Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Womens World Cup
Catford-Bags
post Jun 21 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #1

1st team stalwart

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 2639

Anyone watching the ladies and think one or two of them could hack it with the lads at El Deva ? ... couple of the French mademoiselles are half decent tonight ?

--------------------
the world is a flat plate balanced on the back of a giant tortoise ........... and below that, it is tortoises all the way down.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zooblue
post Jun 21 2015, 09:22 PM
Post #2

Zoo Blue
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 1720

QUOTE (Catford-Bags @ Jun 21 2015, 09:49 PM) *
Anyone watching the ladies and think one or two of them could hack it with the lads at El Deva ? ... couple of the French mademoiselles are half decent tonight ?

Hack it with the lads? With all due respect and despite watching a few matches with occasional bouts of being entertained,
this is a very different level of football to the level I've watched the pasted 50 years.

Their physical build is not their fault but I've can't imagine a Chester side ever having to get into second gear to beat these lot.
Sorry ladies for any offence. I just don't think it's right to compare.

the one thing I do like is their absence of arguing with the referee or petty tantrums when not getting the rub of the green. I think the men's game
could learn something from this.

I'm sure this Women's World Cup is a well bashed about theme in DC so I am not trying to start anything, just responding to CB's question ... in my opinion of course.

ZB

--------------------
Proud to be a Blue. Supporting local football.

+Quote Post
3mm
post Jun 22 2015, 06:34 AM
Post #3

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 91

I've quite liked watching it ever since going to a cup final between Arsenal and Tranmere ladies at Chester. Sue Smith played for Tranmere and was excellent but they still lost 0-3. Saw some games in the 2012 Olympics, including GB v Brazil at Wembley, Marta is a good player, and USA v Canada at Old Trafford when Christine Sinclair got a hat-trick.

The standard is improving all the time, with goalkeeping being the main position where the girls are deffo not as strong. To anyone who's not seen a game, I'd say give it a go, it's good.

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Jun 22 2015, 08:16 AM
Post #4

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (3mm @ Jun 22 2015, 07:34 AM) *
I've quite liked watching it ever since going to a cup final between Arsenal and Tranmere ladies at Chester. Sue Smith played for Tranmere and was excellent but they still lost 0-3. Saw some games in the 2012 Olympics, including GB v Brazil at Wembley, Marta is a good player, and USA v Canada at Old Trafford when Christine Sinclair got a hat-trick.

The standard is improving all the time, with goalkeeping being the main position where the girls are deffo not as strong. To anyone who's not seen a game, I'd say give it a go, it's good.

Na..no thanks even the good teams in this would struggle level 5 of the mens non league game (evostick etc)

+Quote Post
AndyHa
post Jun 22 2015, 08:37 AM
Post #5

The Reaper
Group Icon

Member No.: 79

No real interest in it but switched on the other night and watched about 10 mins of Sweden v Germany. Turned it off again and that will do for me, hard to compare with the mens game but suspect the top teams could compete with a Sunday pub team. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Entertainments may be taxed; public houses may be taxed… and the yield devoted to the general revenue. But motorists are to be privileged for all time to have the tax on motors devoted to roads? This is an outrage upon… common sense." Winston Churchill

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Jun 22 2015, 08:44 AM
Post #6

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

QUOTE (waggoner @ Jun 22 2015, 09:16 AM) *

Na..no thanks even the good teams in this would struggle level 5 of the mens non league game (evostick etc)

I'll be staying up to watch our ladies play Norway tonight .... I suppose it a patriotism thing. I think it's a bit ingenuous to compare the men and women's games. It's like comparing Union and League (rugby), although I guess the union guys are catching up. I agree that goalkeepers are the weak link generally, but that might be due to lack of inches. I will be very surprised if the German's have to get out of second gear to win it though.

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Jun 22 2015, 09:49 AM
Post #7

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (shunter blue @ Jun 22 2015, 09:44 AM) *

I'll be staying up to watch our ladies play Norway tonight .... I suppose it a patriotism thing. I think it's a bit ingenuous to compare the men and women's games. It's like comparing Union and League (rugby), although I guess the union guys are catching up. I agree that goalkeepers are the weak link generally, but that might be due to lack of inches. I will be very surprised if the German's have to get out of second gear to win it though.

What i mean is that the standard is very low, if it was mens football played at that level i doubt many would want to watch it

+Quote Post
Marty Funkhouser
post Jun 22 2015, 10:05 AM
Post #8

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8363

QUOTE (waggoner @ Jun 22 2015, 10:49 AM) *

What i mean is that the standard is very low, if it was mens football played at that level i doubt many would want to watch it

I've watched a few games on BBC3 and the standard of women's football has clearly improved exponentially in recent years. Players seem fitter and stronger with greater ball control and tactically more astute. The England vs Colombia game was a cracker.

--------------------
If you can

+Quote Post
SqzL
post Jun 22 2015, 10:52 AM
Post #9

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 11695

QUOTE (Marty Funkhouser @ Jun 22 2015, 11:05 AM) *

I've watched a few games on BBC3 and the standard of women's football has clearly improved exponentially in recent years. Players seem fitter and stronger with greater ball control and tactically more astute. The England vs Colombia game was a cracker.

The women have good levels of fitness etc. but when it comes to real quality I'd say it's not fantastic. You see some goals fly in that look great, but most goalkeepers in the men's game would step across and push it out for a corner simply. Technically they are pretty good and try to play some nice football at times but it's not conference standard in my opinion. Certainly been improvement though, as many have said. Good luck tonight ladies.

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Jun 22 2015, 12:06 PM
Post #10

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

Think you are all comparing apples and oranges to be honest. The game is different but no less entertaining. Where the elite mens game depends in the main on extreme physical attributes, the womens game gives space and some of the skills on display are at times outstanding. The Columbian left winger who left the two England defenders with twisted blood was a perfect example.

England played very well in the first half of that game, and that makes tonights game really worth tuning in for. Good luck lionesses.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Jun 22 2015, 12:29 PM
Post #11

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

Yes I have been surprised with the standard of their game,and enjoyable to watch,now if I only knew what "exponentially" meant? Surely the most complex word ever used on Deva Chat! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
3mm
post Jun 22 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #12

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Jun 22 2015, 01:29 PM) *

Yes I have been surprised with the standard of their game,and enjoyable to watch,now if I only knew what "exponentially" meant? Surely the most complex word ever used on Deva Chat! rolleyes.gif

Indubitably.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mused
post Jun 22 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #13

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

The England v Columbia game was outstanding but any team in the conference would beat any team at this World Cup. Nothing to do with ability, it's just purely down to the physical element.
When are England on again? I really enjoyed that last game. France look a superb team too.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
3mm
post Jun 22 2015, 08:36 PM
Post #14

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

QUOTE (mused @ Jun 22 2015, 09:33 PM) *
The England v Columbia game was outstanding but any team in the conference would beat any team at this World Cup. Nothing to do with ability, it's just purely down to the physical element.
When are England on again? I really enjoyed that last game. France look a superb team too.

Tonight on BBC3, 10pm ko.

The Norwegian women have made a womens footy video, not bad wink.gif .... BBC Football

--------------------

+Quote Post
mused
post Jun 22 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #15

1st team captain

QUOTE (3mm @ Jun 22 2015, 09:36 PM) *

The Norwegian women have made a womens footy video, not bad wink.gif .... BBC Football

Cheers, I thought it was tonight. I'll have a bit of that. Come on England and our mini messi!

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
Derry Blue
post Jun 22 2015, 10:51 PM
Post #16

I am Irish!

Member No.: 11668

Well done England!

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Jun 23 2015, 01:46 AM
Post #17

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1207

Canada v England, who do I support I wonder?

--------------------
Posting from the Great White North

+Quote Post
artyfarty
post Jun 23 2015, 07:20 AM
Post #18

Youth team

Member No.: 9009

QUOTE (mused @ Jun 22 2015, 09:43 PM) *

Cheers, I thought it was tonight. I'll have a bit of that. Come on England and our mini messi!

Stayed up and watched the first half last night, and it was like watching paint dry! Couldn't take any more so went to bed safe in the knowledge that we would get beat. Low and behold, woke up to the great news this morning that we'd actually won!!! Mind you, i don't think i'll be staying up late again as it was really frustrating watching our performance in that first half. Can't say i'm taken with the idea of womens football at the moment but must admit that they are improving all the time and i might get around to watrching another game in the next World Cup to see how much more they've progressed. But as far as this World Cup goes - that's it for me!

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Jun 23 2015, 07:34 AM
Post #19

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

Our ladies only started playing when they went behind to what was a very good goal scored by a skim-on from a corner. I missed our equaliser as I was in the kitchen, but the winner was one of the best goals you'll ever see at any level. They're like us in a way. Many games last season we only started playing when we went behind. Can't think of many games when we dominated from start to finish, the main one being Lincoln at home, but can think of quite a few when we never really turned up: Barnet (certainly at home), Grimsby (a), Bristol R (a), FGR and Eastleigh and probably a few others.

+Quote Post
mused
post Jun 23 2015, 07:36 AM
Post #20

1st team captain

QUOTE (artyfarty @ Jun 23 2015, 08:20 AM) *

Stayed up and watched the first half last night, and it was like watching paint dry! Couldn't take any more so went to bed safe in the knowledge that we would get beat. Low and behold, woke up to the great news this morning that we'd actually won!!! Mind you, i don't think i'll be staying up late again as it was really frustrating watching our performance in that first half. Can't say i'm taken with the idea of womens football at the moment but must admit that they are improving all the time and i might get around to watrching another game in the next World Cup to see how much more they've progressed. But as far as this World Cup goes - that's it for me!

The second half was a better half of football, still not up to the previous game but better than the abysmal first half. The winner was a cracking goal. It will be tough against Canada, the home nation who showed up well at the Olympics but after beating the fancied Norwegions, who knows!
Anyone else think the Norwegians all seemed to morf into one person? They were like 11 identical sisters!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Derry Blue
post Jun 23 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #21

I am Irish!

Member No.: 11668

QUOTE (mused @ Jun 23 2015, 08:36 AM) *

The second half was a better half of football, still not up to the previous game but better than the abysmal first half. The winner was a cracking goal. It will be tough against Canada, the home nation who showed up well at the Olympics but after beating the fancied Norwegions, who knows!
Anyone else think the Norwegians all seemed to morf into one person? They were like 11 identical sisters!

I think they brought in ringers because two (yes two) of them had brown hair.

+Quote Post
dr jekyll
post Jun 23 2015, 10:24 AM
Post #22

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 5322

QUOTE (Derry Blue @ Jun 23 2015, 08:57 AM) *

In comparison I thought the Norway girls looked pretty decent ,we must have one of the ugliest sides in the competition.

--------------------
George Whitebread I like What i Say !! and ill say what i bloody well like!!

Rule Britannia ! My country Long Before England Wales and Scotland were invented !!!!

"DEVA" The Capital of Britannia ! Capital of the universe!!

"Chester Fan Born and bred Strong in Mind Good in Bed"

Dr Jekyll is and always has been Mike Hunt!

Why I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those meddling Posters on here!!

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Jun 23 2015, 11:41 AM
Post #23

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (dr jekyll @ Jun 23 2015, 11:24 AM) *
QUOTE (Derry Blue @ Jun 23 2015, 08:57 AM) *

In comparison I thought the Norway girls looked pretty decent ,we must have one of the ugliest sides in the competition.

Oh dear you will have the PC brigade after you Dj remember what happened to John Inverdale? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Jimianto
post Jun 23 2015, 12:08 PM
Post #24

Come On City!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1243

The England v Columbia game was outstanding but any team in the conference would beat any team at this World Cup. Nothing to do with ability, it's just purely down to the physical element. When are England on again? I really enjoyed that last game. France look a superb team too.
Tonight on BBC3, 10pm ko. The Norwegian women have made a womens footy video, not bad wink.gif .... BBC Football
The second half was a better half of football, still not up to the previous game but better than the abysmal first half. The winner was a cracking goal. It will be tough against Canada, the home nation who showed up well at the Olympics but after beating the fancied Norwegions, who knows! Anyone else think the Norwegians all seemed to morf into one person? They were like 11 identical sisters!

All changed once we substituted Fran Kirby, who the commentators mistakenly compare to Messi (maybe the hairstyle) and brought Jill Scott on. Although we actually conceded a goal immediately this happened, the rest of the game was England's. The whole team shape improved and they started passing with confidence and didn't seem scared stiff any more. Strong finish and surely that's the team that starts the next game (maybe the subbed Duggan back up front for Taylor). Duggan was ridiculously isolated in the first half, but to be fair she kept working and ran her socks off.

Can't see England winning it - not enough class these days without a Yankey or Kelly Smith - but some capable players, especially from set pieces. I hope they have a right go at Canada from the first whistle and press further up the pitch.

+Quote Post
mused
post Jun 23 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #25

1st team captain

QUOTE (Jimianto @ Jun 23 2015, 01:08 PM) *
The England v Columbia game was outstanding but any team in the conference would beat any team at this World Cup. Nothing to do with ability, it's just purely down to the physical element. When are England on again? I really enjoyed that last game. France look a superb team too.
Tonight on BBC3, 10pm ko. The Norwegian women have made a womens footy video, not bad wink.gif .... BBC Football
The second half was a better half of football, still not up to the previous game but better than the abysmal first half. The winner was a cracking goal. It will be tough against Canada, the home nation who showed up well at the Olympics but after beating the fancied Norwegions, who knows! Anyone else think the Norwegians all seemed to morf into one person? They were like 11 identical sisters!

All changed once we substituted Fran Kirby, who the commentators mistakenly compare to Messi (maybe the hairstyle) and brought Jill Scott on. Although we actually conceded a goal immediately this happened, the rest of the game was England's. The whole team shape improved and they started passing with confidence and didn't seem scared stiff any more. Strong finish and surely that's the team that starts the next game (maybe the subbed Duggan back up front for Taylor). Duggan was ridiculously isolated in the first half, but to be fair she kept working and ran her socks off.

Can't see England winning it - not enough class these days without a Yankey or Kelly Smith - but some capable players, especially from set pieces. I hope they have a right go at Canada from the first whistle and press further up the pitch.

They will have to improve greatly on last nights performance to be the Canadians in their own back yard.
To be fair to fran kirby it was the england manager who started the whole mini messi thing and I think he's done her no favours. She was terrible last night and rightly hooked. And agreed the shape was a lot better when she went off.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2021 - 01:08 PM