Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Aug 23 2021, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

On the back of a solid start to our new season on Saturday we are back on home turf tomorrow night as we host Curzon Ashton in our first home match of the season where we look to record our first win of the new campaign. Given we fought back from 2-0 down in our curtain raiser at Farsley Celtic a couple of days ago, we got off to a decent start in the end, therefore it’s all the more important we back that up with three points tomorrow. The beginning of any season always produces cagey affairs so it won’t be plain sailing tomorrow, however with all due respect to Curzon this is one of those fixtures we look at where we have to win, thus nothing but three points would be deemed as a disappointment.

Our last match was on Saturday where we drew 2-2 away against Farsley Celtic in what was your obligatory game of two halves. The first half was shocking as we were all at sea defensively, while Farsley’s high pressing up the pitch remarkably shell-shocked us. It only took five minutes for Farsley Celtic to break the deadlock, as Tyler Walton smashed across the face of goal and into the far corner to make it 1-0 to the Yorkshire side. On the approach to the half hour mark things became even worse for us, as Adam Clayton nodded in to make it 2-0 to Farsley Celtic. With half time on the horizon though, George Waring provided us with a lifeline to make it 2-1 as he powered a header home from a delightful George Glendon cross. That goal came just at the perfect time for us, as we had something to shout about after a shocking start. Meanwhile, our performance in the second period was a lot better as it was us who were the more dominant side, and as a result of that we were unlucky to not have even won the match in the end. With the final twenty within sight it was that man again, George Waring, who nodded in a lovely cushioned header for us to make it 2-2. Although we equalised with a chunk of time left, we couldn’t find that winner but regardless of that, a draw is still a decent result after a horrific opening 45.

Curzon Ashton will be making the venture from Greater Manchester looking to create another comfortable season at this level. Unfortunately last season was of course brought to an early close due to Covid, but The Nash were still sat in a decent lower mid table position in Steve Cunningham’s debut season as Curzon manager, and given the Lancashire side did have an impressive squad they could’ve pushed on even further had the pandemic not intervened. Unfortunately for our opponents though, a number of their key players from last campaign such as one of the best goalkeepers in the league in Cam Mason have departed the Tameside Stadium, while our own selves have done a mini-raid on Curzon given we have lured Jude Oyibo, Darren Stephenson, and Dan Cowan over to the Deva Stadium. Therefore, I do think it will be a more challenging season for the visitors this time out, however the arrival of ex-Liverpool player Jack Dunn will certainly give them a big boost, as will Adam Thomas who has already won this league with Stockport County. Furthermore, three very familiar former Seals will be making a return to the Deva tomorrow in Craig Mahon, Matty Waters, and Craig Hobson, therefore I really hope we give them a warm welcome home. Firstly, right winger Mahon signed for us from Vauxhall Motors in May 2013, where he had a superb tenure here given to this day he still holds our record for most appearances since our reformation. In his first season here Mahony joined AFC Fylde on loan in October 2013 before returning to us in November 2013, while he had a further loan spell out at Ashton United in December 2019 before returning to us in January of last year. Sadly though, Craig’s next move was on a permanent basis as he joined Altrincham later on in January of last year, before moving to Curzon Ashton last August which is where he has been at ever since. Meanwhile, left back Matty graduated from our youth academy to our first team in July 2016, where he was another great servant for us having waited a while to be a regular fixture in our side. In September 2018 Matty joined City Of Liverpool on a month-long loan before returning to us in October 2018, while sadly last August he departed us before joining Curzon Ashton later on last August, which is where he has been at ever since. Lastly, striker Hobson signed for us from Guiseley in 2014 where even though he was very hit and miss, he is still well-known for scoring our equaliser in our unforgettable 2-1 win against Wrexham. Hobbo departed us to join Altrincham in July 2016, while he signed for Curzon Ashton in January of this year and has been there ever since.

Our following at Farsley Celtic the other day was immense, therefore we have to recreate another strong atmosphere tomorrow night in order to help us secure our first three points of the season. Given this fixture is now on a Tuesday night rather than on the original Saturday, an attendance of 2,000+ would still be good so it’s important we back our lads to the hilt, as the work rate and fighting spirit produced on Saturday highlights what a special squad we have. If Anthony Dudley does miss out again due to Covid it will obviously be a blow for us, however George Waring stepped up to the plate superbly on Saturday so hopefully he’ll keep his great start going. Josh Askew definitely has to start at left back too because he made a difference when he came on at Farsley, while I’d also start Jude Oyibo as well given he made a lively impact. Come On City!

𝙎𝙘𝙤𝙧𝙚 - Chester FC (Waring, Oyibo) 2-0 Curzon Ashton

𝘼𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚 - 2,035 (48 Curzon Ashton)
𝙈𝙮 𝙥𝙧𝙚𝙙𝙞𝙘𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙪𝙥:
Gray
Roberts Livesey Grand Askew
Hardy Glendon Weeks Oyibo
Waring Stephenson

𝙏𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙩𝙨 - tickets for this clash are available online to both sets of supporters, and you can purchase yours by clicking on the link below up until kick-off. However, you can still buy a ticket on the day of the game tomorrow from our ticket office, but with cashless turnstiles in operation payment by card is strongly encouraged. One brand new thing being introduced tomorrow though is that you are able to pay at the turnstile by card, with chip and pin, contactless, Apple Pay, and Google Pay options all in place in The Gary Talbot Stand and the Harry McNally Terrace initially 👇:
chesterfc.ktckts.com/brand/match-tickets

COYS!

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 27 2021, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

We have had a handful of shockers in the Bern and Jonno tenure, but Tuesday night was up there with one of the worst as I am still shell-shocked and appalled at what I witnessed. Our players had the audacity to wear a ‘’thank you’’ training top before the game, and that’s the way they thank us for raising well over £220,000 during the last 18 months with that diatribe? Perhaps they might wear a ‘sorry about that’ t-shirt before Gateshead tomorrow as that attempt of a ‘’performance’’ was diabolical, and an insult to our bowling green of a pitch which looked incredible on Tuesday night. Their was no fight, direction, or ambition out there, and I am baffled as to why we scrapped our usual free-flowing expansive football to just lump it up in the air, rather than playing the ball down on our carpet of a pitch. As much as we were atrocious, full credit has to go to Curzon Ashton who sussed us out and did their homework superbly, as they pressed us high for lots of the match, didn’t let us have time on the ball, were well-organised defensively to frustrate us, while they were skilful on the attack so you have to take your hats off to them. As for us, this is a major, major wake up call because five goals conceded and no wins against Farsley Celtic and Curzon is a disgraceful start, so they need a huge kick up the backside ahead of a tough weekend against two full time teams.

Our first half display was an eyesore because we were so slow and pedestrianised in our play, while even when Curzon Ashton punished us by scoring twice we still never got going. I was left flabbergasted as to how bad our defence was, as our full backs were beaten to the ball every single time by Curzon’s wingers, the likes of Simon Grand and Jamie Morgan failed to stick with their men which resulted in more crosses and openings being created, while our clearances were abject. Grand, in particular, was alarming as I can count on both hands how many attempted passes and clearances fell to Curzon players, and it really was painful to watch. In midfield we were non-existent which is something of a rarity given our pedigree, but like Bern said if Declan Weeks, George Glendon, and James Hardy aren’t on their game then something must be wrong, and they too were really poor. It took less than ten minutes for Curzon Ashton to make it 0-1, as Adam Thomas netted a very simple goal by tapping in at the far post after we failed to prevent the initial cross. Things got from bad to worse as on the 25th minute mark Adam Thomas made it 0-2 to secure his brace, because he slotted into the bottom corner near the penalty spot with nobody closing him down. Our only notable chance came before the half hour mark, as George Waring blazed over following Darren Stephenson’s initial effort which was kept out by Chris Renshaw. In our first home league match without restrictions in 18 months we were booed off at half time which is the most Chester thing ever, although that was fully justified.

The second half was slightly better, but still nowhere near good enough as we didn’t exactly throw the kitchen sink at Curzon Ashton given we were still slow in our play. Bern and Jonno must take some responsibility for this horror show too in their team selection, because I despair at why they played a right back in Jamie Morgan at left back when, at the same time, they placed our only left back in Josh Askew on the bench. It takes me back to the Bignot bingo days because not only should Askew have started, but Jude Oyibo should’ve too as they were our only two bright lights in the second half, as they actually wanted to win the game and make things happen. Moments into the half George Waring fired straight at Chris Renshaw, while at the other end Jack McKay forced Louis Gray to make a save. Renshaw denied G Waz once again a few minutes later as he made a superb save to tip his header behind for a corner. George Waring so nearly scored what would’ve been an unbelievable goal for us, as a remarkable overhead kick agonisingly struck the crossbar while his rebound went over. A scuffed shot by Lloyd Marsh-Hughes was denied by Curzon’s custodian, with Renshaw producing another excellent save to palm over a Danny Livesey header. With time running out Marsh-Hughes had two further chances as firstly, a header rippled against the side netting before another header was stopped by Renshaw. Our misery was confirmed in added time as former Seal Craig Hobson made it 0-3 to Curzon Ashton, as a horrific back-pass by I think Simon Grand was capitalised on by Hobson, who simply slotted in. A huge kick up the backside is needed from our management down to our players, as that was unforgivable and an embarrassment.

With the greatest respect to our Gary Talbot Legends Lounge members I had to chuckle when Cleggy read Declan Weeks out as our man of the match as he had a very poor game, which isn’t like him. Only a couple of our players can emerge with some credit from Tuesday night which says it all, although my man of the match has to be Jude Oyibo who was really lively and exciting to watch when he came on. He was probably our only player who wanted us to do something, as he made things happen with his trickery and skill on the ball, so he HAS to start on Saturday. Josh Askew, another player who has to start, was also decent while Lloyd Marsh-Hughes offered something up top and was one of a very few players who actually tried and put any effort in. Apart from that, their were plenty of woeful performances out there with Simon Grand sticking out to maintain a nightmare start to the season for him. Grand’s passes to our midfield were utterly abysmal, he was often beaten to the ball by a pink shirt, while he failed to stick to his man so as sad as it sounds, could it be a season too much for him? I sincerely hope not, but let’s remember after our play-off defeat two seasons ago he hinted about a retirement, so for him to be playing two years on is testament to his dedication, but sadly it’s what happens on the pitch that matters and so far this season, he’s been way below standard. John Johnston was really disappointing too because he was bullied by Curzon Ashton and went missing massively, which is similar to Darren Stephenson who offered nothing.

As I allude to, that so-called performance was an insult to us supporters who sang non-stop on the Harry Mac in the second half and backed us superbly. We deserve far better than watching that dirge and having to put up with the catering issues, because I too think our attendance looked much closer to the 2,000 mark. As much as that was a hard watch on Tuesday night, I do think supporters who are writing us off after just two games need to have a re-think because as much as I don’t want to sugarcoat it, I would rather these results happen now and us learn from it than at the business end of the season. This has to be a massive reality check for us now, because if we can’t beat Farsley Celtic and Curzon Ashton then goodness knows how we will perform against two full time teams in Gateshead and Kidderminster Harriers this weekend. Our next match is tomorrow as we play Gateshead at home where a major improvement is needed. Let’s hope Bern and Jonno will start with the right team this time, as we can’t afford to be complacent and take gambles again when we have two perfectly good footballers in Josh Askew and Jude Oyibo who must be starting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Aug 28 2021, 09:45 AM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

My pre-match digest:
https://youtu.be/75RLECJugM8
Packed with everything about Tuesday night’s encounter, including...
🎥 All of the goals from Saturday’s draw against Farsley Celtic.
👀 A lowdown on Curzon Ashton.
🌍 All of the latest Seals stories.
📽 Plus lots more!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th November 2021 - 02:04 AM