No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Looking at the World today I think the late, very great, Mr Lennon had the right idea.

--------------------
Neil Young: You WERE the caretaker here.

Harry McNally: I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but YOU are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know Sir - I've always been here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Dec 2 2015, 10:47 PM
Post #2

The Reaper
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 79

QUOTE (Che Guevara @ Dec 2 2015, 10:26 PM) *
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

But I'm not the only one
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one

Looking at the World today I think the late, very great, Mr Lennon had the right idea.

bowdown.gif bowdown.gif bowdown.gif

--------------------
"Entertainments may be taxed; public houses may be taxed… and the yield devoted to the general revenue. But motorists are to be privileged for all time to have the tax on motors devoted to roads? This is an outrage upon… common sense." Winston Churchill

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Dec 3 2015, 11:03 AM
Post #3

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

The maxim "treat other people as you'd like to be treated yourself" says more to me than any religion ever could. If people need a religion as well to give meaning and direction to their life, fine, but it's perfectly OK to reject it altogether.

Lennon and that particular song might be seen as naive and idealistic, but it's only nasty and selfish bastards that make idealism unrealistic.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Dec 3 2015, 12:48 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (bluesince72 @ Dec 3 2015, 12:07 PM) *
QUOTE (XWWB @ Dec 3 2015, 11:03 AM) *
The maxim "treat other people as you'd like to be treated yourself" says more to me than any religion ever could. If people need a religion as well to give meaning and direction to their life, fine, but it's perfectly OK to reject it altogether.

Lennon and that particular song might be seen as naive and idealistic, but it's only nasty and selfish bastards that make idealism unrealistic.

The words in that song say it all....... the hope for a world free of supernatural religion, of nations/nationalism and therefore war, and an end to the materialistic consumer society, its a utopian vision sure, but who could argue that it would not be a better world than the mess we have to live with, where the lunatics have taken over the asylum?

It is idealistic but in no way naive, Lennon knew it was 99.9% certain that, sadly, his utopian imaginings would never become a reality.

John Lennon bowdown.gif

The maxim sounds good and is well intended, but always makes me smile as I'm reminded of George Bernard Shaw's version, 'Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.'

It's flawed I suppose. Maybe just "don't be a dick" is a better maxim.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Dec 3 2015, 01:03 PM
Post #5

I'm not Irish!

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (XWWB @ Dec 3 2015, 12:48 PM) *

The words in that song say it all....... the hope for a world free of supernatural religion, of nations/nationalism and therefore war, and an end to the materialistic consumer society, its a utopian vision sure, but who could argue that it would not be a better world than the mess we have to live with, where the lunatics have taken over the asylum?

It is idealistic but in no way naive, Lennon knew it was 99.9% certain that, sadly, his utopian imaginings would never become a reality.

John Lennon bowdown.gif

The maxim sounds good and is well intended, but always makes me smile as I'm reminded of George Bernard Shaw's version, 'Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.'

Wholeheartedly agree

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Dec 3 2015, 01:09 PM
Post #6

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

John Lennon bowdown.gif

Well I was born during WW2 and since then we have had British soldiers,sailors and airmen dying in Palestine,Korea,Kenya,Northen Ireland,The Falklands,The Balkans,Iraq, Afghanistan, and I'm sure that there are others I can't remember, and now we are involved with another. It is so depressing, do we bomb them before they bombs us? The chances are that with country being on "severe alert already, that unfortunately they most probably have been/ and are planning an atrocity as we speak.
I think it was a terrible choice for all MPs to take, but I think in the end we had little choice, I just hope that there is a "back up" plan unlike in Iraq.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Dec 3 2015, 01:27 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Dec 3 2015, 01:09 PM) *

John Lennon bowdown.gif

Well I was born during WW2 and since then we have had British soldiers,sailors and airmen dying in Palestine,Korea,Kenya,Northen Ireland,The Falklands,The Balkans,Iraq, Afghanistan, and I'm sure that there are others I can't remember, and now we are involved with another. It is so depressing, do we bomb them before they bombs us? The chances are that with country being on "severe alert already, that unfortunately they most probably have been/ and are planning an atrocity as we speak.
I think it was a terrible choice for all MPs to take, but I think in the end we had little choice, I just hope that there is a "back up" plan unlike in Iraq.

I'm struggling to be fiercely against it, but I just think we have an awful track record of this sort of thing. I also find Cameron's rhetoric very childish, just going on about how wicked and evil ISIS are and calling people "terrorist apologists" if they oppose war. Pro or anti-war, nobody in their right mind is actually sticking up for ISIS here.

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Dec 3 2015, 01:29 PM
Post #8

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Dec 3 2015, 01:09 PM) *

John Lennon bowdown.gif

You would hope the last resort would have been bombing whilst all other options were sought - such as imposing restrictions on those country's buying oil at discounted rates direct off them. Like those countries supplying them with weapons to commit these atrocities.

Going to war should be the absolute last resort, and when we do it has to be in a coalition with our Allies and Russia, targeting the same targets, having people on the ground providing help and support to the innocent civilians still there.

At the moment it just seems to be a mess, France, Germany, UK and co bombing what they suspect are IS targets, Turkey shooting down anything coming anywhere near their borders, and Russia bombing anything that looks remotely like a rebel.

It's far too messy for my liking.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
3mm
post Dec 3 2015, 06:18 PM
Post #9

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

How did each MP vote?

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Dec 3 2015, 08:14 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (3mm @ Dec 3 2015, 06:18 PM) *

Looks like all the Wirral ones voted in favour, except mine (Wirral West).

+Quote Post
Mustafa Sandal
post Dec 4 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #11

Squad player

Member No.: 5555

My name it is nothing, my age it means less
The country I come from is a part of the Free West
I was taught and brought up there its laws to abide
And that the land that I live in has God on its side

Oh the history books tell it, they tell it so well
The cavalries charged, the Indians fell
The cavalries charged, the Indians died
For the country was young with God on its side

Oh the first World War, it came and it went
The reason for fighting I never could get
But I learned to accept it, accept it with pride
For you don't count the dead when God's on your side

And then the second World War, it came to an end
We forgave the Germans and now we are friends
Though they murdered six million, in the ovens they fried

The Germans now, too, have God on their side

But now we have weapons of chemical dust
And if fire them we're forced to, why then fire them we must
One push of the button and a shot the worldwide
And you never ask questions when God's on your side

'tho many a long hour I've thought on this
That Jesus Christ was betrayed by a kiss
But I can't think for you, you will have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot had God on his side

And now as I leave you, I'm weary as hell
The confusion I'm feelin', there ain't no tongue can tell
The words fill my head and drop to the floor
That if God's on our side, he'll stop the next war.

+Quote Post
Che Guevara
post Dec 4 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #12

Castra Devana

Member No.: 1198

bowdown.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfHLYIms97A

--------------------
Neil Young: You WERE the caretaker here.

Harry McNally: I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but YOU are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know Sir - I've always been here.

+Quote Post
3mm
post Dec 8 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #13

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

John Lennon - shot 35 years ago today sad.gif

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 04:23 AM