> CFC v Crewe Alex, Danby starts in goal
a view from outs...
post Jul 19 2014, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 6226

Dave Powell @_DavePowell

Chester v Crewe team first half: Danby; Roberts, Brown, Disney, Charnock; Rooney, James, Mahon, Menagh; Thomson; Iwelumo

Chester FC 2nd half team will be: Hall; Taylor, Brown, Kay, Roberts; McConville, Rooney, James, Miller; Thomson; Hobson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PUFF THE MAGIC D...
post Jul 19 2014, 04:21 PM
Post #2

Squad player

Member No.: 4479

QUOTE (a view from outside @ Jul 19 2014, 02:45 PM) *
Dave Powell @_DavePowell

Chester v Crewe team first half: Danby; Roberts, Brown, Disney, Charnock; Rooney, James, Mahon, Menagh; Thomson; Iwelumo

Chester FC 2nd half team will be: Hall; Taylor, Brown, Kay, Roberts; McConville, Rooney, James, Miller; Thomson; Hobson

Any news on the game?

+Quote Post
Almost Blue
post Jul 19 2014, 04:22 PM
Post #3

1st team captain

Member No.: 2954

Very entertaining first half against a neat and tidy Crewe, fell away a bit second half, but nice goal from Rooney, and 1-1 probably about right . . . Thompson pretty decent. 1,100 plus not a bad gate either. Not convinced where the goals will come from in the league, still a few weeks to go yet.

This post has been edited by Almost Blue: Jul 19 2014, 04:23 PM

--------------------
English Corner, Harry Mac Terrace - since 1992.

+Quote Post
Rhodri
post Jul 19 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #4

1st team regular

Member No.: 1019

We were the best team first half, look threatening with Mahon and Menagh on the wings. Iwuelmo didn't do a lot, and missed a chance similar to his famous miss for Scotland. Their goal seemed to come from an obvious offside.

2nd half was a bit more of a nervy affair. Rooney scored a pearler. Hobson didn't do much up front either. I liked the look of Mconville, was unlikely not to score, great last ditch tackle from the Crewe defender. I'd like to see him up front with Thomson behind him and Mahon and Menagh either side.

Trialist wise - Thomson did well 1st half, quiet 2nd. Rea did alright, would be a decent squad player. Dixon didn't look much. Hall looked solid in the net

The defence looked pretty solid, Brown has a demanding presence. The young lad Taylor did well in the second half, reminded me of a young Darren Moss back in the day

This post has been edited by Rhodri: Jul 19 2014, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post
MPW
post Jul 19 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #5

1st team captain

Member No.: 1056

QUOTE (Almost Blue @ Jul 19 2014, 05:22 PM) *
Very entertaining first half against a neat and tidy Crewe, fell away a bit second half, but nice goal from Rooney, and 1-1 probably about right . . . Thompson pretty decent. 1,100 plus not a bad gate either. Not convinced where the goals will come from in the league, still a few weeks to go yet.

Not a bad game overall, but plenty to work on. I'm also worried about where the goals are going to come from. Nice of Iwelumo to replicate his famous miss again for us! cityscarf.gif

+Quote Post
bluesince72
post Jul 19 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #6

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 7763

Entertaining match for a pre season game, and a draw was a fair result, both sides missed good chances, we hit the bar, the less said about Iwelumu's miss the better. We looked good going forward and kept possession well particularly in the 1st half, you certainly could not tell from that match that Crewe are two divisions above us. James, Brown, and 2nd half sub Taylor stood out for me. Thought Hobson did well 2nd half and lead the line far better than Iwelumu. Its early doors but a lot of positives from the game. On the evidence of that match Thomson would be a very good addition to the squad.

+Quote Post
ANDERS
post Jul 19 2014, 05:10 PM
Post #7

Swedish Midfield Dynamo

Member No.: 2647

Good run out, some encouraging signs but also a few things to work on.

I like the look of Thomson, he's strong and gets involved by throwing his body in front of defenders and causes problems, looks confident on the ball too, I hope we can sign him.

Agree however that it's difficult to see who's going to get the goals up front, Iwelumo didn't really do much in the first half, Hobson was an improvement but only really because he was more energetic and provided a nuisance value.

--------------------
"We were lucky then, it's a good job he's sh*te!"

+Quote Post
ulster blue boy
post Jul 19 2014, 05:35 PM
Post #8

The North Terrace Posties are legends.
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 50

Early days but I liked what I saw today.First half Kingsley James took my eye as did Mahon and Matty Brown at the back.George Thomson has a very good first touch (hope we manage to get him).With the half time changes we were always going to out of sorts.Danny Taylor and Craig Hobson played well,Another Rooney special gave us the draw we deserved.Although Mc Conville maybe should have done better with his chance.

--------------------
IT ALL STARTED AT THE BRANDYWELL,THANKS GRANDAD.

ONCE A RANGER,ALWAYS A RANGER.(ROYAL IRISH THAT IS).
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CFU.

26/02/2010. NEED I SAY ANYMORE. I WILL. 10/03/2010. R.I.P. CCFC.

6TH MAY 2010,THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN.

EVO-STICK NORTH CHAMPIONS 2010-2011

EVO-STICK PREMIER CHAMPIONS 2011-2012

BLUE SQUARE NORTH CHAMPIONS 2012-2013

+Quote Post
ulster blue boy
post Jul 19 2014, 05:39 PM
Post #9

The North Terrace Posties are legends.
Group Icon

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (ulster blue boy @ Jul 19 2014, 06:35 PM) *
Early days but I liked what I saw today.First half Kingsley James took my eye as did Mahon and Matty Brown at the back.George Thomson has a very good first touch (hope we manage to get him).With the half time changes we were always going to out of sorts.Danny Taylor and Craig Hobson played well,Another Rooney special gave us the draw we deserved.Although Mc Conville maybe should have done better with his chance.

Forgot to mention the turnout.Over 1100 which proves the £5 entrance fee was the right decision. bowdown.gif

--------------------
IT ALL STARTED AT THE BRANDYWELL,THANKS GRANDAD.

ONCE A RANGER,ALWAYS A RANGER.(ROYAL IRISH THAT IS).
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CFU.

26/02/2010. NEED I SAY ANYMORE. I WILL. 10/03/2010. R.I.P. CCFC.

6TH MAY 2010,THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN.

EVO-STICK NORTH CHAMPIONS 2010-2011

EVO-STICK PREMIER CHAMPIONS 2011-2012

BLUE SQUARE NORTH CHAMPIONS 2012-2013

+Quote Post
classic-cabana
post Jul 19 2014, 05:40 PM
Post #10

Bo-Lieve!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1879

Reckon Thompson (if we sign him) and James will be big players for us this season.

Cant say Iwelumo will be an improvement on Seddon from last season. Hobson and McConville look a better partnership. McConville reminds me of Titch, just hope he can finish.

Menagh still needs to bulk up, no more than an impact player.

So glad we kept Rooney, belter of a goal.

Solid performance, both sides were sluggish which is to be expected.

Optimistic after the game but I was this time last year after we played Crewe!

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Jul 19 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #11

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

Agree with most of the above. Thompson had a very good first half and was always a threat but was a bit anonymous in the second half. The big worry is up front, Hobson does nothing for me and Iwelumo was not much better but I thought McConville looked decent, as did Taylor and James. Early days yet, but if do wonder where our goals are going to come from

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Jul 19 2014, 05:52 PM
Post #12

1st team captain
Group Icon

QUOTE (ulster blue boy @ Jul 19 2014, 06:39 PM) *
QUOTE (ulster blue boy @ Jul 19 2014, 06:35 PM) *

Forgot to mention the turnout.Over 1100 which proves the £5 entrance fee was the right decision. bowdown.gif

Or it could be due to the fact that under 18s got in free

+Quote Post
1midfield genera...
post Jul 19 2014, 06:27 PM
Post #13

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8334

Again, a lot more energy and creativity, particularly through the midfield. I t looks like Burr is intent on playing a 4-5-1 formation, with Hobson or Iwelumo, as the targetman, with mahon, mcConville, menagh or Rooney, breaking in support. I personally./, think that Rooney would be the main goal threat, if played in the number 10 role behind the striker. Decent performances from Brown, Charnock, Rooney, James and stevens, although, he needs to stop the lapses of concentration. Also, we look like we have much more physical presence, than last season. Anyone know who the giant midfield player was, who came on second half? He looked a decent squad player, for this league.

+Quote Post
ANDERS
post Jul 19 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #14

Swedish Midfield Dynamo

Member No.: 2647

QUOTE (1midfield general @ Jul 19 2014, 07:27 PM) *
Again, a lot more energy and creativity, particularly through the midfield. I t looks like Burr is intent on playing a 4-5-1 formation, with Hobson or Iwelumo, as the targetman, with mahon, mcConville, menagh or Rooney, breaking in support. I personally./, think that Rooney would be the main goal threat, if played in the number 10 role behind the striker. Decent performances from Brown, Charnock, Rooney, James and stevens, although, he needs to stop the lapses of concentration. Also, we look like we have much more physical presence, than last season. Anyone know who the giant midfield player was, who came on second half? He looked a decent squad player, for this league.

Bohan Dixon

Played 29 games for Lincoln last season and the feedback from their fans on the football forum is not good at all.

This post has been edited by ANDERS: Jul 19 2014, 06:31 PM

--------------------
"We were lucky then, it's a good job he's sh*te!"

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Jul 19 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #15

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1207

QUOTE (ANDERS @ Jul 19 2014, 02:30 PM) *

Bohan Dixon

Played 29 games for Lincoln last season and the feedback from their fans on the football forum is not good at all.

Never is for people who leave! rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Canadian Exile: Jul 19 2014, 06:36 PM

--------------------
Posting from the Great White North

+Quote Post
archie thomas
post Jul 19 2014, 06:38 PM
Post #16

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 6230

QUOTE (Canadian Exile @ Jul 19 2014, 07:35 PM) *

Bohan Dixon

lost me there blue. unsure.gif guiness.gif

--------------------
dances with wolfs
we whistled and we sang till the sealand end rang and we won the heart of the sealand end.

champions 2010-2011 champions 2011-12 champions 2012-13

high on a hill stood a lonely goat . higher up the hill stood a bloody big wolf. .. 0-2 TO THE PUB TEAM

134 goals .. ALABI 17 GOALS SEASON 16/17

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Jul 19 2014, 06:39 PM
Post #17

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1207

QUOTE (archie thomas @ Jul 19 2014, 02:38 PM) *
QUOTE (Canadian Exile @ Jul 19 2014, 07:35 PM) *

Bohan Dixon

lost me there blue. unsure.gif guiness.gifp

Usually when a player leaves the fans don't have much good to say about them! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Posting from the Great White North

+Quote Post
toto
post Jul 19 2014, 06:52 PM
Post #18

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 314

Talk of Menaugh being too lightweight. I think maybe the World Cup hasn't educated one fan at least here. Some of the best performances were form 'slight' players. Valbuena was probably France's best player and he's about 5ft 3 I would think. We have a heavyweight in Hobson to satisfy those who still believe football teams need to have weight and beef to be good and that skill and a footballing brain is secondary.

+Quote Post
Rob
post Jul 19 2014, 06:59 PM
Post #19

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2063

James, Thomson, and Taylor looked good to me from the new players.

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Jul 19 2014, 07:34 PM
Post #20

1st team captain
Group Icon

Stevens ????

+Quote Post
since 71
post Jul 19 2014, 07:38 PM
Post #21

1st team sub

Member No.: 4772

OK I'm going against the grain here, with the exception of Kingsley James who stood out by a mile, we're no better than last year.There will be few goals,and lots of draws next season based on what I saw today. Early days yet tho, just some snap first impressions.

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Jul 19 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #22

1st team captain
Group Icon

QUOTE (since 71 @ Jul 19 2014, 08:38 PM) *
OK I'm going against the grain here, with the exception of Kingsley James who stood out by a mile, we're no better than last year.There will be few goals,and lots of draws next season based on what I saw today. Early days yet tho, just some snap first impressions.

I thought there were some promising signs but I know what you mean. Without at least one decent striker who can get us 15-20 goals, we are going to be chasing games, same as last season. Early days yet though.

+Quote Post
1midfield genera...
post Jul 19 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #23

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (since 71 @ Jul 19 2014, 08:38 PM) *

I take it you didn't see the first few games of last season, then, where we struggled to get out of our own half and had about 2 attacks per game? In terms of creativity, energy and commitment its miles better, particularly through midfield. There were also playing a team from a higher league, in Crewe, who are a good footballing side.

+Quote Post
1midfield genera...
post Jul 19 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #24

1st team stalwart

QUOTE (Billy W @ Jul 19 2014, 08:34 PM) *

Stevens ????

I meant Taylor

+Quote Post
Sumner boy
post Jul 19 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #25

Youth team

Member No.: 9652

We looked more of a unit today, defence looked solid, midfield looks capable of creating chances, just need someone with pace and able to finish and we will have a decent season.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2019 - 07:35 AM