Total Votes: 2
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Jul 15 2019, 08:48 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

Our second out of three home fixtures in the space of seven days is tomorrow where we entertain Carlisle United at home, in the hope that we can bounce back from Friday’s defeat. On Friday night we didn’t play too badly, but on the other hand we shown some signs of tiredness so hopefully we have brushed that off over the weekend.

Things won’t get any easier for us though as Carlisle are two leagues above us, so we will have to work extra hard. Once again this will be an opportunity for us to see our trialists in action as they look to follow in the footsteps of Danny Elliott, who signed for us just before the Dulwich Hamlet game.

Carlisle United will be making the long journey from Cumbria in preparation for another season in Sky Bet League Two. They finished just outside the play-offs last season in 11th place, so The Cumbrians will be looking to be in that play-off lottery come the end of the season. Back in January John Sheridan resigned as manager which prompted the appointment of experienced manager Steven Pressley, who has fared quite well since then. During the Summer he has made some decent signings for them, such as the addition of Byron Webster from Scunthorpe United, so they should bring a strong squad tomorrow.

We have a very busy schedule coming up. With 4 matches set to be played in the next 7 days, it’s important that we are ready for this. I predict us to field strong teams against Carlisle and Bolton Wanderers, then slightly weaker teams against Colne and 1874 Northwich to provide a bit of a balance. Otherwise, if we keep on putting out the same teams then we will be tired before the season even starts. Come On City!

Score: Chester FC 0-2 Carlisle United
Attendance: 590 (73 Carlisle United)

My predicted lineup:
T.Roberts
Thomson Grand Livesey Taylor
G.Roberts Stopforth Burton
Elliott Asante Dudley

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 15 2019, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/iRtVdTPJ_A8
Includes what happened last time out, key men to watch out for, plus more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 16 2019, 10:17 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

For a goalless draw that was a very good match. From our point of view we put in a really encouraging display as we more than matched Carlisle, and if it wasn’t for a few poor refereeing decisions we should have came out on top. It’s seemingly obvious that we re-charged our batteries over the weekend as we were much more lively and energetic this evening. Both sides just lacked a bit of nous as there were a few occasions where us in particular should have done better in front of goal. This is just pre-season though so hopefully we can work on that on the training pitch.

The first period was relatively even as Carlisle endured long spells on the ball, whilst whenever we were in possession we used it well. Our opponents were the first side to have a go at goal as a Stefan Scougall shot missed the target from range early on, which didn’t trouble Russ Griffiths. Halfway through the half Carlisle went agonisingly close, as Simon Grand had to clear the ball off the line to prevent the deadlock from being broken. Meanwhile, Danny Elliott went very close for us as a one-two between him and Craig Mahon found space to shoot, but unfortunately his shot went wide. Once again Elliott had a chance for us as he fired the ball into the hands of the Carlisle custodian. Not long before the break we received a numerical advantage as Hallam Hope received a red card for Carlisle following a shameful move. He punched Kevin Roberts in the face which says to me that there is something not right with him. You just should not do that whether it is a league match or a ‘friendly’’. Putting that drama aside, we went into the break on the back of a respectable first half showing.

In the second period we were much better than Carlisle as we moved the ball around with great effect, which caused the visitors to lose track of us at times. The addition of Brad Jackson gave us more freedom as he made some great runs down the right hand side. At times he was prone to giving the ball away, but apart from that he played a key role in our attacks. 10 minutes into the half we should have been given a stonewall penalty as Danny Elliott was hauled down. With the state today’s officiating is in though, neither the referee or linesman saw it which caused them to just wave it away. Throughout the half we played some fantastic flowing football, which was refreshing to witness as at times we were prone to hoofing it on Friday. Carlisle weren’t a bad outfit, but at times they just couldn’t keep up with us. Halfway through the half we had a mass of chances as firstly Danny Elliott missed a golden opportunity. He was clean through on goal but instead of dinking the ball over Louis Gray, he scuffed the ball into his hands. Then, Danny Livesey had two chances. Firstly, he headed the ball into Gray following a good move, before another header went over from a Matty Waters corner. We continued to maintain the possession, but we just lacked that creativity to find the killer pass. Just before the full time whistle Theo Roberts produced an excellent stop as he palmed a curling shot wide. In the end we had to settle for the draw, but there are a lot of positives to take.

My man of the match for this evening goes to Kevin Roberts who put in a really good showing on his debut. He passed the ball down the line really well, dealt with any Carlisle pressure without any problems, and took his time on the ball rather than rushing it. Danny Elliott had another good outing for us as once again he created a number of openings and was the focal point of our attacks. He is a quick player which gives us a boost, but the only downside tonight was his finishing. I’m sure he will work on that. Matty Waters was his usual self as going forward he was very pacy, and defended well by coping with any Carlisle pressure. Gary Roberts was very combative in the middle of the park tonight which was probably why he was substituted off at the break. He still passed the ball around really well though and had a good game. Craig Mahon, Simon Grand, and Jamie Morgan all had good matches tonight too.

I was expecting us to record our third home defeat tonight, but well done to our lads for proving me wrong. We competed really well and can take some positives ahead of a very busy weekend which sees us play two matches in less than 24 hours. Firstly, we host Bolton Wanderers on Friday where I expect us to field a strong side. Then, we head up North to Colne on Saturday which will be another test. In that one I still expect us to field a strong team, but perhaps with a couple of trialists too so that we can make assumptions. Looking forward to these two matches.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Jul 17 2019, 04:51 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/2nbwlD0j-vg

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2019 - 05:08 AM