the Council around overnight, SV needs to realise that spouting off like this will simply have the Council close the blinds aswell as the doors. They simply will not bow down to bully boy tactics.

--------------------
I am one of the thousands of fools and proud of it!

+Quote Post
ThrobsBlackHat
post Mar 8 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #7

RIP

Member No.: 2357

Bear - I understand you support the chairman but don't let your name be blighted by stuff like this.

They will need you in the future to save the club - well done for distancing yourself.

+Quote Post
Mike Griffiths
post Mar 8 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #8

1st team captain

Member No.: 1044

QUOTE (Crazy Badger @ Mar 8 2007, 03:20 PM) *
Does SV think that an "enquiry" to change the name may also get the Council talking to the club about future plans?

If he does, he's an even bigger clown than I thought wink.gif

I think this is Vaughan's mentality sadly. I am not getting what I want so I will threaten them and see what happens.

--------------------
Chester FC - Its the future

+Quote Post
lincoln exile
post Mar 8 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #9

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (Bear in the Big Blue House @ Mar 8 2007, 03:11 PM) *

Sorry Paul I've read what you've written there twice and I still can't see what Mr Vaughan hopes to achieve by doing this other than totally alienating the few supporters the club has left. It gets more like the T***y S***h days everytime he says anything in the press. I despair of this club I really do.

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Mar 8 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #10

The Reaper
Group Icon

QUOTE (ThrobsBlackHat @ Mar 8 2007, 03:24 PM) *
Bear - I understand you support the chairman but don't let your name be blighted by stuff like this.

They will need you in the future to save the club - well done for distancing yourself.

Very well said - someone who can see the way. bowdown.gif

--------------------
"Entertainments may be taxed; public houses may be taxed… and the yield devoted to the general revenue. But motorists are to be privileged for all time to have the tax on motors devoted to roads? This is an outrage upon… common sense." Winston Churchill

+Quote Post
Hot Cancer
post Mar 8 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #11

Gimme some sugar baby.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1316

How are we going to entice more fans from 20+ miles away when the ones that live within 3 miles are going to feel alienated?

--------------------
How's that for a slice of fried gold?

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Mar 8 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #12

The Reaper
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hot Cancer @ Mar 8 2007, 03:33 PM) *
How are we going to entice more fans from 20+ miles away when the ones that live within 3 miles are going to feel alienated?

Lets think about this seriously. Say I live in Halton (Widnes or Runcorn or whatever). I don't like egg chasing I prefer the beautiful game, who should I go and support. 20 miles away Chester - 20 miles away Lverpool or Everton - 10 miles away Wigan - 25 miles away Man U or Man City. Hard one that- who should I cross off my list 1st.? Wake up Vaughan!!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Mar 8 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 173

It is understandable that a club director should not react in the way the rest of us have, so let us not criticise BITBBH for this.

Still, it's a f**king disgrace and I will not support any such FRANCHISE in future.

+Quote Post
Stan Gandy
post Mar 8 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #14

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Member No.: 218

I really cant understand why more headway has not been made in establishing a better working relationship with the council. Graham Proctor and John Price (and others) are both very senior in two of the three main parties and both are committed city fans. I am sure members of the conservative group are fans too. Chester suffers from being a mere district council (with less power, money and authority than the unitary council of Wirral) and it suffers through being perpetually hung with no party having an overall majority and therefore having the muscle to make bold decisions.

One symptom of this situation is that officers have more say than is healthy. I am no longer a Chester resident but I did think it absurd that the new leisure arrangements appear to have no reference whatsoever to the football club. This situation clearly needs to be gripped and it is not as simple as the council just being the enemy.

Can't we find a way of pulling together to harness supporters, the club and the elements within the council to make progress rather than let it divide and therefore weaken us all yet again?

P.S. If Morrisons are part of the problem how about a bit of guerilla campaigning to make their lives difficult on the issue?

--------------------
'Professional football is all about pain' - H.McNally RIP (Stan Gandy is David Evans)

+Quote Post
lincoln exile
post Mar 8 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #15

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (Hot Cancer @ Mar 8 2007, 03:33 PM) *

Preaching to the converted there mate. Unfortunately the one man who doesn't seem to understand this is the man who makes the decisions. I've no doubt quite a few people have told him what a stupid idea it is but will he listen, no chance lets face it has he ever listened to what the rapidly dwindling paying public say. Mr Vaughan it's a stupid idea and if this is your idea for improving the club then you are obviously completely insane.

+Quote Post
lincoln exile
post Mar 8 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #16

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (Mancot Shrew @ Mar 8 2007, 03:41 PM) *
It is understandable that a club director should not react in the way the rest of us have, so let us not criticise BITBBH for this.

Still, it's a f**king disgrace and I will not support any such FRANCHISE in future.

Who was criticising Paul? He makes it obvious what he thinks.

+Quote Post
Bluesontop
post Mar 8 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #17

H Block..................
Group Icon

Member No.: 1942

QUOTE (Stan Gandy @ Mar 8 2007, 03:41 PM) *
I really cant understand why more headway has not been made in establishing a better working relationship with the council. Graham Proctor and John Price (and others) are both very senior in two of the three main parties and both are committed city fans. I am sure members of the conservative group are fans too. Chester suffers from being a mere district council (with less power, money and authority than the unitary council of Wirral) and it suffers through being perpetually hung with no party having an overall majority and therefore having the muscle to make bold decisions.

One symptom of this situation is that officers have more say than is healthy. I am no longer a Chester resident but I did think it absurd that the new leisure arrangements appear to have no reference whatsoever to the football club. This situation clearly needs to be gripped and it is not as simple as the council just being the enemy.

Can't we find a way of pulling together to harness supporters, the club and the elements within the council to make progress rather than let it divide and therefore weaken us all yet again?

P.S. If Morrisons are part of the problem how about a bit of guerilla campaigning to make their lives difficult on the issue?

It's almost certain that in two years time Chester City Council will cease to exist in it's current entity as a district council, due to central governments LGR (local government review). It will either be part of a unitary authority with Cheshire being split in to East and West Cheshire Councils, or just one bigger council covering the whole of Cheshire, whichever happens who can say how the changes will affect Chester City FC?

--------------------
Chester City FC The pride of the North West

Colin Potts is a tramp.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Mar 8 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #18

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (lincoln exile @ Mar 8 2007, 03:43 PM) *
QUOTE (Mancot Shrew @ Mar 8 2007, 03:41 PM) *

Who was criticising Paul? He makes it obvious what he thinks.

Ai but you know what some people are like on here though! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Greeny
post Mar 8 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #19

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2039

I'm glad that Bear has posted his views, it's good to know we have at least one sane voice on the board.

I agree completely with the comments about the Council, the local authority are fast becoming a source of anger for me personally and not just for CCFC related reasons. However, it has been proven in the past (safety committee) that the club doesn't always prevent all the facts. I think the time is nigh for the council to make a formal statement as to why this bleedin lease cannot be altered - what's the problem with having a market on a site miles away from any homes where ample parking exists?

I said at the time and still feel that it is the case that the Deva Village was not a viable proposal however I'm disappointed if the club haven't being given a considered response. I think the council have already made their decision about what and where they will be building. Can the club not investigate developing the land around the Deva with a third party a la the Lakeside complex in Doncaster? Surely somebody can see a gap in the local market for multi purpose sports and lesiure facilities in Chester? To be honest it could be a nice little earner.

In conclusion, SV has to learn that these brash declarations are of no benefit. He sees his a**e with something and goes public with a hair brained plan - it happens on a pretty regular basis. I like the bloke, we are in a better position than when he joined. But stop trying to do things on a major scale and at 100 mph - the club needs to build on it's roots and develop slowly and carefully. In time we can work together and get things right. We all want a successful Chester City so stop pulling in a different direction, nobody here wants to be linked with that s**t hole up the M56 and equally I imagine nobody there has any interest in being linked with an unsuccessful football club 20 miles away. Leave them to watching Everton & Liverpool on Sky and the likes of Barry Mac at the Halton Stadium. Get into the schools around here on a major scale and stop the next generation being warped by the Premiership big guns. Give me Rimmer over Rooney any day.

Keep believing.

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Mar 8 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #20

The Reaper
Group Icon

QUOTE (Greeny @ Mar 8 2007, 03:50 PM) *
I'm glad that Bear has posted his views, it's good to know we have at least one sane voice on the board.

I agree completely with the comments about the Council, the local authority are fast becoming a source of anger for me personally and not just for CCFC related reasons. However, it has been proven in the past (safety committee) that the club doesn't always prevent all the facts. I think the time is nigh for the council to make a formal statement as to why this bleedin lease cannot be altered - what's the problem with having a market on a site miles away from any homes where ample parking exists?

I said at the time and still feel that it is the case that the Deva Village was not a viable proposal however I'm disappointed if the club haven't being given a considered response. I think the council have already made their decision about what and where they will be building. Can the club not investigate developing the land around the Deva with a third party a la the Lakeside complex in Doncaster? Surely somebody can see a gap in the local market for multi purpose sports and lesiure facilities in Chester? To be honest it could be a nice little earner.

In conclusion, SV has to learn that these brash declarations are of no benefit. He sees his a**e with something and goes public with a hair brained plan - it happens on a pretty regular basis. I like the bloke, we are in a better position than when he joined. But stop trying to do things on a major scale and at 100 mph - the club needs to build on it's roots and develop slowly and carefully. In time we can work together and get things right. We all want a successful Chester City so stop pulling in a different direction, nobody here wants to be linked with that s**t hole up the M56 and equally I imagine nobody there has any interest in being linked with an unsuccessful football club 20 miles away. Leave them to watching Everton & Liverpool on Sky and the likes of Barry Mac at the Halton Stadium. Get into the schools around here on a major scale and stop the next generation being warped by the Premiership big guns. Give me Rimmer over Rooney any day.

Keep believing.

spot on

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bromborough Blue...
post Mar 8 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #21

From the Ashes!

Member No.: 288

Paul, you are absolutely right and you are assured of my support in trying to make SV see sense on this. He cannot be allowed to get away with it. The battles we have had in the past with previous owners have not made us battle weary but only more determined to fight for our beloved club - CHESTER CITY FC.

--------------------
MORE QUESTIONS THAN ANSWERS!

+Quote Post
phil the shrew
post Mar 8 2007, 03:55 PM
Post #22

1st team sub

Member No.: 2575

While I'm totally against the idea of renaming any club, I do have some sympathy with your Chairmans frustrations with the local council.

Shrewsbury have had to wait the best part of five years to get our Conservative led council to approve our new ground, despite our chairman being a long time resident and businessman in the town, who by his own admission was a strong Conservative. The new ground isn't even costing the council money but a lot of councillors are still agaianst the new ground and the club.

Unfortunatley too many councils just don't see the benefits a football club brings to their community

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Mar 8 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #23

The Reaper
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bromborough Blues @ Mar 8 2007, 03:53 PM) *
Paul, you are absolutely right and you are assured of my support in trying to make SV see sense on this. He cannot be allowed to get away with it. The battles we have had in the past with previous owners have not made us battle weary but only more determined to fight for our beloved club - CHESTER CITY FC.

We may be small in number but we are the ones supporting this club both emotioally and financially

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bromborough Blue...
post Mar 8 2007, 03:58 PM
Post #24

From the Ashes!

Member No.: 288

QUOTE (AndyHa @ Mar 8 2007, 03:56 PM) *
QUOTE (Bromborough Blues @ Mar 8 2007, 03:53 PM) *

We may be small in number but we are the ones supporting this club both emotioally and financially

Spot on, only by sticking together can we stop this happening.

This post has been edited by Bromborough Blues: Mar 8 2007, 03:58 PM

--------------------
MORE QUESTIONS THAN ANSWERS!

+Quote Post
Ali
post Mar 8 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #25

One step forward, two steps back!
Group Icon

Member No.: 47

What exactly would be the point of changing the name if you weren't going to change where the club plays??

Incidentally even though it would be easier for me to get to more games I'm firmly against any name change or ground move outside of Chester!!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2019 - 10:24 AM