Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Aug 30 2019, 05:36 PM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

We are on the road today as we will make the trip to County Durham to play Spennymoor Town away where we will look to end August unbeaten. I can see this match ending up a bit like the Kidderminster game if we turn up. Both Spennymoor Town and Kiddy have had disappointing starts which is why I am confident we can come home with a result tomorrow. After our recent run of results we will be full of confidence so hopefully we will end the opening month undefeated.

Back on Monday we thrashed Hereford FC 4-1 at home in what was our best display under Bern and Jonno. Even a Hereford supporter admitted it could have been 15-1, which just sums things up really. I don’t think that Hereford are a bad outfit as they have some good players there, but we just made them look absolutely awful.

Spennymoor Town have had a frustrating start to the new season as they currently languish in the relegation zone without a win. Saying that though, they have got 2 games in hand as their home campaign was delayed due to their new pitch having to settle down. A lot of work has taken place at Brewery Field during the Summer as a brand new pitch was installed to prevent matches from getting postponed. I have watched the highlights from their first home match against York City last weekend though, and it looks like the massive slope still exists which is something we must be aware of. Aside from that, new perimeter fencing has been installed, whilst the trees overlooking the Durham Road End have been chopped down. There will be two former blues up against us who are Ben McKenna and James Roberts. Winger McKenna spent the second half of last season here, and I personally would have retained him as he shown some promising signs for us. Striker Roberts had a loan spell from Oxford United back in 2015, and managed to find the net in our 2-1 win against FC Halifax Town.

Our North East hoodoo finally came to an end as we triumphed from Darlington with a 1-0 win back in March, so hopefully we will emulate that result tomorrow. Spennymoor will be desperate to turn things around and get their first 3 points on the board so it will be a tricky match. They have some great players in Glen Taylor, Ryan Hall, and Ben McKenna who will give us a tough game. Our support has been brilliant all season so hopefully we will take a healthy following to get behind our boys. This will be my second visit to Spennymoor so hopefully our display will be a lot better than our performance in January. Come On City!

Score: Spennymoor Town (Taylor) 1-2 Chester FC (Hughes, Jackson)

Attendance: 1,136 (213 Chester FC)

My predicted lineup:
Griffiths
K.Roberts Livesey Grand Taylor
Jackson Burton Murray
Dudley Asante Hughes

COYB!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 31 2019, 12:31 AM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/54LC_p9s6Hg
Includes the latest form for both sides, what happened last time out, plus much more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 31 2019, 06:05 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

We were robbed by an inept referee who made an atrocious decision which changed the entire complex of the game. Funnily enough he (Dean Hulme) comes from the North East area and has liked a few of Spennymoor’s posts on Twitter, which is all you need to know really. Up until that stage we were coping well, but our numerical disadvantage definitely had a huge impact in the second half. We sat back which invited pressure from Spennymoor as they had more of the ball. Also, what makes this afternoon even more frustrating is that both of the goals we conceded were down to two huge goalkeeping mistakes by Russ Griffiths. I am sure he will bounce back, but if it wasn’t for his errors then we could have got something.

Our first half showing was quite pleasing, although we did survive a scare halfway though. The wind played a big role on the entire match as the quality of football was quite poor, due to both sides having a tendency to hoof the ball up. For the first 5 minutes Spennymoor looked the more promising as they were dangerous on the right hand side. We defied that though as Akwasi Asante notched home to bag his 5th of the season to make it 1-0 to us. The man of the moment was one-on-one with Matt Gould, and managed to round the custodian to net an easy finish. Anthony Dudley was the next to bring Gould into action, but unfortunately his low shot forced a decent save. Danny Livesey, who later received his marching orders in farcical circumstances, kept us ahead as he cleared a Mark Anderson shot off the line. Simon Grand went close to doubling our advantage as he headed over from a Joel Taylor free kick, whilst a speculative Brad Jackson effort from about 40 yards went wide after he spotted Gould being off his line. Just before the interval the major talking point of the match took place. Danny Livesey was booked for a foul, but at the same time there was a mass of blood running from his head. Due to that he left the field to get bandaged up, then when everything was sorted the linesman waved him to go back on. Obviously Danny did just that, but for some reason the referee gave him a second booking when he didn’t do anything wrong. That decision is infuriating as it changed the rest of the game. Despite wrongly being down to 10 men, we still went into the break a goal up.

Admittedly our second half display was quite poor as that decision changed our shape. In the first half we were comfortable as we were clever at breaking up the play and stretching Spennymoor out, but in the second we were a lot more limited. The hosts had more of the ball, and we sat far too back which invited a lot of pressure. Andrew Johnson equalised for the hosts to make it 1-1 as a shot from range somehow went under Russ Griffiths’ legs, which was a huge error. Anthony Dudley wasn’t far off from giving us the lead again as he fired wide, whilst at the other end Johnson blazed an attempt over. Griffiths almost made another big error as he spilled a Glen Taylor effort, but thankfully he was on hand to make a good recovery. Taylor did find the net for Spennymoor a few moments later, but thankfully the linesman raised his flag as he was miles offside. Dudley went ever so close once again as he did really well to get past Spennymoor on the right, played a one-two with Asante, before he smashed a shot against the far post. Our opponents continued to get at us as a header by Taylor missed the target, whilst Anderson slotted wide. Things got a whole lot worse for us as Glen Taylor finally got his goal to make it 2-1 to Spennymoor in injury time. Russ Griffiths parried the initial attempt, but he was unable to recover which allowed Taylor to grab an easy finish. We were unable to muster an equaliser which meant that our unbeaten run came to a frustrating end.

On the whole our display wasn’t too bad, but it was far from our best either. My man of the match for this afternoon goes to Akwasi Asante who was on the scoresheet once again. He kept his cool to slot past Gould in a one-on-one situation, and aside from that he was being a nuisance towards Spennymoor’s defenders as he backed them away and held the ball up so well. Anthony Dudley put in a good shift as he got into some nice positions, dribbled well with the ball, and was unlucky to have struck the post. George Glendon wasn’t really involved enough for me to judge him so I will have to see how he does on Monday. I thought that Scott Burton put in a decent shift again as he made some nice passes and tackled well.

At least we won’t have long to dwell on this as we are back in action in 48 hours. We will be making the trip to face Curzon Ashton away where we must be targeting 3 points. Danny Livesey will have to miss this one so James Jones may have to partner Simon Grand in defence. Despite the ineptness of the referee and the soft goals we conceded, we must keep our heads held high as there are still plenty of things to be proud of.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Sep 1 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

My match vlog:
https://youtu.be/8FbKNB94X0M

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th November 2019 - 03:17 PM