Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Sep 3 2021, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

On the back of a hectic August Bank Holiday we are back at the Deva tomorrow as we take on Alfreton Town at home where we look to finally notch up our first three points of the campaign. We’ve had an extremely disappointing start to the season, but hopefully a few key bodies will return tomorrow afternoon in what is simply a must-win game. If we fail to win tomorrow then I can see things becoming very toxic, because in all due respect to Alfreton we have to be winning this one. Our opponents are tipped to struggle near the relegation zone, but Billy Heath sides have always been tough to play against over the years, so as long as we just get the win then that’s all that will matter to me. It might not be an attractive encounter to endure tomorrow, but I think everybody else can agree with me that getting that monkey off our back is more important than how we actually play.

Our last match was on Monday where we lost 3-1 away against Kidderminster Harriers in what was another depressing watch. The first half was abysmal from us because our out-of-position team couldn’t cope with the home side, while we were alarmingly way off the pace too. To begin with Ashley Hemmings headed against the underside of the crossbar for Kidderminster Harriers to present us with a scare. That didn’t count for much for us though, as seven minutes later Omari Sterling-James made it 1-0 to Kidderminster Harriers by firing in at the near post. With half time on the horizon Ashley Hemmings hit the woodwork for the second time for Kidderminster Harriers, as he smashed the post this time. That was before Sam Austin had the ball in the net for Kidderminster Harriers, but fortunately his effort was disallowed for offside. We went into the break only a goal down, although it could’ve been a whole lot more. Meanwhile, our showing in the second period was more of the same as we maintained our sluggish standards. After the hour mark Mark Carrington made it 2-0 to Kidderminster Harriers with an unstoppable strike from thirty yards out. Things got from bad to worse for us as Sam Austin made it 3-0 to Kidderminster Harriers with his attempt rebounding back off the post and into the bottom corner. Deep into injury time Simon Grand was fouled inside the penalty area to present us with a penalty. John Johnston managed to tuck away the resulting penalty for us to make it 3-1, but unlike Gateshead it was too little too late. A gutless performance in the end with us getting what we deserved.

Alfreton Town will be making the journey from Derbyshire looking to stave off relegation this season. Like ourselves, The Reds have made a poor start to the campaign having lost three of their opening four fixtures, however unlike ourselves they have actually managed to win a game, hence they find themselves above us. In spite of that though, I do think it will be a season of struggle for Ofton because even though last campaign was brought to an early end due to Covid, the away side had only won 2 out of their 15 games so they may well be up against it again. Alfreton did make some very impressive signings during the Summer, however, with the experienced Matt Rhead, former Wrexham man Rob Evans, and ex-FC Halifax Town and King’s Lynn Town forward Dayle Southwell arriving at the Impact Arena, thus if they add further players to their side with similar calibre then they may well go on to defy the odds.

At the moment September is looking like a very spaced out month for us with no midweek games to date, so let’s hope that will do us the world of good as it’s vital we have a fully fit squad pronto. I dread to find out what our attendance will be tomorrow afternoon though because even though schools are now back and the August Bank Holiday is over, our results last weekend were nowhere near good enough so I hate to say it, but I expect the attendance to be in a similar region to last Saturday. As I alluded to above, I can’t see it being a pretty watch tomorrow but at this stage, the three points is more important. Come On City!

𝙎𝙘𝙤𝙧𝙚 - Chester FC (Askew, Oyibo) 2-0 Alfreton Town

𝘼𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚 - 1,489 (52 Alfreton Town)

𝙈𝙮 𝙥𝙧𝙚𝙙𝙞𝙘𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙪𝙥:
Gray
Morgan Livesey Williams Askew
Hardy Lacey Clark Johnston
Dudley Waring

𝙏𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙩𝙨 - tickets for this clash are available online to both sets of supporters, and you can purchase yours by clicking on the link below up until kick-off. However, you can still buy a ticket on the day of the game tomorrow from our ticket office, but with cashless turnstiles in operation payment by card is strongly encouraged. Also, you are able to pay at the turnstile by card, with chip and pin, contactless, Apple Pay, and Google Pay options all in place in The Gary Talbot Stand and the Harry McNally Terrace initially 👇:
chesterfc.ktckts.com/event/ctr2122h03/chester-vs-alfreton-town

𝙋𝙧𝙤𝙜𝙧𝙖𝙢𝙢𝙚𝙨 - The Cestrian matchday programme is available to purchase for just £2.50 from our club shop and our sellers throughout the ground. Also, you can order a digital version for just £2.00 or a printed copy for £2.50 online by clicking on the link below 👇:
www.matchdaycreative.co.uk/collections/chester-fc-programmes

COYS!

This post has been edited by Rio Doherty: Sep 3 2021, 06:26 PM

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Sep 5 2021, 03:22 AM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

I’ve been waiting a good 18 months for scenes like that, but it’s fair to say the long wait was well worth it as that has to be up there with one of the best endings to a match at the Deva in a while. It was certainly an ‘I was there’ moment, and as much as I love our fanbase I do hope those who couldn’t be bothered to go are now heavily regretting it, because that was our lowest league attendance for a Saturday home match since reformation. In all honesty even though the last twenty minutes were packed with drama, I thought the actual game itself was very average up until that point. Our performance wasn’t that great either, however we definitely deserved to win the game over our opponents given we were the only side who wanted to play proper football, while our lads displayed brilliant determination and fighting spirit to ensure we scored our third injury time goal of the week. Alfreton Town did well to peg us back twice while their wise game management skills were credible, but I don’t think they were that great a side as their style of play wasn’t easy to endure at times. Going forward they were decent, but in defence they were really ropey, especially in the final twenty minutes where they couldn’t handle our pressure.

The first half was a relatively even affair, and as I stated in my pre-match write-up it wasn’t a pretty watch with the brand of football on offer being very average. Going forward we portrayed some chunks of encouragement, but our end product was lacking as we ended up in a few situations where we failed to take shots at goal after doing all of the hard work. It was a real battle for us at times given the very physical and direct Alfreton Town side made things tough for us in the middle of the park. They provided us with a few scares too with the likes of Matt Rhead proving to be a handful in the penalty area, and even though we had one or two shaky moments at the back we managed to keep a clean sheet in the opening half which was the main thing. Our first chance of the affair came when Matty Williams blazed well over from a Declan Weeks corner, before a John Johnston header had to be cleared off the line from an Alfreton man. At the other end Alfreton Town went really close to taking the lead, as a deflected cross-cum-shot from Josh Clackstone skimmed the crossbar. Ten minutes later though we brought a new lease of life to an otherwise mediocre match, as James Hardy made it 1-0 to us by poking into the far corner. With half time on the horizon an Anthony Dudley effort was blocked by a red shirt as we searched for a second goal. We probably just about deserved to be in front at the interval as it was an improved showing from Kidderminster Harriers on Monday.

Meanwhile, the second period somehow managed to evolve into a really entertaining finale due to it consisting of four goals, a red card, and an injury time winner. We performed a lot better too given our display had more life in it, because our lively atmosphere around the ground resulted in our lads becoming more determined and exciting to watch. Alfreton Town frustrated us given they did very well to peg us back twice, but just as I was coming to terms with us recording our fifth poor result of the season, we somehow found a way to pick up our first win to spark jubilation. James Hardy was called into action to perform some defensive duties in the early stages by clearing an Adam Lund header off the line, while Lund was involved again with the final twenty minutes looming as a cross from him was tipped over the bar by Louis Gray. From the resulting corner Dwayne Wiley scuffed a shot just wide to present us with a minor scare. We were dealt with a setback a couple of moments later as Danny Livesey was sent off for a reckless challenge, but as bad as it was you can’t fault him for at least getting stuck in 🤣! Into the final ten minutes the pantomime villain Matt Rhead turned a cross in for Alfreton Town to make it 1-1. We responded instantly though, because only one minute later Declan Weeks made it 2-1 to us with a rasper from long range. With two minutes of normal time to go Matt Rhead pegged us back once again for Alfreton Town to make it 2-2, as a brilliant header at the back stick looped over Louis Gray. Could we take the lead for the third time of the match with ten men and little time remaining? You bet, because Dan Cowan headed home an immense Declan Weeks cross for us to make it 3-2 deep into injury time, thus sparking mass euphoria amongst our fortunate loyal supporters who were lucky enough to witness scenes like that. A frantic final twenty minutes, but even though our performance wasn’t near our usual levels we still deserved to finally pick up our first three points.

A few big individual improvements out there compared to Monday, but my man of the match has to go to Josh Askew who was refreshing to watch. Defensively he did very well with the fact he used the full width of the pitch to prevent crosses being the main factor, but also going forward Josh was exciting to watch too. His first touch was sublime, while his energetic drives down the left flank to try and create chances were superb too. Declan Weeks put in a magnificent performance too considering he netted a stunner to make it 2-1 to us, while he was also the man who assisted Dan Cowan’s winner, so Dec deserves a huge amount of credit. It was always going to be tough for him to battle with Alfreton Town’s physical lads in the middle, but I thought Weeks handled them really well because on the ball he was much more consistent compared to recent matches. Dan Cowan put in a decent shift out on the right too, while he topped that off with an excellent header to win us the game, which could may well be a turning point. I also thought Luke Clark had a great game too because he did his job well in the middle by breaking up the play, tracking Alfreton, while his passing accuracy was very good so he too deserves praise for his performance.

Feels brilliant to have that buzz back again after not only an injury time winner, but also due to the fact we won our first match of the season which lifts the weight off our shoulders. My right knee suffered a couple of cuts due to the limbs at the end, but I couldn’t change this club for the world and if if means me hurting myself to witness late winners every week, then I don’t mind one bit! Embarrassing attendance again though given it tops last week’s crowd as being our lowest league attendance on a Saturday since the Vaughan days, but let’s hope our win will put a couple of hundred back on the gate for Blyth Spartans, while it may inspire more to travel up to Chorley next week. However, it shouldn’t take us winning matches to bounce back from gates of 1,300 though, because their must be a deeper problem when it reaches that low. Enough of that for now though, as it’s great to experience that winning feeling again while with the likes of George Glendon and Declan Weeks being fit again our squad is looking much more stronger. Our next match is on Saturday as we play Chorley away where we look to follow this success up with our first away win of the campaign. It’s typical us to be playing them just after they annihilate Gloucester City 9-0, but looking at Chorley’s squad compared to when they got promoted a few years ago we should have nothing to fear of. It will get to a stage where we will have to fight for wins rather than be happy to settle for draws, therefore if we can emerge from Victory Park as victorious then that will put out a statement. I booked my seat on the Hipkiss Express for it yesterday, so I really can’t wait for my second visit to Chorley now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Sep 5 2021, 10:17 AM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

My match preview:
https://youtu.be/H2LCaaZQtxk
Packed with everything about yesterday’s encounter, including...
🎥 All of the goals from our previous meeting with Alfreton Town.
👀 A lowdown on Alfreton.
🔥 Key player for The Reds.
📽 Plus loads more!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th November 2021 - 02:14 AM