Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mick Speight, Unsung hero?
NorwegianBlue
post Mar 19 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #1

Chester til I die

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 8140

The man who signed Chester's most prolific scorer, Stuart Rimmer is alive and well and living here in Norway.

I first seen him back in 2008,when he was on the coaching staff at Oslo's biggest club Valerenga.
I work in a town called Kongsberg,guess who is the first team coach ??????

They play in the 4th tier of Norwegian football, maybe a preseason friendly !!!!!!

http://www.kongsberg-if.no/spillerstall

--------------------
I was there : 27-11-90 The 409 club.
I was there : 31-08-13 The 888 club.
I was there : 22-09-14 The "94th minute" club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Mar 20 2012, 12:56 AM
Post #2

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

Micky started to build the team Harry took over and I think Mick was unlucky in a way as I felt he would have done well but you could not complain about the success Harry brought.

Regards to Mick! bowdown.gif

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post
NorwegianBlue
post Mar 20 2012, 07:15 AM
Post #3

Chester til I die

QUOTE (Gizmo's Dad @ Mar 20 2012, 01:56 AM) *
Micky started to build the team Harry took over and I think Mick was unlucky in a way as I felt he would have done well but you could not complain about the success Harry brought.

Yes. Mick Speight lost out and paved the way for the Wigan Mafia.
I'm going to try and catch up with him when the season starts. The company that I work for is their main sponsor.

I don't think anyone could complain at what Harry did for Chester. With respect to Mick,no other manager could have kept us up during the Macc years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZX500
post Mar 20 2012, 09:44 PM
Post #4

Squad player

Member No.: 8855

QUOTE (NorwegianBlue @ Mar 19 2012, 09:53 PM) *
The man who signed Chester's most prolific scorer, Stuart Rimmer is alive and well and living here in Norway.

I first seen him back in 2008,when he was on the coaching staff at Oslo's biggest club Valerenga.

They play in the 4th tier of Norwegian football, maybe a preseason friendly !!!!!!

The Best Manager we ever had, even for such a short period of time. He was ousted because of his out spoken veiws.

Mickey - Chester Legend - Do you remember Mickey Mr Moderator??

--------------------
CHESTER CITY FOOTBALL CLUB 1885 AND STILL HERE!

+Quote Post
Undercover Seal
post Mar 20 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #5

1st team regular

Member No.: 5897

QUOTE (ZX500 @ Mar 20 2012, 09:44 PM) *

The Best Manager we ever had, even for such a short period of time. He was ousted because of his out spoken veiws.

Mickey - Chester Legend - Do you remember Mickey Mr Moderator??

A decent tough player for us too, consolidated the side nicely as player manager I think prior to Harry taking over.

--------------------
A true blue and a welsh one since 75, message to moaners on here - dont talk to me about misery whilst your still s**tting yellow!

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Mar 20 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #6

Club Director
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (NorwegianBlue @ Mar 20 2012, 07:15 AM) *
QUOTE (Gizmo's Dad @ Mar 20 2012, 01:56 AM) *

Yes. Mick Speight lost out and paved the way for the Wigan Mafia.
I'm going to try and catch up with him when the season starts. The company that I work for is their main sponsor.

I don't think anyone could complain at what Harry did for Chester. With respect to Mick,no other manager could have kept us up during the Macc years.

You can pass on my regards,a great bloke who was never allowed to finish the job he started,he played 5-a-side with us one Sunday morning at Deeside Leisure Centre.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Blueblister
post Mar 20 2012, 10:20 PM
Post #7

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 3554

He brought in rimmer, greenough and a nother, i think we then won bout 5-1 at home to southend. He really turned it round that season. I was suprised he didn't get a chance to build on it. But what a season harry gave us!

+Quote Post
sealandkopite
post Mar 20 2012, 10:36 PM
Post #8

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 7864

It's often misquoted that Harry bought Rimmer in and still remains a mystery why Mick was disposed of.

I never played football with him but believe he once stroked my aunties cat when passing her house one day if that counts as a name drop

+Quote Post
Mighty Mickey Sp...
post Mar 20 2012, 11:50 PM
Post #9

Squad player

Member No.: 2330

I have often wondered what would have happened if Mickey Speight had stayed on .... took over the side from John McGrath when we appeared doomed and delivered Football league safety .... only to be replaced by Harry and Co the following July. I think I remember the 4 - 4 at Swindon final away game of the season ( I think the draw stopped them going up) .... didn't they invade the pitch and pay a visit to the few city fans in the corner ..... a long time ago and years role into each other but the last game of the Season was definitely the Bradford City Disaster Appeal cityscarf.gif !!

The days of Rimmer, Greenough, a young Lee Dixon, Peter Bulmer, Andy Holden and Bobby Coy with Mickey playing in midfield ............ solid tackler who had principles

Pass on my regards as my user name says I hold him in VERY high regard.

+Quote Post
Sandbach Cestria...
post Mar 21 2012, 08:00 AM
Post #10

1st team sub

Member No.: 5518

Brought in Rimmer/Greenough and Paul O Berg , these three transformed the team and the team started to battle .

Think his honesty lost him the job ie said we were poorly ran under Barnes so off he went .

+Quote Post
NorwegianBlue
post Mar 21 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #11

Chester til I die

QUOTE (Sandbach Cestrian @ Mar 21 2012, 09:00 AM) *
Brought in Rimmer/Greenough and Paul O Berg , these three transformed the team and the team started to battle .

Think his honesty lost him the job ie said we were poorly ran under Barnes so off he went .

As all Yorkshiremen, he said what he felt. I think he said something like it was a professional club run by amateurs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gizmo's Dad
post Mar 22 2012, 01:40 AM
Post #12

1st team legend

Member No.: 2738

QUOTE (NorwegianBlue @ Mar 21 2012, 09:42 AM) *
QUOTE (Sandbach Cestrian @ Mar 21 2012, 09:00 AM) *

As all Yorkshiremen, he said what he felt. I think he said something like it was a professional club run by amateurs.

Full agree, please give my best to Micky bowdown.gif when you see him next N.B. Thanks!

--------------------
Saint Milner's Day. 14/02/1995

'WE'VE GOT OUR CLUB BACK' AND WE ARE NOT LETTING IT GO!

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Mar 22 2012, 07:30 AM
Post #13

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (Mighty Mickey Speight @ Mar 20 2012, 11:50 PM) *
I have often wondered what would have happened if Mickey Speight had stayed on .... took over the side from John McGrath when we appeared doomed and delivered Football league safety .... only to be replaced by Harry and Co the following July. I think I remember the 4 - 4 at Swindon final away game of the season ( I think the draw stopped them going up) .... didn't they invade the pitch and pay a visit to the few city fans in the corner ..... a long time ago and years role into each other but the last game of the Season was definitely the Bradford City Disaster Appeal cityscarf.gif !!

The days of Rimmer, Greenough, a young Lee Dixon, Peter Bulmer, Andy Holden and Bobby Coy with Mickey playing in midfield ............ solid tackler who had principles

Yea remember that bradford disaster game against wrexham a certain MARK LAWRENSON played for us! ''chesters not a football city''

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Mar 22 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #14

Club Director
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (waggoner @ Mar 22 2012, 07:30 AM) *

Yea remember that bradford disaster game against wrexham a certain MARK LAWRENSON played for us! ''chesters not a football city''

I remember a 4-4 draw with Bury at home,i was doing the tannoy that night! blush.gif

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Jumpy
post Mar 22 2012, 01:28 PM
Post #15

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1907

I LOVE the idea of a pre-season friendly against a team from Norway - AWAY!! Would be brilliant for our fans to have a little "European adventure" - our away attendances are fantastic so would be interesting to see how many we could take abroad if something could be organised! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Norrøna
post Mar 23 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #16

Debut

Member No.: 8921

Hello

Mike Speight worked as an attacking coach in Vålerenga a couple of years ago. At the time the club had a coach for every position on the pitch.
He was a fans favorite, but the club had to let him go due to economic reasons.

It was a good laugh every time he spoke norwegian with an english accent, and mixed the two languages in one sentence.

--------------------
VÅLERENGA IF

+Quote Post
3mm
post Mar 23 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #17

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Norrøna @ Mar 23 2012, 08:29 AM) *
Hello

Mike Speight worked as an attacking coach in Vålerenga a couple of years ago. At the time the club had a coach for every position on the pitch.
He was a fans favorite, but the club had to let him go due to economic reasons.

It was a good laugh every time he spoke norwegian with an english accent, and mixed the two languages in one sentence.

Hi, welcome to Devachat, and what an excellent avatar you have!

Mick Speight did a tremendous job when he was at Chester. As others have pointed out, he transformed a struggling team by signing three forwards in one week, and almost overnight we became a high-scoring team. Included in those three forwards was a player destined to become our record goalscorer - Stuart Rimmer - who scored around 140 goals in 350 appearances for Chester.

Mick was replaced because he had criticised the club's owners, saying "There is no ambition within the club. It is run on an amateur level right through the place". I was very sorry when he was forced out, I think he would have done an excellent job as manager if the board had listened to him, rather than replacing him.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
bluesince72
post Mar 24 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #18

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 7763

Micky Speight - excellent manager, spoke his mind and Barnes knew it was the truth so he sacked him.

+Quote Post
Die Gruppenfuhre...
post Mar 24 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #19

Squad player

Member No.: 4331

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Mar 22 2012, 10:25 AM) *
QUOTE (waggoner @ Mar 22 2012, 07:30 AM) *

I remember a 4-4 draw with Bury at home,i was doing the tannoy that night! blush.gif

4-2 up going into the last few minutes ?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2019 - 08:50 PM