Deva Chat - 18 seasons as the voice of the city

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can we make this Boreham Wood thing funny?
Lobster
post Aug 19 2016, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 203

I've noticed that Tranmere's Phoenix From The Flames video has been viewed more than 6,000 times in the space of three days, and has been retweeted 133 times. They've actually made this into a great bit of online publicity while highlighting Boreham Wood's pettiness at the same time. I've no doubt it will get a mention in Sunday's NLP as well.

This had me wondering if we could do something that would make people laugh or grab their attention in light of them being the only club who won't let us commentate on games without paying them.

Ideas off top of my head could include:

- Somebody actually doing a commentary on the progress of the Chester FC Twitter page - i.e. someone sat in front of their computer commentating that they're refreshing the page and nothing's happened or that BBC Live Text says we've won a corner, and billing it as the closest you'll come to live coverage of the game.

- Broadcasting 90 minutes of silence via Blues Live

- Creating a 'highlights' video of any goals at the game using Subbuteo players, Lego figures, or just blue and white painted fingers doing walking and kicking movements.

These are just a few ideas. A bit of creativity here could be a great advert for the club!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Aug 19 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #2

1st team regular

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 3174

QUOTE (XWWB @ Aug 19 2016, 08:06 PM) *
I've noticed that Tranmere's Phoenix From The Flames video has been viewed more than 6,000 times in the space of three days, and has been retweeted 133 times. They've actually made this into a great bit of online publicity while highlighting Boreham Wood's pettiness at the same time. I've no doubt it will get a mention in Sunday's NLP as well.

This had me wondering if we could do something that would make people laugh or grab their attention in light of them being the only club who won't let us commentate on games without paying them.

- Somebody actually doing a commentary on the progress of the Chester FC Twitter page - i.e. someone sat in front of their computer commentating that they're refreshing the page and nothing's happened or that BBC Live Text says we've won a corner, and billing it as the closest you'll come to live coverage of the game.

- Creating a 'highlights' video of any goals at the game using Subbuteo players, Lego figures, or just blue and white painted fingers doing walking and kicking movements.

These are just a few ideas. A bit of creativity here could be a great advert for the club!

Blues Live has been broadcasting 90 minutes of silences the past few weeks.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Aug 19 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (stortfordblue @ Aug 19 2016, 09:17 PM) *

Ha, well maybe not that one then. Those were just ideas I didn't think about too hard.

I just think the best way to deal with stuff like this is with humour, like when we put together the joke bid to buy Brondby. That almost went viral!

+Quote Post
Astro
post Aug 19 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #4

Youth team

Member No.: 11580

I think we can make it worthwhile if not funny. Just do a whip round for exactly 80 quid and donate it to a local charity down there.

+Quote Post
Deva Blue
post Aug 19 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #5

Squad player

Member No.: 11858

They could go to the ground and try and film from outside and create a highlights reel haha, that would really p**s em off

--------------------
Heard about the bad times, witnessed the good ones.

+Quote Post
Charfield Blue
post Aug 20 2016, 06:26 AM
Post #6

1st team legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 174

biggrin.gif

I've unsubscribed because it was becoming too frustrating. Such a shame since as an exile as it's a great way of keeping in touch.

To be honest, the service has always been poor but I kept it up mainly for the digital copies of the match program, but even this hasn't happened so far this season. I feel sorry for the guys who put in the effort to bring fellow fans live commentary, but it just hasn't worked consistently.

I'm happy to pay for a service such as this, but in doing so want something that works.

--------------------
The Craig Revel-Horwood of non-league football forums - cheers Viv

One Nugget short of a Happy Meal

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Aug 20 2016, 06:36 AM
Post #7

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

QUOTE (Deva Blue @ Aug 19 2016, 11:44 PM) *

They could go to the ground and try and film from outside and create a highlights reel haha, that would really p**s em off

They could also ask locals if they charge for giving directions to places.

Interview pigeons to see if they charge for feeding them and confirm with the local Samaritans that their number is definitely free and not a premium rate line.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
Derry Blue
post Aug 20 2016, 07:57 AM
Post #8

I am Irish!

Member No.: 11668

N

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Aug 20 2016, 08:12 AM
Post #9

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (Derry Blue @ Aug 20 2016, 08:57 AM) *

N

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

It reminds me of the time of the "great protest" walking around the ground as Gordon Hills team played somebody or other, and listening to the odd cheer from the packed crowd of about 450.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Burrfect
post Aug 20 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #10

Squad player

Member No.: 11919

QUOTE (Astro @ Aug 19 2016, 09:36 PM) *
I think we can make it worthwhile if not funny. Just do a whip round for exactly 80 quid and donate it to a local charity down there.

That's a very good idea and would get the point over and help a good cause at the same time

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Aug 20 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (Burrfect @ Aug 20 2016, 09:21 AM) *

That's a very good idea and would get the point over and help a good cause at the same time

OK, I've just set up a donation page for a Borehamwood area counselling service called Signpost.

Please donate if you're interested

Let's aim for at least £80

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Aug 20 2016, 04:06 PM
Post #12

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (XWWB @ Aug 20 2016, 10:25 AM) *

OK, I've just set up a donation page for a Borehamwood area counselling service called Signpost.

£165 raised. Well done all.

Should be interesting trying to get one of our fans to copy that Durrell 45 yarder!

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
TheTheremin
post Aug 20 2016, 06:05 PM
Post #13

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2194

£10 donated.

Let's get this advertised to other clubs who have to play Borehamwood FC's pit of darkness.

Could we get £1000 for signpost before the end of the season?

This post has been edited by TheTheremin: Aug 20 2016, 06:05 PM

+Quote Post
Devon Blue
post Aug 20 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #14

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Member No.: 42

This was a magnificent and very appropriate gesture. It would be wonderful if you could get this to their (and our) local press to see (a) if they publish it and (b) B'wood's reaction if they do! The contacts are:

http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/ for the local paper

For the local BBC newsroom it's 01582 636900 or
For the newsroom email 3cr.news@bbc.co.uk

For ITV it's anglianews@itv.com

It would also be great to send this to all the supporters networks in the National League. If more of them take this idea up, then a lot of people in need are going to get some help, as well as an unfriendly club ending up with egg on its face. XWWB deserves a lot of praise for setting this up! bowdown.gif

--------------------
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>COME ON YOU BLUES! </span>

+Quote Post
3mm
post Aug 20 2016, 07:37 PM
Post #15

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Devon Blue @ Aug 20 2016, 07:41 PM) *

This was a magnificent and very appropriate gesture. It would be wonderful if you could get this to their (and our) local press to see (a) if they publish it and (b) B'wood's reaction if they do! The contacts are:

http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/ for the local paper

For the local BBC newsroom it's 01582 636900 or
For the newsroom email 3cr.news@bbc.co.uk

For ITV it's anglianews@itv.com

It would also be great to send this to all the supporters networks in the National League. If more of them take this idea up, then a lot of people in need are going to get some help, as well as an unfriendly club ending up with egg on its face. XWWB deserves a lot of praise for setting this up! bowdown.gif

It will hopefully help a few local Bob Cratchit's and maybe help Scrooge to see the light.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Clare's amaz...
post Aug 20 2016, 11:49 PM
Post #16

Deva Chat's voice of reason
Group Icon

Member No.: 720

Superb gesture. I'm in.

+Quote Post
SueC
post Aug 21 2016, 11:21 AM
Post #17

Best DC Exiled Poster for 2007, 2008 & 2009
Group Icon

Member No.: 110

I've just added in a few £ too. It's a great idea.

You also need to tell the Watford media. For the Watford Observer, go to the following Contact page:

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/contactus/

I suggest you try Charlotte Ikonen - the news editor - first.

In the same area, there's also a website called My Watford News - email Tim@mynewsmag.co.uk.

You could also try Heart FM radio: fcnews@heart.co.uk

Just realised that you should also contact the Non League Paper too.

cityscarf.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan King
post Aug 22 2016, 09:47 AM
Post #18

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1240

A superb gesture, but for it to really have the desired impact the club itself should contribute the amount Borham Wood wanted
for the Media coverage to this charity, then that would really get the message home, and proabably gain more media coverage

--------------------
If you see a bloke opening a Car door for a woman,
It's either a new car or a new woman.

+Quote Post
Catford-Bags
post Aug 22 2016, 10:34 AM
Post #19

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2639

QUOTE (Juan King @ Aug 22 2016, 10:47 AM) *
A superb gesture, but for it to really have the desired impact the club itself should contribute the amount Borham Wood wanted
for the Media coverage to this charity, then that would really get the message home, and proabably gain more media coverage

I guess the club doesn't want to let relations with another club get even worse ... But guess the club are very happy that the fans are getting the message across.

--------------------
the world is a flat plate balanced on the back of a giant tortoise ........... and below that, it is tortoises all the way down.

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Aug 22 2016, 10:48 AM
Post #20

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Juan King @ Aug 22 2016, 10:47 AM) *

If our club donates the £80 I'd give a donation to our club to help cover.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Aug 22 2016, 10:54 AM
Post #21

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

By being fan owned, haven't we as the club donated anyway?

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Aug 22 2016, 11:17 AM
Post #22

Group Icon

I appreciate the idea does have flaws. My way of seeing it is as OYEM says, we are the club. In theory, we could all have chipped in a few quid and given Boreham Wood the £50-80 they wanted, but we decided our money was better going somewhere else.

The reason I took up Astro's suggestion to find a local charity is not so much because of the fee Boreham Wood wanted, but because of the petty statement they put out. I thought it was unprofessional and insulting, making us out to be a right bunch of big time charlies and suggesting that the whole thing was about money, money, money. We're a principled set of supporters who have put our hands in our pockets time and time again for what we believe to be right, and we continue to do so.

Regarding contacting the media etc, I've dropped the Chronicle a line, but I've taken this as far as I want to now personally. If anyone wants to do a bit of PR stuff with it, they're welcome to, but the way I see it is that this is Boreham Wood are making out that this is all about about £80 or so, but we've gone and raised more than double that for a better cause, really only using Devachat for promotion. We've got to remember with the Borehamwood media that they won't want to sour their relationship with their local club any more than the Chronicle would with us, and personally I would rather not get too much in people's faces with this as charity should be about humility.

+Quote Post
Juan King
post Aug 22 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #23

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1240

QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Aug 22 2016, 11:54 AM) *
By being fan owned, haven't we as the club donated anyway?

Not really because the donations have come from fans pockets, not the clubs own bank
account. If you speak up in public saying you disagree with what BW have done, you're
not speaking on behalf of the club, even if it's fan owned - same principle applies here,
with regards donations to the charity, you're not doing it on the clubs behalf, only someone
with an official capacity at board level can sanction that.

Also some of the donations might have come from fans not even in the CFU.

The message comes across a lot better and clearer if we get an official donation from
the clubs official account, endorsed by offical directors etc.

--------------------
If you see a bloke opening a Car door for a woman,
It's either a new car or a new woman.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st February 2019 - 10:46 AM