Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Aug 29 2021, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

Our wait for our first win of the season goes on as we make the trip to Worcestershire to play Kidderminster Harriers away tomorrow in what will be our second match in only three days. Given our opponents are still unbeaten this will be our toughest clash out of our August Bank Holiday double-header, although our recent record at Aggborough makes for sound reading so their is some hope for us. Although we’ve made a really poor start, if we do somehow manage to record a win tomorrow four points from the Bank Holiday would make for a good return, however if we do fail to win tomorrow then it would simply not be good enough. We did show some glimpses of improvement against Gateshead yesterday, but we have to be converting those brief spells into 90 minute performances otherwise we won’t get anywhere.

Our last match was yesterday where we drew 1-1 at home against Gateshead in what was a rather strange encounter. The first half was very dire from us because Gateshead outplayed us, while we had absolutely nothing up top with us barely registering a shot. Even though The Heed dominated proceedings, we were excellent in defence which was why we headed into the break still on level terms. Meanwhile, our showing in the second period was still frustrating, but to be fair we implemented a lot of determination to equalise right at the death. On the approach to the hour mark Robbie Tinkler made it 0-1 to Gateshead, as he latched onto a loose ball following a great save by Louis Gray in the build-up. With fifteen minutes of normal time left George Waring was hauled down which resulted in us being awarded with a penalty. Unfortunately, Darren Stephenson was unable to capitalise for us as his horrific penalty was straight at Jacob Chapman. To make up for that though, Luke Williams was sent off for Gateshead with just four minutes of the 90 to go for a poor tackle on Luke Clark. We made our extra man count, because in the last minute of injury time a Declan Weeks cross was turned in by Gateshead player Louis Storey, with his own goal making it 1-1 to ensure we avoided a second straight defeat. It was daylight robbery, but we need every bit of luck this campaign so let’s hope that will be a turning point for us.

Kidderminster Harriers have made an excellent start to the new campaign with the hosts sat high up in third place undefeated. Harriers caused a major surprise on the opening day by beating York City 1-2 away at their brand new home before battering Blyth Spartans 3-0 in their first home match, however Kiddy’s winning start was brought to an end with a 1-1 draw at Southport yesterday, so let’s hope we will be the first side to win against them. The Worcestershire outfit also made a brilliant start last campaign, before an inconsistent second half of a very short season saw them drop from second to fifth. Obviously last season was brought to an early end due to Covid, but in spite of that The Carpetmen were still in a comfortable play-off position, therefore I expect them to be challenging at the top end once again this campaign as the home side look to make a return to the National League. We will be up against one former Seal at Aggborough tomorrow afternoon in Nyal Bell. Striker Nyal initially joined us on loan from Rochdale in January 2016 where he failed to make a mark here, hence he was recalled by Rochdale in March 2016. Meanwhile, in May 2017 Nyal re-joined us for another loan spell, this time from Gateshead, where other than a stunner against Port Vale in pre-season he was very disappointing before he returned to Gateshead in January 2018. Finally, in June of this year Nyal signed for Kidderminster Harriers as a free agent following his release from Stockport County, and he has been at Kiddy ever since.

I hate to say this, but I am going to predict a Kidderminster Harriers win tomorrow because even though I rarely predict us to lose, I just cannot see us having enough quality to turn our fortunes around. The return of Anthony Dudley yesterday was a big positive, but on the flip side we will probably be without George Glendon and Kevin Roberts again so it really is a case of one step forward and two steps back. I reckon it will take us a couple of weeks for us to return to our usual selves, therefore we probably will have to suffer more pain until things become much better. We usually take good numbers to Kiddy of 400+, but I think our away following may suffer as a result of a bad opening week. It’s not a great time to be a Seal at the moment but that said, I will still be travelling down to Aggborough tomorrow for my fourth visit in the hope that we can record our third consecutive win there. Come On You Seals!

𝙎𝙘𝙤𝙧𝙚 - Kidderminster Harriers (Morgan-Smith, Hemmings) 2-1 Chester FC (Dudley)

𝘼𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚 - 1,780 (372 Chester FC)

𝙈𝙮 𝙥𝙧𝙚𝙙𝙞𝙘𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙪𝙥:
Gray
Morgan Livesey Williams Askew
Oyibo Weeks Clark Hardy
Dudley Waring

𝙏𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙩𝙨 - tickets for this clash are available online to both sets of supporters, and you can purchase yours by clicking on the link below. However, you can still buy a ticket on the day of the game tomorrow from Kidderminster Harriers’ ticket office, but with cashless turnstiles in operation payment online is strongly encouraged 👇:
harriers.ktckts.com/event/kid2122h02/kidderminster-harriers-vs-chester

Also, tickets are available to purchase from the ticket office too which are as follows, but please bear in mind tickets purchased from the office will be £2.00 more than online tickets 👇:
Seating:
Adults - £20.00
Over-65’s - £16.00
Students and Young Adults (16-21-year-olds) - £14.00
Under-16’s - £6.00

Standing:
Adults - £18.00
Over-65’s - £14.00
Students and Young Adults (16-21-year-olds) - £12.00
Under-16’s - £5.00

𝘼𝙬𝙖𝙮 𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙫𝙚𝙡 - away travel courtesy of the Hipkiss Express is available, and you can travel to Kidderminster Harriers tomorrow for just £15.00. Coaches depart the Deva Stadium at 11:00 with payment by cash only.

𝙇𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙮 - for those who can’t attend tomorrow’s game, you can listen to the match on Seals Live for free from 14:55 by clicking on the link below 👇:
mixlr.com/chesterfc/

COYS!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 31 2021, 11:54 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

Another depressing and deflating watch on Monday. A lacklustre performance against a Kidderminster Harriers side who outplayed, outfought, and outclassed us, but as much as they were fantastic we, on the other hand, were awful to watch. I know it was hard for our players given about half of them were playing out of position, but our lack of width in defence was alarming because I can’t recall us stopping a single cross or beating Kiddy to a ball at all. It was way too easy for them given the amount of space we gave them, while it was crystal clear that we are still struggling with our fitness as our opponents were two yards quicker than us. Although our defence was so shallow, we had absolutely nothing up front again because the likes of Lloyd Marsh-Hughes had no service at all from a midfield consisting of just one recognisable midfielder. Kidderminster Harriers were an excellent side given they dominated the whole match, so sometimes we just have to admit we were beaten by the more superior side. We made Curzon Ashton look good last Tuesday, but on Monday you could tell that Kiddy are going to be up there again because they oozed in quality, while the football they played was top notch. Enough of lauding them though because the only team I’m bothered about is us, and on that showing I am feeling a bit worried.

The first half was gutless from us because we never got into the game at all, with it being all Kidderminster Harriers from the off. For obvious reasons we did have key players missing, but I was shocked why we only started with one natural midfielder when we had James Hardy and Jude Oyibo on the bench. If they weren’t fit enough to play the full 90 then that’s understandable, but even if they could just get through an hour then they should’ve started, as the game was over by the hour mark anyway in hindsight. My expectations were low when looking at that line-up, but I at least expected us to show some desire and play some decent football which were not evident on a wonderful playing surface. In midfield we had no bite at all as we were ripped apart by Kidderminster, and as I alluded to previously our lack of width resulted in our opponents having a field day on both flanks. After the tenth minute mark Kiddy’s first proper chance fell to Sam Austin who lashed over, as they continued to put us under pressure. Five minutes later Kidderminster Harriers went even closer to breaking the deadlock, as Ashley Hemmings nodded against the underside of the crossbar. Halfway through the half we finally had our first opening as a Josh Askew strike was denied by Luke Simpson. We were made to pay as before the half hour mark Kidderminster Harriers made it 1-0 through Omari Sterling-James, who easily stabbed into the net as our lack of defence lost their men in the move. Meanwhile, at the other end Simpson was forced into another smart save by denying a Jamie Morgan curler. Ashley Hemmings somehow managed to smack the woodwork again for Kidderminster Harriers, as a deflected attempt cannoned back off the post. Towards the interval Sam Austin had the ball in the back of the net for Kidderminster Harriers, but fortunately for us his strike was disallowed for offside. The final piece of action came in added time, where Louis Gray pulled off a spectacular save to palm an Austin effort over the crossbar. All in all, an inept first half showing saw us deservedly head into the break a goal down, with plenty of work to do.

Meanwhile, our second half outing was equally bad because we did not improve at all with us still being too scared to test Kidderminster Harriers’ backline, while our lack of pace or quality in possession diminished any hopes of getting back into the clash. You would think we were the side who were 1-0 up because we sat back as if we were defending a narrow lead, however given the fact we were behind we failed to push up to start more attacks, while due to us failing to press Kiddy the home side continued to outplay us, which really frustrated me. We had a great chance early doors though as Simon Grand fired over from close range, while bang on the hour mark a George Waring header had to be cleared away from the goal line. Only a few minutes later Mark Carrington made it 2-0 to Kidderminster Harriers to kill any hope of us finding a way back, as he unleashed a rocket into the top corner from 30 yards. It was a brilliant goal, but he should never have had the opportunity to take the shot in the first place given we should’ve easily pressed him down, so another head scratcher from our point of view. With less than twenty minutes to go things got even worse for us, as a great Sam Austin strike for Kidderminster Harriers rebounded off the post and into the net to make it 3-0 to Kidderminster Harriers. Into the final ten Luke Clark scuffed a shot wide to sum up our fortunes. Then, in the final minute of added time an opposing player stupidly stuck a leg out to trip Simon Grand up to award us with a penalty, and unlike Saturday it was blatant this time. John Johnston managed to tuck away the resulting penalty for us to make it 3-1, but it was ridiculously too late for us to conjure up anything. A deserved defeat for us in the end because a sheer lack of quality and desire saw us come home with nothing.

Another case of our bad performers outweighing our good performers on Monday, as very few can emerge from that horror show with any credit. Our overall display was an insult to us supporters, but one of the select few who can emerge with some credit is Matty Williams who is my man of the match. He was prone to the odd error, but in general he was very assured defensively, and given our overall defence was a mix-up he did quite well given our circumstances. Louis Gray made a couple of great saves and couldn’t do a lot for all three goals, so I was annoyed when he was on the wrong end of abuse by one of our ‘’supporters’’ who quite rightly got kicked out. I’m struggling to find any other positives for the rest of our side though, as in midfield and attack we were invisible. It mustn’t have been easy for some of them to play out of position, but given Josh Askew did play at left back he should’ve known far better to play much more wider and stop crosses, because Kidderminster Harriers’ wingers were in acres of space on both flanks. Simon Grand was dire when he came on, and George Waring was useless up front too given his first touch from the long balls that were pumped up to him rebounded off him to red shirt.

Not a great time to be a Seal at the moment as I have come away from each and every one of our matches so far feeling downtrodden. As much as it was a hard watch on Monday, it is very unsavoury to read infightings between our supporters and even management team on social media. It’s too late after the game now, but one piece of advice I would give to Bern and Jonno (the latter especially) is to stay away from social media after a bad performance. I admire them a lot for their honesty and openness, but we saw under Jon McCarthy that it got to a stage where he had to delete his Twitter account, and in the end it got that bad the majority of our fanbase turned on him, so it is a dangerous road to go down. The last thing we need now is a split fanbase, because our attendances have already taken a huge hit so we absolutely can’t afford even more people to walk away. Looking around the away terrace at Kidderminster Harriers the other day, and even on a home matchday I didn’t see too many faces that I don’t know, so it does seem as if we are now down or nearing to our core of diehards, who watch us week in week out regardless of how we play. Our next match is on Saturday as we play Alfreton Town at home in what is simply a must-win. I dread to find out what our attendance for this one will be as I expect it to be similar to last Saturday’s depressing figure, however if we fail to win this one then I can see the atmosphere being toxic. Our injury situation at the moment hasn’t helped at all, but this cannot go on for much longer so if we do not win on Saturday, then perhaps their really is something wrong beyond that. Having attended every match so far I have a right to voice my frustrations, but nevertheless I will still be there on Saturday encouraging us to break our rotten run.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Sep 3 2021, 06:54 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

My pre-match digest:
https://youtu.be/CAn3yE6NRic
Packed with everything regarding Monday’s encounter, including...
🤝 Our head-to-head record against Kidderminster Harriers.
🏟 A stadium guide of Aggborough.
🎥 The goals from last Saturday’s clash against Gateshead.
📽 Plus much more!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th November 2021 - 03:13 AM