Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chester v Wrexham, On a Saturday at 15:00!
MMc
post Jan 17 2017, 12:38 AM
Post #1

1st team sub

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 10870

Being one of the younger fans, I've never attended a derby game on a Saturday at 3 o'clock! Anyone know the last time this fixture was played at this time? (Either stadium) I am confident that it is before we reformed, but when I am unsure. It would be good if this became the norm, although I can't see when they do lift the bubble, that it will be played at the 'correct time'. Such a shame, but this is the position we find ourselves in! citysign.GIF
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MOC
post Jan 17 2017, 08:48 AM
Post #2

Deva Chat Predict-a-Score champion 2015-16

Member No.: 13

Think it was the third round FA Cup game 30 years ago this month at the Racecourse, the games tended to be at 12.00 on a Sunday (or at night in midweek) in the years after that until the Bubble came in.

This post has been edited by MOC: Jan 17 2017, 08:51 AM

+Quote Post
MPW
post Jan 17 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #3

1st team captain

Member No.: 1056

Chronicle mention that 1000 tickets have been sold on top of the 1100 season tickets, so not great at all. Need a big push this week!

+Quote Post
jack
post Jan 17 2017, 12:20 PM
Post #4

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3692

QUOTE (MPW @ Jan 17 2017, 12:12 PM) *
Chronicle mention that 1000 tickets have been sold on top of the 1100 season tickets, so not great at all. Need a big push this week!

The sad thing is, I think there are loads of people in this city who would be actively interested in this game. We've got a massive market of students to tap into but we don't seem to be overly active? Could it be as simple as to ask the University to put a tweet out advertising the game? The same with MBNA or even high schools?

I know we run on limited resources and rely a lot on the time of volunteers, but I do think we could help ourselves a bit more with promotion and targeting groups of people.

This post has been edited by jack: Jan 17 2017, 12:23 PM

+Quote Post
Jumpy
post Jan 17 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #5

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1907

QUOTE (MMc @ Jan 17 2017, 12:38 AM) *
Being one of the younger fans, I've never attended a derby game on a Saturday at 3 o'clock! Anyone know the last time this fixture was played at this time? (Either stadium) I am confident that it is before we reformed, but when I am unsure. It would be good if this became the norm, although I can't see when they do lift the bubble, that it will be played at the 'correct time'. Such a shame, but this is the position we find ourselves in! citysign.GIF

I've been watching Chester since 1993 and this is the first derby I've known to have a Saturday 3pm kick-off.

+Quote Post
Sir Frederick II
post Jan 17 2017, 03:48 PM
Post #6

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 12114

QUOTE (jack @ Jan 17 2017, 12:20 PM) *

The sad thing is, I think there are loads of people in this city who would be actively interested in this game. We've got a massive market of students to tap into but we don't seem to be overly active? Could it be as simple as to ask the University to put a tweet out advertising the game? The same with MBNA or even high schools?

I know we run on limited resources and rely a lot on the time of volunteers, but I do think we could help ourselves a bit more with promotion and targeting groups of people.

I understand your thought logic - however you have to realise Uni Students are usually not from our City and have absolutely no interest in supporting their temporary adopted City- money is tight for Students deep in debt on grants or bank of Mum and Dad and if they have a spare fifteen quid would probably use it for a night out -

+Quote Post
jack
post Jan 17 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #7

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3692

QUOTE (Sir Frederick II @ Jan 17 2017, 03:48 PM) *

I understand your thought logic - however you have to realise Uni Students are usually not from our City and have absolutely no interest in supporting their temporary adopted City- money is tight for Students deep in debt on grants or bank of Mum and Dad and if they have a spare fifteen quid would probably use it for a night out -

True but weekends are typically the quietest time of being a student. They tend to go out during the weeknights with all the offers and discounts and have a bit of time to fill on the weekend. I think there'd be a significant amount of interest if students knew they could get into the ground for £10.

+Quote Post
Sir Frederick II
post Jan 17 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #8

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 12114

QUOTE (jack @ Jan 17 2017, 04:00 PM) *

True but weekends are typically the quietest time of being a student. They tend to go out during the weeknights with all the offers and discounts and have a bit of time to fill on the weekend. I think there'd be a significant amount of interest if students knew they could get into the ground for £10.

You can also get five pints at Wetherspoons

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Jan 17 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #9

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (jack @ Jan 17 2017, 04:00 PM) *

One problem. The ratio of men v women at Chester uni (typical of most unis actually) is..70% women and 30% men. Young women are just not interested in football, especially when they have no links to Chester except through attending the Uni. Of the men, even if they do like football they support their home town team. TBH i think that if we gave free tickets to students of the uni on production of theit NUS card i doubt there would be much, if any increase in crowds. Wrexham used to chuck 'freebies' at Glyndwr uni and the uptake was very low.

+Quote Post
steveo1
post Jan 17 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #10

1st team captain

Member No.: 217

Usually the build up to a derby is all week prior and everyone is talking about, it's in fact the opposite and people are asking when is it? and just a general lethargic nature about the whole game. The bubble kills the game but as home supporters there is no real reason not to make the effort for the home game.

As Jack says above we don't help ourselves at times in regards getting the message out to different places of work, study, etc.

--------------------
Deva Chat F.C

World Cup Doubles Champion - 28/7/05

'A member of the DCFC Prankster Organisation'

+Quote Post
MPW
post Jan 17 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #11

1st team captain

Member No.: 1056

It's all about marketing and conveinience and I think online ticketing would help massively. Let's face it, it's a pain in the a**e for the occasional supporter to go down to the ground to buy tickets.

We'll probably end up with a gate of just 3000 on Saturday, which is just shameful. Couldn't we have struck a deal Dee106 to promote the game by giving away tickets?

+Quote Post
Jumpy
post Jan 18 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #12

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1907

To be fair I think that applies to the profile of a team and how well they are doing at the time.
For example, during my first or second year at uni in Northampton, that was the year the Northampton Saints Rugby Union side won the European Cup.
So everyone in the town at the time jumped aboard that bandwagon; students included.
Swings and roundabouts I know - vast difference between European sporting competition and non-league football, but I've also known of a student who went to Chester Uni who was from Gillingham. While Gillingham were his main team, he adopted Chester and enjoyed coming to watch us play.

My point being, if the side is playing well and the promotion is there, then people will come.
I'm not saying our crowds will swell, but even if it only attracts a handful more, as a fan owned club with little financial resource that's a handful more paying fans through the turnstiles that the club probably can't afford to miss out on. It can certainly only be for the betterment of the club and the support?

+Quote Post
Deva Chanter
post Jan 18 2017, 05:41 PM
Post #13

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4436

Anybody know if our wonderfully competent police force are going to be banning pubs in Chester from serving alcohol on Saturday like they have done in the past?

--------------------
The first casualty of war is the truth.

+Quote Post
toto
post Jan 18 2017, 11:42 PM
Post #14

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 314

My son and I are Londoners and Chester fans. His mate went to Chester uni and watched them a lot. I went to Chester uni to do a post grad cert in 1976 and watched every game pretty well....admittedly I was already a fan....

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Jan 19 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #15

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 1562

THE BEN DAVIES AND ASAMOAH EVENING DERBY WAS CLASS.

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Jan 19 2017, 03:43 PM
Post #16

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 1562

That said, the attendance wasn't actually that high for a 7.30pm KO. surprising.

see here

http://www.11v11.com/matches/chester-city-...il-2006-272529/

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
MOC
post Jan 19 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #17

Deva Chat Predict-a-Score champion 2015-16

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (iandyChesterCity @ Jan 19 2017, 05:43 PM) *
That said, the attendance wasn't actually that high for a 7.30pm KO. surprising.

see here

http://www.11v11.com/matches/chester-city-...il-2006-272529/

That one was originally scheduled for noon on a working day between Christmas and New Year, a very contentious issue at the time with only bad weather preventing it happening.

Old School Deva Chat outrage

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st February 2020 - 05:32 PM