Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tony Durkin
Che Guevara
post Oct 17 2014, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Castra Devana

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1198

Has done a lot over the years for this club, and ended up making some hard decisions of late.

We could not have carried on wasting money the way we did, he steadied the ship and made the necessary but unpopular changes. I think he deserves a huge amount of credit.

Tony Durkin, Blue through and through bowdown.gif

--------------------
Neil Young: You WERE the caretaker here.

Harry McNally: I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but YOU are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know Sir - I've always been here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Oct 17 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #2

1st team captain
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2156

QUOTE (Che Guevara @ Oct 17 2014, 05:48 PM) *
Has done a lot over the years for this club, and ended up making some hard decisions of late.

We could not have carried on wasting money the way we did, he steadied the ship and made the necessary but unpopular changes. I think he deserves a huge amount of credit.

Agreed. I suspect those who found every opportunity to criticise and make false accusations against Durkin may rue the day he decided that he had had enough.

+Quote Post
Buckley Blue
post Oct 17 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #3

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 7121

What's going to change though, and I don't mean that in a bad way, all he has done is stand down from being chairman. Won't he still be here to make sure we don't go financially tits up?

He'll still be here fortunately, just read the board statement on the CFU website

This post has been edited by Buckley Blue: Oct 17 2014, 05:21 PM

+Quote Post
life in blue
post Oct 17 2014, 05:42 PM
Post #4

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 6586

QUOTE (Che Guevara @ Oct 17 2014, 05:48 PM) *

^
bowdown.gif

+Quote Post
Blueblister
post Oct 17 2014, 06:10 PM
Post #5

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 3554

Thanks Tony, CFC through and through bowdown.gif

+Quote Post
Buckley is BLUE
post Oct 17 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #6

Youth team

Member No.: 9692

QUOTE (Blueblister @ Oct 17 2014, 07:10 PM) *
Thanks Tony, CFC through and through bowdown.gif

Top Man Tony bowdown.gif

+Quote Post
Glass of Red Har...
post Oct 17 2014, 06:41 PM
Post #7

Squad player

Member No.: 2100

Thanks for the many, many hours of hard work Tony. The club is much stronger financially since you took over the reins.

And I'm really pleased you are staying on the board to keep up the momentum. bowdown.gif

+Quote Post
mused
post Oct 17 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #8

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

Totally agree with Che. It's fair to say I wasn't impressed with certain parts of his reign but saying that we might not have had a club for much longer if the cash loss wasn't sorted when he came in as chairman.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
Spider Mellor Sc...
post Oct 17 2014, 07:19 PM
Post #9

1st team sub

Member No.: 11096

Selling Sarcevic for 100k made a massive difference to the finances. It remains to be seen on how we get on financially this season without that sort of cash injection.

+Quote Post
mused
post Oct 17 2014, 07:35 PM
Post #10

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

QUOTE (Spider Mellor Scores @ Oct 17 2014, 08:19 PM) *
Selling Sarcevic for 100k made a massive difference to the finances. It remains to be seen on how we get on financially this season without that sort of cash injection.

Hence price increases at the gate and a reduction in playing budget I guess. Obviously I'm going off hearsay but if that's to be believed, there were short comings left, right and centre, coupled with a manager who liked to sign players daily. Mind you, this one likes a new arrival or two on a regular basis too!

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
scottie83
post Oct 17 2014, 07:43 PM
Post #11

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 10169

QUOTE (mused @ Oct 17 2014, 08:35 PM) *

Hence price increases at the gate and a reduction in playing budget I guess. Obviously I'm going off hearsay but if that's to be believed, there were short comings left, right and centre, coupled with a manager who liked to sign players daily. Mind you, this one likes a new arrival or two on a regular basis too!

Thanks Tony for turning around a loss making business into a profit making business within 12 months. You have taken a lot of stick for doing so and ensuring we have a football club to watch still. All this as a volunteer. People may say you only did this by selling our only asset but without that asset would we have a club still?

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Oct 17 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #12

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

The draft minutes of your AGM on the CFU site states that last seasons playing budget was 'further enhanced' after Sarcevic's transfer, so probably safe to assume a certain amount of the money received was used to increase NY's budget last year.

+Quote Post
Spider Mellor Sc...
post Oct 17 2014, 08:03 PM
Post #13

1st team sub

Member No.: 11096

QUOTE (a view from outside @ Oct 17 2014, 08:51 PM) *

The draft minutes of your AGM on the CFU site states that last seasons playing budget was 'further enhanced' after Sarcevic's transfer, so probably safe to assume a certain amount of the money received was used to increase NY's budget last year.

The club invested money in a team that got relegated. Not good business in my view but what do I know.

+Quote Post
scottie83
post Oct 17 2014, 08:10 PM
Post #14

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 10169

QUOTE (Spider Mellor Scores @ Oct 17 2014, 09:03 PM) *

The club invested money in a team that got relegated. Not good business in my view but what do I know.

And if we hadn't we would have been relegated by January low crowds and another loss making year!!

+Quote Post
a view from outs...
post Oct 17 2014, 08:35 PM
Post #15

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 6226

QUOTE (Spider Mellor Scores @ Oct 17 2014, 09:03 PM) *

Clubs supply budgets, managers spend them - sometimes wisely sometimes not.

+Quote Post
NorwegianBlue
post Oct 17 2014, 10:06 PM
Post #16

Chester til I die

Member No.: 8140

A shame to see you stand down Tony. Thanks for all the good work a true Blue.
Wish you had got the club years ago smile.gif

--------------------
I was there : 27-11-90 The 409 club.
I was there : 31-08-13 The 888 club.
I was there : 22-09-14 The "94th minute" club.

+Quote Post
dfc
post Oct 17 2014, 11:52 PM
Post #17

Out of the ashes.......

Member No.: 461

Just wanted to add my thanks to Tony Durkin for the huge amount of work he's done for this club bowdown.gif

--------------------
And in the end, the wise often succumb to the beautiful.......

+Quote Post
dr jekyll
post Oct 18 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #18

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 5322

QUOTE (dfc @ Oct 18 2014, 12:52 AM) *
Just wanted to add my thanks to Tony Durkin for the huge amount of work he's done for this club bowdown.gif

Well done Tony big thanks for all your effort and hard work over the last few years!!I just hope you pass the Tin Hat on to Grenville rolleyes.gif

--------------------
George Whitebread I like What i Say !! and ill say what i bloody well like!!

Rule Britannia ! My country Long Before England Wales and Scotland were invented !!!!

"DEVA" The Capital of Britannia ! Capital of the universe!!

"Chester Fan Born and bred Strong in Mind Good in Bed"

Dr Jekyll is and always has been Mike Hunt!

Why I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those meddling Posters on here!!

+Quote Post
DAVE BLACON
post Oct 18 2014, 06:01 PM
Post #19

Debut

Member No.: 8862

Congratulations to Grenville on his appointment and thanks to TD for his time as Chairman. You were elected at a difficult time for the club and I do believe you have worked untold hours for our club.
I was fortunate to watch Grenville during his playing days and he was a true model professional and if you review his playing record for CCFC he also faced many challenges.
I know from first hand experience over the last four decades that working on numerous Committees and in more recent times supporting the initial work of the ISA ,The Trust and the CFU is a thankless task.
However I was fortunate to hear the breaking news on Dee last night and I must say I was very impressed with what I heard from Grenville, particularly his response to the potential problems he will face and his great reply "that he doesn't see them as problems but as challenges" which I fully endorse.
I hope we can now all get behind the new Chairman and the Board and let's move our great club even further forward.
Always remember it is so easy to criticise but would you be willing to volunteer to resolve the "Challenges" [

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Oct 19 2014, 05:18 PM
Post #20

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

A lot a good work has been done to get the club were it is not least our fantastic supporters who follow the club everywhere, Tony has helped to get the club in a good postition financially we made a profit albeit a small one but that is better than nil profit or minus, So I would like to express my thanks to Tony.

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd March 2019 - 02:55 PM