Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dirtiest players past and present
Alberta Blue
post Dec 20 2013, 01:24 AM
Post #1

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1819

Saw an article recently that named Kevin Muscat as the dirtiest player ever. This got me thinking about the players both at Chester (City) FC and from visiting clubs who you would describe as"'dirty". So thinking caps on people remember its dirty not hard.

I am going for Gary Bennett and as a visiting player i am pretty sure his name was Mick Tait from Hartlepool who if i remember rightly broke Roger Preece's leg with a shocking tackle. The modern game has all but killed off the "hardman" tag, i think Mark(?) Dennis from Southampton was the last of a dying breed

--------------------
A BRAVE NEW DAWN.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WAZ THE BLUE
post Dec 20 2013, 08:05 AM
Post #2

August is the start of another rollercoaster season

Member No.: 1388

Graham Barrow for me

--------------------
BRITISH BY BIRTH, ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

OH , WHEN THE RED ,RED ,ROBIN GOES BOB , BOB, BOBBING ALONG..............

SHOOT THE BAST*RD, SHOOT THE BAST*RD, SHOOT THE BAST*RD !

MASSIVE CLUB MY @RSE !

'THE DAY CHESTER WENT OUT OF THE LEAGUE , I SPENT THE DAY LAUGHING' - BRYN LAW MAY 2000.............. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW ?
ONE WORD ...........KARMA

+Quote Post
toj
post Dec 20 2013, 08:49 AM
Post #3

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 1445

Bobby Wallace back in the early 70's legend had it that he played a whole game with a broken leg after getting kicked in the opening minutes or as a second choice Sir Barry Ash

--------------------
RUNNER UP IN THE CHRONICLE FACE IN THE CROWD COMPETITION ON 3 OCCASIONS

FRIEND OF ALMOST BLUE AND CHESTER 68

ENEMY OF THE "POLITICALLY CORRECT" AND OVER ZEALOUS MODERATORS

THOMAS SOCCERFAN 1982 IST MEIN BESTER FREUND....ICH LIEBE DEUTSCHE

+Quote Post
Hughie Rydens ba...
post Dec 20 2013, 08:56 AM
Post #4

1st team regular

Member No.: 1218

Sir Barry Ashworth.Quote from the border line"After completing a six week suspension in january he had returned to the side only to be sent off against Oldham in March.Warranting a further six week suspension.Hard But UNFAIR. Naa Naa na na naa Sir Barry ASH,OOH,OOH,OOH.Dirtiest Opposition player Arfon Griffiths.

+Quote Post
Bob Shell
post Dec 20 2013, 10:42 AM
Post #5

Squad player

Member No.: 6797

Barry Ash! A legend if ever there was one. Happy Memories of years gone by. Thanks for starting this post.

+Quote Post
sirbarryash
post Dec 20 2013, 11:46 AM
Post #6

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 5096

QUOTE (Bob Shell @ Dec 20 2013, 10:42 AM) *
Barry Ash! A legend if ever there was one. Happy Memories of years gone by. Thanks for starting this post.

As my user name suggests it has to be Sir Barry Ash. I remember being gutted when he left the club suddenly and without explanation but my dad worked for BT and their staff driver also drove the coach for Chester and his story was that after a thrashing by Aldershot away Barry Ashworth beat up their player manager Jimmy Melia in
the changing rooms. Eric Brodie who was in the team at the same time as Barry was a hard man too. Remember Brodie shoulder-charging a little Darlington winger into the perimeter wall and breaking his arm. Anyone remember the chant to Pick a bale of cotton of "Jump down turn around, kick him in the b*ll*cks, jump down turn around kick him in the head, Ooh Ashie kick him in the b*ll*cks, ooh Eric kick him in the head." Happy day
s ! As for opposition, David Gaskell Wrexham goalkeeper, deserves a mention- saw him do some incredible throat chops on players running towards him and he got arrested at a Port Vale away game for hitting a schoolboy. A mate played cricket with him years later and said he was still crazy then. Great thread indeed.

+Quote Post
TomCCFC87
post Dec 20 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #7

Exiled in York

Member No.: 765

Not so much an all round dirty player (not seen him play enough to make that call) but one of the worst challenges (and subsequently worst refereeing decisions) seen at the Deva in recent years has to be Matt Gilks challenge on Gregg Blundell. Gregg was down receiving treatment for ages and left the pitch with on a spinal board in a full neck brace and suffering a concussion, was out for three months and never looked anywhere near the same player again.

Still cant believe the ref gave a yellow for that challenge. Either Gilks got to the ball first in which case no card at all should have been issued or he got Blundell first in which case it was a straight red both for the challenge and being the last man when Gregg would have been clean through on goal.

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Dec 20 2013, 12:51 PM
Post #8

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1562

Cortez belle surely?

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Dec 20 2013, 12:58 PM
Post #9

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

Barry Ash and his wing half partner Eric Brodie - what a pair.

The nastiest/dirtiest player though must be Jimmy McGill.

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Dec 20 2013, 05:05 PM
Post #10

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

QUOTE (iandyChesterCity @ Dec 20 2013, 12:51 PM) *
Cortez belle surely?

Cortez Bell wasn't dirty ... he was just an accident waiting to happen. And happen it did ... many times.

+Quote Post
PhillippeDuLait
post Dec 20 2013, 05:15 PM
Post #11

Like a Tesco's Carrier Bag

Member No.: 139

Dirtiest player for Chester FC? It's a close thing between Ashley Williams and Michael Powell.

I see only one way to settle it. Fight, bare knuckle of course.

--------------------
Your optimism strikes me like junkmail addressed to the dead

http://twitter.com/phillippedulait

+Quote Post
toj
post Dec 20 2013, 06:02 PM
Post #12

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Member No.: 1445

QUOTE (sirbarryash @ Dec 20 2013, 11:46 AM) *

As my user name suggests it has to be Sir Barry Ash. I remember being gutted when he left the club suddenly and without explanation but my dad worked for BT and their staff driver also drove the coach for Chester and his story was that after a thrashing by Aldershot away Barry Ashworth beat up their player manager Jimmy Melia in
the changing rooms. Eric Brodie who was in the team at the same time as Barry was a hard man too. Remember Brodie shoulder-charging a little Darlington winger into the perimeter wall and breaking his arm. Anyone remember the chant to Pick a bale of cotton of "Jump down turn around, kick him in the b*ll*cks, jump down turn around kick him in the head, Ooh Ashie kick him in the b*ll*cks, ooh Eric kick him in the head." Happy day
s ! As for opposition, David Gaskell Wrexham goalkeeper, deserves a mention- saw him do some incredible throat chops on players running towards him and he got arrested at a Port Vale away game for hitting a schoolboy. A mate played cricket with him years later and said he was still crazy then. Great thread indeed.

Dave Gaskell also worked on BT for a short while out of Wrexham,a famous story about his "release" from the company was tha while he was on a training course down in Cardiff he had an instructor by the throat because he didn't like" being talked down to!

--------------------
RUNNER UP IN THE CHRONICLE FACE IN THE CROWD COMPETITION ON 3 OCCASIONS

FRIEND OF ALMOST BLUE AND CHESTER 68

ENEMY OF THE "POLITICALLY CORRECT" AND OVER ZEALOUS MODERATORS

THOMAS SOCCERFAN 1982 IST MEIN BESTER FREUND....ICH LIEBE DEUTSCHE

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Dec 20 2013, 06:22 PM
Post #13

1st team captain
Group Icon

QUOTE (PhillippeDuLait @ Dec 20 2013, 05:15 PM) *
Dirtiest player for Chester FC? It's a close thing between Ashley Williams and Michael Powell.

Pussy cats compared with the old timers.

+Quote Post
Charfield Blue
post Dec 20 2013, 06:41 PM
Post #14

1st team legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 174

QUOTE (WAZ THE BLUE @ Dec 20 2013, 08:05 AM) *
Graham Barrow for me

Barrow v Scales

--------------------
The Craig Revel-Horwood of non-league football forums - cheers Viv

One Nugget short of a Happy Meal

+Quote Post
Always a Support...
post Dec 20 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #15

Reserve skipper
Group Icon

Member No.: 159

So a Chester player beating up jimmy Melia....a really nice guy....gives you a thrill.....or breaking a Darlington players arm ?

--------------------
Dancers are definitely not drinkers !!!

+Quote Post
archie thomas
post Dec 20 2013, 07:42 PM
Post #16

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 6230

sir barry ash bowdown.gif cityscarf.gif and cheyenne brodie

--------------------
dances with wolfs
we whistled and we sang till the sealand end rang and we won the heart of the sealand end.

champions 2010-2011 champions 2011-12 champions 2012-13

high on a hill stood a lonely goat . higher up the hill stood a bloody big wolf. .. 0-2 TO THE PUB TEAM

134 goals .. ALABI 17 GOALS SEASON 16/17

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Dec 20 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #17

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (PhillippeDuLait @ Dec 20 2013, 05:15 PM) *

Bob Delgado was a bit tasty on his day

+Quote Post
andyhubbard
post Dec 20 2013, 08:05 PM
Post #18

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 3436

QUOTE (WAZ THE BLUE @ Dec 20 2013, 08:05 AM) *
Graham Barrow for me

Graham barrow for me too!!

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Dec 20 2013, 11:18 PM
Post #19

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1207

Bob Delgado put a few folks over the wall in his days with us!!

--------------------
Posting from the Great White North

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Dec 20 2013, 11:58 PM
Post #20

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

Cortez Belle's got to be the biggest all-round nutter I've seen at the club. Every game he would either get sent off or come close to getting sent off. Even now you quite often see his name pop up on on Soccer Saturday for whatever Welsh club he's playing for with 'Sent Off (Violent Conduct)' next to it.

+Quote Post
Rob
post Dec 21 2013, 12:04 AM
Post #21

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 2063

Barrow was brilliant, you just knew he would get a crunching tackle in but he would time it so well that none of the officials would pick up on it. He was a CCFC legend!

+Quote Post
JEPSON
post Dec 21 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #22

I,m on this earth to please no-one except myself

Member No.: 495

QUOTE (Billy W @ Dec 20 2013, 12:58 PM) *
The nastiest/dirtiest player though must be Jimmy McGill.

I,ll 2nd that Billy great guy though but an animal when in football boots wacko.gif

--------------------
The only good thing to come out of Wales

The road to England

+Quote Post
sirbarryash
post Dec 21 2013, 11:08 AM
Post #23

YTS Trainee

Member No.: 5096

QUOTE (Always a Supporter @ Dec 20 2013, 07:33 PM) *

So a Chester player beating up jimmy Melia....a really nice guy....gives you a thrill.....or breaking a Darlington players arm ?

A different era then. What was a buzz at 14 isn't a buzz 40 years on, but in those games there really was a feeling of "Get your retaliation in first" as something bad could happen to you anytime. A guy called Renwick always got barracked at Chester (Aldershot player?) as he had reputedly broken the legs of 2 Chester players one Boxing Day. (Both Jones's ? Ray and Bryn ? Someone here will know.) Different times, but I take your point !

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Dec 21 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #24

1st team captain
Group Icon

QUOTE (sirbarryash @ Dec 21 2013, 11:08 AM) *

A different era then. What was a buzz at 14 isn't a buzz 40 years on, but in those games there really was a feeling of "Get your retaliation in first" as something bad could happen to you anytime. A guy called Renwick always got barracked at Chester (Aldershot player?) as he had reputedly broken the legs of 2 Chester players one Boxing Day. (Both Jones's ? Ray and Bryn ? Someone here will know.) Different times, but I take your point !

I remember Renwick - ginger hair if I remember correctly. I know he was involved with one of the breaks, not sure about both.

+Quote Post
mused
post Dec 21 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #25

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

For gods sake, have a day off AAS.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st February 2019 - 10:21 AM