Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clashing with TV
Loska's left...
post Jan 27 2015, 11:52 PM
Post #1

Pained Blue

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 840

Quite often our midweek games come up against a local team playing a cup or champions league game on live TV with a negative effect on our crowd.

Had the Lincoln game been scheduled for tomorrow we might have had another 300 -500 on the gate.

With regard to the scheduled midweek games, do we even have the option of switching to a Wednesday if the attractive euro game is on a Tuesday ?

This post has been edited by Loska's left foot: Jan 27 2015, 11:52 PM

--------------------
Emerging from the darkness
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Treeny
post Jan 27 2015, 11:59 PM
Post #2

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3547

QUOTE (Loska's left foot @ Jan 27 2015, 11:52 PM) *
Quite often our midweek games come up against a local team playing a cup or champions league game on live TV with a negative effect on our crowd.

Had the Lincoln game been scheduled for tomorrow we might have had another 300 -500 on the gate.

With regard to the scheduled midweek games, do we even have the option of switching to a Wednesday if the attractive euro game is on a Tuesday ?

As someone mentioned on the match thread gates were never this low in the Evo Stik regardless of who were on tele. I don't think we'd have got many more in were Liverpool not on TV.

Having a home game on Saturday had much more of an impact IMO, £36 to watch two conference games in 3 days is a lot of money for most people.

--------------------
Chester City Football Club

+Quote Post
MPW
post Jan 28 2015, 12:05 AM
Post #3

1st team captain

Member No.: 1056

Twice rearranged, end of January = skint, chilly weather, footy on the TV. Tonight was never going to be a decent gate.

Even my dad a season ticket holder didn't realise it had been rearranged for this Tuesday until it was mentioned over the tannoy on Saturday.

The Club certainly need to look at ways to boost the gates which have worryingly dropped, but we the fans can all do our bit too.

+Quote Post
ANDERS
post Jan 28 2015, 12:05 AM
Post #4

Swedish Midfield Dynamo

Member No.: 2647

QUOTE (Treeny @ Jan 27 2015, 11:59 PM) *

As someone mentioned on the match thread gates were never this low in the Evo Stik regardless of who were on tele. I don't think we'd have got many more in were Liverpool not on TV.

Having a home game on Saturday had much more of an impact IMO, £36 to watch two conference games in 3 days is a lot of money for most people.

It was our first for a few weeks though on Sat, but that might be a rather simplistic way of looking at things I suppose. I think people generally just spend their money on the here and now regardless and as you said it's the second of two right together, in midweek.

--------------------
"We were lucky then, it's a good job he's sh*te!"

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jan 28 2015, 12:31 AM
Post #5

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 203

Would people actually miss a game just because there's another match on the TV? I find that hard to believe myself.

I didn't go tonight, but that's just because I struggle to afford/justify paying to go to two home matches in four days.

+Quote Post
sealandkopite
post Jan 28 2015, 12:32 AM
Post #6

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 7864

QUOTE (ANDERS @ Jan 28 2015, 01:05 AM) *

It was our first for a few weeks though on Sat, but that might be a rather simplistic way of looking at things I suppose. I think people generally just spend their money on the here and now regardless and as you said it's the second of two right together, in midweek.

Admission price, nothing more

+Quote Post
ANDERS
post Jan 28 2015, 12:35 AM
Post #7

Swedish Midfield Dynamo

QUOTE (sealandkopite @ Jan 28 2015, 12:32 AM) *

Nah, it's not just that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ccmattfc
post Jan 28 2015, 12:40 AM
Post #8

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3636

Apparently a few people didn't even realise the game was on tonight.

+Quote Post
sealandkopite
post Jan 28 2015, 12:42 AM
Post #9

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (ANDERS @ Jan 28 2015, 01:35 AM) *

Nah, it's not just that.

What else has changed since we were getting bigger gates in the Evostik?
Realise it was done for a reason to be competitive but do the numbers add up? Fans we've lost Vs extra charges on the gate?

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jan 28 2015, 12:49 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (sealandkopite @ Jan 28 2015, 12:42 AM) *

Nah, it's not just that.

Realise it was done for a reason to be competitive but do the numbers add up? Fans we've lost Vs extra charges on the gate?

Winning less?

+Quote Post
sealandkopite
post Jan 28 2015, 12:51 AM
Post #11

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (XWWB @ Jan 28 2015, 01:49 AM) *

Nah, it's not just that.

Winning less?

Possibly, but more away fans as well!

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Jan 28 2015, 12:53 AM
Post #12

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 5404

Winning less is a polite way of saying we have been crap for most of the season

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jan 28 2015, 01:04 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Jan 28 2015, 12:53 AM) *
Winning less is a polite way of saying we have been crap for most of the season

Not really, given that we won enough games to win leagues in those seasons.

I don't think we're been crap. We've put in one of two crap performances, but also some very good ones. It stands to reason that more people are going to watch us when we're only losing a home game or two all season, although it is a little concerning to see home games drop so low when factors like larger away support are considered.

+Quote Post
ANDERS
post Jan 28 2015, 01:11 AM
Post #14

Swedish Midfield Dynamo

QUOTE (sealandkopite @ Jan 28 2015, 12:51 AM) *
QUOTE (XWWB @ Jan 28 2015, 01:49 AM) *

Nah, it's not just that.

Winning less?

Possibly, but more away fans as well!

Escaping midweek games for a second, in general the increase in away supporters is supplementing (in numbers) the free tickets we were dishing out most weekends to school kids in the Evo-Stik, people often seem to forget this, we'd often see a good hundred or more in the Clock end on freebies.

I'm not saying admission prices aren't a factor, they are, but they certainly aren't the only factor, we're not winning for fun and trouncing everybody anymore. I don't think this game was particularly well advertised either, it was hastily rearranged.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Barney Daniels B...
post Jan 28 2015, 01:11 AM
Post #15

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 5404

There you go again ,being very polite . I have missed a couple of home games but I have definitely seen more than2 crap performances

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jan 28 2015, 01:24 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (Barney Daniels Big Toe @ Jan 28 2015, 01:11 AM) *
There you go again ,being very polite . I have missed a couple of home games but I have definitely seen more than2 crap performances

Only you could grumble on like this straight after a 4-0 win!

+Quote Post
tom - chesterr
post Jan 28 2015, 02:36 AM
Post #17

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4398

Been said plenty times before more promotional. City center, pubs, schools ect nothing ever seems to be done and its a very important part of the club.

--------------------
The future is bright, the future is blue and white!

+Quote Post
bogsnorkel
post Jan 28 2015, 06:38 AM
Post #18

1st team regular

Member No.: 121

I think that is our last scheduled midweek match this season so should make for easier comparisons with Saturday and bank holiday fixtures . How many supporters did kiddy bring. It looked fewer than 200 to me

+Quote Post
Juan King
post Jan 28 2015, 12:27 PM
Post #19

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1240

QUOTE (XWWB @ Jan 28 2015, 12:31 AM) *
Would people actually miss a game just because there's another match on the TV? I find that hard to believe myself.

I didn't go tonight, but that's just because I struggle to afford/justify paying to go to two home matches in four days.

Not your die hard Chester fan no, but the floating/casual fans definitely. I know both Liverpool and United fans who also watch
Chester when they can, and they have missed games at the Deva because Liverpool or United have been on TV.

I also know blokes who normally bring their kids, but have turned up for midweekers without them, because Real Madrid are
on and the lad wants to watch Ronaldo - or Barcelona and Messi, so we really can't win in these situations

--------------------
If you see a bloke opening a Car door for a woman,
It's either a new car or a new woman.

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Jan 28 2015, 01:22 PM
Post #20

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1562

I have always thought the £18 was an increase too far - £2 up every season was barely paletable when we were winning leagues, not looking to survive.

The appetite to watch football in chester is there, we got £3,000 plus in the evostik ffs, the price structure this season just hasn't been right - Too Cheap for STHs, no cheap option on the terrace and a quite frankly bizaare treatment of our 16-21 fans.

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jan 28 2015, 02:35 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

QUOTE (iandyChesterCity @ Jan 28 2015, 01:22 PM) *
I have always thought the £18 was an increase too far - £2 up every season was barely paletable when we were winning leagues, not looking to survive.

Agree with that. Previous rises were the price of progress, but last summer's just seemed so unapologetic, announced within 24 hours of our reprieve being confirmed, and on the back of a miserable season.

+Quote Post
delamereal
post Jan 28 2015, 04:35 PM
Post #22

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 3639

Nah, it's not just that.

We used to play on Wednesdays the first 3 seasons after we reformed, not Tuesdays.

+Quote Post
BLUE CAMP
post Jan 28 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #23

ONLY IN THE DICTIONARY DOES SUCCESS COME BEFORE WORK

Member No.: 1849

QUOTE (delamereal @ Jan 28 2015, 04:35 PM) *

Nah, it's not just that.

We used to play on Wednesdays the first 3 seasons after we reformed, not Tuesdays.

Could be wrong, but I believe that we played home on a Wednesday 'cos Youngy wanted to watch opponents play on a Tuesday.

--------------------
60 YEARS OF LOYAL SUPPORT
ONCE A BLUE ALWAYS A BLUE.

+Quote Post
archie thomas
post Jan 28 2015, 04:56 PM
Post #24

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 6230

QUOTE (BLUE CAMP @ Jan 28 2015, 04:49 PM) *

Nah, it's not just that.

Could be wrong, but I believe that we played home on a Wednesday 'cos Youngy wanted to watch opponents play on a Tuesday.

correct BLUE CAMP guiness.gif

--------------------
dances with wolfs
we whistled and we sang till the sealand end rang and we won the heart of the sealand end.

champions 2010-2011 champions 2011-12 champions 2012-13

high on a hill stood a lonely goat . higher up the hill stood a bloody big wolf. .. 0-2 TO THE PUB TEAM

134 goals .. ALABI 17 GOALS SEASON 16/17

+Quote Post
delamereal
post Jan 28 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #25

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 3639

QUOTE (BLUE CAMP @ Jan 28 2015, 04:49 PM) *

Nah, it's not just that.

That's right, but we did have bigger attendances on Wednesday nights, might be worth trying it again next season?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 04:25 AM