> Stag Do to Chester
fetish
post Jan 11 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Debut

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 3000

A'rite everyone

First post on here and I'm looking for some help please.

I'm getting married....I know, I know, don't do it etc etc! crying.gif

We had a choice of next April and my stag do was gonna be 3 nights in Krakow.....or this April and I am getting one night somewhere closer. I of course opted for the 1 nighter! (50 daytime and 120 night-time guests for '07 actually won over 120 daytime and 50 night-time a la '08)

I opted for Chester as there have been a lot of good reports about your city and we hadn't been there before.

Over the stag do years we've been to Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Magalluf, London, Dublin, Prague, Bournemouth, Barcelona, Hamburg, Galway, Dusseldorf, so we like a wee trip and to make the most of it. Thankfully another 3 next year.

I was wanting to come down and get to a game on the Saturday but we are curtailed by work/shift patterns so the 31st March you are away to Hartlepool so unfortunately we can't see a game.

Anyway, probably 30 or so heading from Airdrie (late 20s early 30s most of us, not young lads looking for oohooh music).........where are the best pubs/clubs for a lot of guys who like a good time and a drink or 3. We already know of the platinum lounge for ladies of horizontal refreshment (not that horizontal 'mind)

The pubs to avoid would also help.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Graeme

PS Staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

PPS It is about a third each Airdrie/Rangers/Celtic fans
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heartbreak Kid
post Jan 11 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #2

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1435

To be honest mate the only decent bar in Chester is Revolution, the others are pretty poor!!!

Clubbing wise there are 2 x places to go - Brannigans & Rosie's. Neither are much kop!!!

Have fun!!

--------------------
WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT SON, AND GET YOUR FATHERS GUN, AND SHOOT THE Wr**h*m SCUM, SHOOT THE Wr**h*m SCUM!!!!

+Quote Post
Greeny
post Jan 11 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #3

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2039

QUOTE (Heartbreak Kid @ Jan 11 2007, 03:26 PM) *
To be honest mate the only decent bar in Chester is Revolution, the others are pretty poor!!!

Clubbing wise there are 2 x places to go - Brannigans & Rosie's. Neither are much kop!!!

Have fun!!

In all honesty there are worse nights out than Chester although it sometimes doesn't feel like it.

We're pretty lucky in terms of flange too compared to some places.

Bars/Pubs

Trendy

Revolution, Fiesta Havana, Slug & Lettuce, Got Wine, Amber Lounge, City Bar, Duttons, Harkers, Bar Lounge, Loaf

Middle Ground

Fifteen, Red Lion, Watergates, Off The Wall

Sleazy

Wetherspoons, Yates', Queens Head, Last Orders

Spit & Sawdust

Dublin Packet, The Boot, The Victoria

Clubs

Rosies - Where the beautiful people go, apparantley. Three floors, one is Reflex (80's music), middle floor is dance/chart and top floor is hip hop, rap and R n B. Plenty of nice young girls and lads with spiky hair and highlights.

Brannigans - Cheesy music, mix of 17 year old girls and 35 year old women looking for a bit of meat and lads in stripey jumpers.

Level Two - Euuurrrggghhh, steer clear.

+Quote Post
Oaks Blue
post Jan 11 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #4

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 622

Bar69 Will accomodate you chaps no problem, you can find them on Google i would have thought.

+Quote Post
Heartbreak Kid
post Jan 11 2007, 04:18 PM
Post #5

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (Greeny @ Jan 11 2007, 03:40 PM) *
QUOTE (Heartbreak Kid @ Jan 11 2007, 03:26 PM) *

Have fun!!

In all honesty there are worse nights out than Chester although it sometimes doesn't feel like it.

We're pretty lucky in terms of flange too compared to some places.

Bars/Pubs

Trendy

Revolution, Fiesta Havana, Slug & Lettuce, Got Wine, Amber Lounge, City Bar, Duttons, Harkers, Bar Lounge, Loaf

Middle Ground

Fifteen, Red Lion, Watergates, Off The Wall

Sleazy

Wetherspoons, Yates', Queens Head, Last Orders

Spit & Sawdust

Dublin Packet, The Boot, The Victoria

Clubs

Rosies - Where the beautiful people go, apparantley. Three floors, one is Reflex (80's music), middle floor is dance/chart and top floor is hip hop, rap and R n B. Plenty of nice young girls and lads with spiky hair and highlights.

Brannigans - Cheesy music, mix of 17 year old girls and 35 year old women looking for a bit of meat and lads in stripey jumpers.

Level Two - Euuurrrggghhh, steer clear.

I forgot about Loaf, I quite like in there to be fair. City Bar is quite decent aswell.

Regarding the woman, There is much more totty on a night out in Chester than say, Wr**h*m, but once you go to somewhere like Liverpool you realise how deprived we really are in Chester!!! Opens your eyes in a big way!!

--------------------
WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT SON, AND GET YOUR FATHERS GUN, AND SHOOT THE Wr**h*m SCUM, SHOOT THE Wr**h*m SCUM!!!!

+Quote Post
angel of the nor...
post Jan 11 2007, 05:04 PM
Post #6

DCs most adored poster :)

Member No.: 800

10 yrs ago the city was a crackin night out but now days its like awaiting room for the grave yard.
Thats unless you like wine bars and honky tonky boys that mess with there hair and look like girls proper fancy dans that need a good shoeing.
Hate Chester for a night out now adays rather go to Warrington where the town is still in touch with the people that live there.

--------------------
CFC ,,, BEST IN THE BUSINESS

"So you fancy a trip to Europe do you Dominic?

I heard u got a bit of money 4 me nev?
Come on hand it over to your Uncle Chop Chop, I'm just a bloody normal bloke. A normal bloke who likes a bit of torture

This is what its like to be wxm , this is what its like to be small , this is what its like when your team wins nothing at all . . . nothing at all . . . . . . . . . . . .

don't look at me, don't you f**king look at me

+Quote Post
Crazy Badger
post Jan 11 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #7

Crazier than a box of...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1035

DON'T DO IT!

A stag night in Chester that is for 2 simple reasons.

1. A group of 30 lads will struggle to get in almost anywhere in Chester on a Saturday night
2. The two "clubs" are shocking and both close at 02:00 (again, there is always a chance they won't let you all in)

You didn't include Leeds on your list of previous stag nights, so I'd have a serious rethink and look at this as one alternative.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fetish
post Jan 11 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #8

Debut

Member No.: 3000

A mixed response. unsure.gif

However with guiness.gif guiness.gif guiness.gif from 10am on the Saturday it surely can't be that bad.

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Jan 11 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 173

Chester is one of those places where you say "it'll do" because it's local enough. Having said that, you tend to have a decent night with your mates although if there are 30 of you in one group, you may have a problem getting in anywhere.

+Quote Post
Colin Potts
post Jan 11 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #10

Sept 7 1968 a Great day for Football
Group Icon

Member No.: 777

Have you thought about Stockport as an alternative venue ?

Lovely place.

--------------------

Legend - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Gannon

Sir Danny Bergara 1943 - 2007 R.I.P.

+Quote Post
angel of the nor...
post Jan 11 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #11

DCs most adored poster :)

Member No.: 800

i had 23 lads from the toon here last yr and they loved it becaues it was different to what the toon has to offer, still there is only so much bingo at the top rank i reckon they could take.

--------------------
CFC ,,, BEST IN THE BUSINESS

"So you fancy a trip to Europe do you Dominic?

I heard u got a bit of money 4 me nev?
Come on hand it over to your Uncle Chop Chop, I'm just a bloody normal bloke. A normal bloke who likes a bit of torture

This is what its like to be wxm , this is what its like to be small , this is what its like when your team wins nothing at all . . . nothing at all . . . . . . . . . . . .

don't look at me, don't you f**king look at me

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Jan 11 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #12

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1562

chester is decent bar-wise. Only club-wise it's abit weak.

Badger showing his age there, clubs closing at 2pm - got late licences about a year ago now.

If they don't let a big crowd in RB's - theres always destiny....

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
Crazy Badger
post Jan 11 2007, 08:56 PM
Post #13

Crazier than a box of...
Group Icon

To be fair, I haven't been out in Chester clubbing for several years, partly because I live in Leeds, but mainly because I can't be doing with Rossies or Brannigans. Revolution is about the only decent place music-wise and it's not really a club is it.

What time do the meat markets close now? 04:00?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Puma G.Vilas
post Jan 11 2007, 10:52 PM
Post #14

Squad player

Member No.: 2632

Loaf is probably you're best bet,it plays the best tunes in Chester and gets full of loose!Groups of lads are ok as long as you're not rollin round bladdered,when you're goin in!

+Quote Post
Scottydogdiamond...
post Jan 11 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #15

Debut

Member No.: 3001

Best man here! the big mans having second thought of location now due to mixed views on here. Where else good then? I see Stockport and Warrington mentioned (we have other stags arranged in Newcastle at start of March and Galway (again) in July so they are out

Manchester, Liverpool, St Albans, Fulham all done beffore (as has Oldahm which was agood night). Blackpool- eh no thanks

Bournemouth too far

Where do we go , running out of time. Some of us have heard Chester is a good night out, may be should give it a go!

at least 30 scots and two dubliners- we will be a bit tipsy to say the least! lol

do the women like kilts??lol

AWRA BEST!
mon the <>'s!!

+Quote Post
Puma G.Vilas
post Jan 11 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #16

Squad player

Forget Stockport its crap!Warringtons alright,ive always had a decent night out there!You just got to remember that Chester isnt a Liverpool or Newcastle which are top nights out,but you can have a good night!Cant help about the kilts and women,but guaranteed there will be plenty of loose about!

+Quote Post
Citizen Erased
post Jan 12 2007, 03:15 AM
Post #17

A useless article

Member No.: 1901

after living in Chester for 3 years as a student I can safely say its pants for a night out. but then that was as a student.

there are up to 30 of you.......I expect you will be going on a crawl and starting very early. I suggest a warm up in telfords by the canal (if its nice weather then its great sat outside) before taking a short hike up the hill into the city centre. Most of the bars you will want have been listed and these are all pretty close to each other down eastgate/northgate/watergate street mainly.

One cool thing about Chester is the rows, the top tiers around the main streets. there are lots of bars on there so make sure you don't miss them.

There are plenty of pleasent places to go in Chester but the problem comes when you want to drink late. not many places have a late licence. The two clubs, brannies and rosies, open late but as a few people have said, they ain't great.

Rosies has 3 floors (inc reflex) but can be a bit cramped and sweaty. Brannies is quite big and situated on one floor but the clientel ain't great but you never know, you may be of luck. If you get down on a weds, its student night when there are 100s of girls out in brannies. its bloody great!

My advice would be to visit a lot of places during the day, then finish in watergates or brannies/rosies. Loaf is ok but i find its a bit of a closet gay bar, no dance floor but plenty of space upstairs. Thats the one thing to remember in chester, its a bit claustraphobic, especailly in a large group.

btw, holiday inn is about 10 mins drive from city centre. NOT walking distance. just thought i'd put that in.

but have a good night, it'll be your last! cityscarf.gif guiness.gif

+Quote Post
Pseudoscally
post Jan 12 2007, 05:33 AM
Post #18

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 85

QUOTE (Citizen Erased @ Jan 12 2007, 03:15 AM) *
after living in Chester for 3 years as a student I can safely say its pants for a night out. but then that was as a student.

there are up to 30 of you.......I expect you will be going on a crawl and starting very early. I suggest a warm up in telfords by the canal (if its nice weather then its great sat outside) before taking a short hike up the hill into the city centre. Most of the bars you will want have been listed and these are all pretty close to each other down eastgate/northgate/watergate street mainly.

One cool thing about Chester is the rows, the top tiers around the main streets. there are lots of bars on there so make sure you don't miss them.

There are plenty of pleasent places to go in Chester but the problem comes when you want to drink late. not many places have a late licence. The two clubs, brannies and rosies, open late but as a few people have said, they ain't great.

Rosies has 3 floors (inc reflex) but can be a bit cramped and sweaty. Brannies is quite big and situated on one floor but the clientel ain't great but you never know, you may be of luck. If you get down on a weds, its student night when there are 100s of girls out in brannies. its bloody great!

My advice would be to visit a lot of places during the day, then finish in watergates or brannies/rosies. Loaf is ok but i find its a bit of a closet gay bar, no dance floor but plenty of space upstairs. Thats the one thing to remember in chester, its a bit claustraphobic, especailly in a large group.

btw, holiday inn is about 10 mins drive from city centre. NOT walking distance. just thought i'd put that in.

I think he said the Holiday Inn express which is by the racecourse and is only 5min walk to the bars.

+Quote Post
Puma G.Vilas
post Jan 12 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #19

Squad player

QUOTE (Citizen Erased @ Jan 12 2007, 03:15 AM) *

You never went in loaf obviously!The place is full of f***y at the weekend,and its always had a dancefloor!Its open til 3am,and i can tell you about a dozen places with a 2-3am licence!As has been said,the holiday inn is a short walk to town,are you sure you lived here,or just visited one wednesday?

+Quote Post
Crazy Badger
post Jan 12 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #20

Crazier than a box of...
Group Icon

I would have a think about Leeds, although I am slightly biased biggrin.gif

A great night out, hundreds of bar and an excellent choice of clubs, both cheesy and top dance (B2B, Gatecrasher, etc.)

Lots of cheap City centre hotels catering for stag weekends and a decent selection of the other type of dancing bar wub.gif

If I wasn't from Leeds would certainly consider it when I get married...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heartbreak Kid
post Jan 12 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #21

Reserve skipper

QUOTE (Crazy Badger @ Jan 12 2007, 10:04 AM) *
I would have a think about Leeds, although I am slightly biased biggrin.gif

A great night out, hundreds of bar and an excellent choice of clubs, both cheesy and top dance (B2B, Gatecrasher, etc.)

Lots of cheap City centre hotels catering for stag weekends and a decent selection of the other type of dancing bar wub.gif

If I wasn't from Leeds would certainly consider it when I get married...

I went to Leeds about 18 months ago for a stag doo and it was top class!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greeny
post Jan 12 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #22

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2039

Leeds is a superb alternative - the second best night out in my opinion behind Newcastle.

To be fair, I don't think Chester would be that bad for a one off night for a bunch of blokes in kilts. I can guarantee you will have a hand up there after two minutes in Brannigans.

You have to remember that we are out in Chester every bloody week, trawling the same bars and clubs and there isn't a lot of choice but for a one off night I think you will enjoy it. You're hotel is really central, there are a few paintballing/go kart places nearby, the lass count isn't too bad and you're not likely to encounter much trouble. I wouldn't worry about getting in places either, the doormen round here are all quims and unlikely to try and stop 30 boozing Scotsmen!

+Quote Post
Crazy Badger
post Jan 12 2007, 10:18 AM
Post #23

Crazier than a box of...
Group Icon

QUOTE (Greeny @ Jan 12 2007, 10:16 AM) *
Leeds is a superb alternative - the second best night out in my opinion behind Newcastle.

To be fair, I don't think Chester would be that bad for a one off night for a bunch of blokes in kilts. I can guarantee you will have a hand up there after two minutes in Brannigans.

You have to remember that we are out in Chester every bloody week, trawling the same bars and clubs and there isn't a lot of choice but for a one off night I think you will enjoy it. You're hotel is really central, there are a few paintballing/go kart places nearby, the lass count isn't too bad and you're not likely to encounter much trouble. I wouldn't worry about getting in places either, the doormen round here are all quims and unlikely to try and stop 30 boozing Scotsmen!

I'd expect several of the "quims" to use the line "sorry lads, no kilts tonight" wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
No-one Important
post Jan 12 2007, 10:33 AM
Post #24

1st team sub

Member No.: 1381

You know what? You'll do fine with Rosies. Get in early to avoid the queues.

Start with breakfast at The Fat Cat, just up the road from your hotel. Couple of swift halfs.

Then the bar crawl potential in town is good.

And Rosies is your typical cheesy night club.

You'll all be too pished to give a toot where you are anyway.

+Quote Post
Heartbreak Kid
post Jan 12 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #25

Reserve skipper

Get in Roise's before 10 for cheap ale aswell!!! Everyone's a winner!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2020 - 07:56 AM