Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turned out nice again!, Worth a flashback
Charlie Lambert
post Aug 24 2016, 11:06 AM
Post #1

YTS Trainee

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 806

Just came across this piece that I wrote for the programme in our first season as a fan-owned club. Thought it was worth posting as a reminder of how far we have come and where we were coming from....and also to pose the question, have the FA learned anything from the example of the previous CCFC?

Chester FC programme v Prescot Cables Oct 2 2010

It’s turned out nice again!

By Charlie Lambert

I was on my way to Chester thinking I had probably made a bad call. It was August last year and I’d been asked by Peter Mitchell, chairman of the Independent Supporters Association, to chair a public meeting about the future of the club.

I reckoned I was probably on a hiding to nothing. A bit like Roy Hodgson taking over at Anfield. Either the meeting would be a non event because of widespread apathy. Or it would degenerate into a shouting match.

In fact, neither of those scenarios occurred. That meeting at the Divas Showbar was standing room only and the overwhelming mood was positive. It was uplifting to be part of an occasion when so many people demonstrated how much this football club meant to them – and wanted to do something constructive.

A lot has happened since then. The set-up that steered us to the quadruple – relegation, administration, expulsion and extinction – has been removed. My pal David Conn summed it up well in the Guardian. “The end for the Chester regime came when the fans got mad as hell and decided they just weren’t taking it any more.”

Since then, it has become a fabulous time to be associated with football in Chester. Not many generations of football fans have the chance to be part of the creation of a club. What we are seeing now is a tremendously positive period in the history of professional sport in the city. We are all key players in this, whether we serve on the board, contribute sponsorship, buy loan notes, support the lottery, belong to CFU, purchase merchandise or simply pay to go to a game.

The fact that this comes on the heels of the most negative era in our history makes it even more exciting.

The word “club” has become the most abused term in the dictionary, when it comes to professional football. It suggests an organisation in which mutual contributions lead to mutual benefits, but at the top of the football pyramid that is laughably untrue. To the Gilletts, Hicks and Glazers of this world the supporter is a customer and that is the end of it. At CFC we now have a genuine club. Far down the football pyramid we may be, but we have something that few Premier League clubs, if any, can match.

Equally positive is the football our team is playing. I have really enjoyed the matches so far. Some of the football has been the most entertaining since that brief purple patch under Keith Curle. The fitness levels are amazing for a part-time squad. And the commitment is equally impressive. At Bamber Bridge a couple of weeks ago the lads were still chasing every ball when we were winning 5-0 with five minutes to go!

We’ve all learned a lot since that meeting at the Divas Showbar. It would be nice to think that the football authorities have taken some of those lessons on board too. Clubs should not have to go through what we experienced. The FA should insist that each club holds an AGM every year, instead of letting years go by without one. They should send an observer to every AGM of a full-time club and they should monitor clubs’ accounts. That will make it much harder for owners and directors to run clubs into the gutter. If a club still gets into difficulties, the appointment of administrators should be approved by the FA.

Happily for Chester FC, such worries are in the past. As for the future, I can hardly wait to see what happens next.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Aug 24 2016, 11:26 AM
Post #2

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 11

Great piece Charlie, and one that rings as true today as ever. I look at clubs like Boreham Wood, Forest Green and AFC Fylde and just know that these are the Rushden and Diamonds of the future. We all moan, me more than most, about things that we don't agree with done at CFC, and about some things that aren't done, but by God I wouldn't go back to being the begging bowl at the masters table trod upon supporters of the past.

When the game was up for Vaughan, when the young lads invaded the pitch, when the players and coach companies refused to extend goodwill and credit, it was frightening. We had no club at all to hand on to the next generation. For all its problems, for all its foibles and arguments/discussions, Chester FC is ours. All of ours, anyone who goes to games or not, member or not, doom merchant or happy clapper etc etc. It is ours, and is all the better for it.

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Aug 24 2016, 12:28 PM
Post #3

Club Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (NWAS @ Aug 24 2016, 12:26 PM) *
Great piece Charlie, and one that rings as true today as ever. I look at clubs like Boreham Wood, Forest Green and AFC Fylde and just know that these are the Rushden and Diamonds of the future. We all moan, me more than most, about things that we don't agree with done at CFC, and about some things that aren't done, but by God I wouldn't go back to being the begging bowl at the masters table trod upon supporters of the past.

When the game was up for Vaughan, when the young lads invaded the pitch, when the players and coach companies refused to extend goodwill and credit, it was frightening. We had no club at all to hand on to the next generation. For all its problems, for all its foibles and arguments/discussions, Chester FC is ours. All of ours, anyone who goes to games or not, member or not, doom merchant or happy clapper etc etc. It is ours, and is all the better for it.

Good read Charlie, of course Mark, myself and Peter Mitchell were part of a group who would meet at the the Watergate Pub to set up the CFU.
Peter is of course, now on the committee of the Senior Blues, in fact, the pair of us were first two to get it started on Marks invitation, and here we are six years on still going strong, and this season looks like it will the SBs busiest.
I agree with Mark that we must never go back to having a "sugar daddy", for all its faults, and it's not perfect, but we are still in charge, and not in hock to anybody.
We have had Charlie as a speaker at the SBs and very good he was to, and I'm sure we will have him back.
I don't know whether there is anybody on here who remembers Charlie giving a talk to the " 200 Club" at Sealand Road in the days of Trevor Ray?

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Yin
post Aug 24 2016, 01:39 PM
Post #4

Squad player

Member No.: 10837

Great article Charlie and very important to keep reminding ourselves how lucky as fans we are to have a club to support.
Would be good to keep to topic though i guess.

+Quote Post
Richard
post Aug 24 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #5

1st team regular

Member No.: 3477

Brilliant post Mark
I shiver when people say the model doesn't work. It does and we are indeed all the better for it

This post has been edited by Richard: Aug 24 2016, 04:02 PM

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Aug 24 2016, 06:49 PM
Post #6

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

QUOTE (Richard @ Aug 24 2016, 05:01 PM) *

Brilliant post Mark
I shiver when people say the model doesn't work. It does and we are indeed all the better for it

You are right, the model does work in that we should have a club to support for the foreseeable future. Equally it has to be said that the model also means that our future is in this league or the one below.

As a fan owned club with poor gates, promotion to the league is a pipe dream and some will be quite happy to stay non league provided we keep the current model. Conversely there are those who would welcome outside investment and the associated risks, if it meant we could achieve and maintain league status.

I can see both sides, it is good to know we are living within our means but I don't half miss league football, especially those heady days when we were challenging for promotion to what is now the championship.

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Aug 24 2016, 11:48 PM
Post #7

1st team regular

Member No.: 3174

QUOTE (Billy W @ Aug 24 2016, 07:49 PM) *

Brilliant post Mark

You are right, the model does work in that we should have a club to support for the foreseeable future. Equally it has to be said that the model also means that our future is in this league or the one below.

As a fan owned club with poor gates, promotion to the league is a pipe dream and some will be quite happy to stay non league provided we keep the current model. Conversely there are those who would welcome outside investment and the associated risks, if it meant we could achieve and maintain league status.

I can see both sides, it is good to know we are living within our means but I don't half miss league football, especially those heady days when we were challenging for promotion to what is now the championship.

Good points. So what would it take for us to attain & maintain league status under the current model? Just increased attendances? I.e. more money?

If that's the case then the club needs to make increasing the attendances their top priority (if it isn't already).

I think it's expensive for the floating fan & it's not brilliant football at the moment either. For me (I know this has been said before) it's getting the kids to bug their parents to be brought down that's key. Getting the players going into schools etc is great, as are parent & child, family tickets but I think they need to feel that CFC is THEIR club. We need to foster an internal association between the average Cestrian & CFC.

+Quote Post
JamesDee
post Aug 25 2016, 03:06 AM
Post #8

JamesDee

Member No.: 3729

QUOTE (stortfordblue @ Aug 25 2016, 09:18 AM) *

Brilliant post Mark

Good points. So what would it take for us to attain & maintain league status under the current model? Just increased attendances? I.e. more money?

If that's the case then the club needs to make increasing the attendances their top priority (if it isn't already).

I think it's expensive for the floating fan & it's not brilliant football at the moment either. For me (I know this has been said before) it's getting the kids to bug their parents to be brought down that's key. Getting the players going into schools etc is great, as are parent & child, family tickets but I think they need to feel that CFC is THEIR club. We need to foster an internal association between the average Cestrian & CFC.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. It is the vital long term view - tomorrow's CFU and our CFC are today's local children.

+Quote Post
JamesDee
post Aug 25 2016, 03:20 AM
Post #9

JamesDee

Member No.: 3729

QUOTE (Billy W @ Aug 25 2016, 04:19 AM) *

Brilliant post Mark

"promotion to the league is a pipe dream". I agree but would it not be great to have the occasional match with higher level teams such as Northampton and Accrington have had and with WINS and now play in the next round? Think of us against Barnsley last year. These occasions could and should be our future high points of the year for us - as well as bringing in extra unplanned funds.

+Quote Post
Burrfect
post Aug 25 2016, 08:14 AM
Post #10

Squad player

Member No.: 11919

QUOTE (stortfordblue @ Aug 25 2016, 12:48 AM) *

Brilliant post Mark

If just increasing attendances would keep us in the football league why is it that big well supported teams like Luton Bristol Rovers and Tranmere drop into this league, and struggle to get back out. The trouble with attracting floating fans is that if we got promoted and then started to struggle they would disappear as quick as they appeared, getting young kids involved with the club is the answer.

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Aug 25 2016, 11:52 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Burrfect @ Aug 25 2016, 09:14 AM) *

Brilliant post Mark

If just increasing attendances would keep us in the football league why is it that big well supported teams like Luton Bristol Rovers and Tranmere drop into this league, and struggle to get back out. The trouble with attracting floating fans is that if we got promoted and then started to struggle they would disappear as quick as they appeared, getting young kids involved with the club is the answer.

Those three clubs were run terribly on their respective dramatic slides down the leagues and into the Conference. Our model can safeguard against something similar happening to us.

A great initial article and some excellent responses to it in this thread. The club is doing an awful lot right but will always have more to do. Our attendances so far this season have been alarming, and although we are making in-roads into the community with Jim Green's excellent work, little appears to being done of an immediate nature to address that particular issue. There's the larger issue of the feeling that we are just another middle of the road football club plodding along now and are no different to any other club aside from who sits in the boardroom and how they get there, but that's being debated constantly on these and other forums.

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Aug 25 2016, 01:03 PM
Post #12

1st team regular

QUOTE (Mancot Blue @ Aug 25 2016, 12:52 PM) *
QUOTE (Burrfect @ Aug 25 2016, 09:14 AM) *

Brilliant post Mark

Those three clubs were run terribly on their respective dramatic slides down the leagues and into the Conference. Our model can safeguard against something similar happening to us.

A great initial article and some excellent responses to it in this thread. The club is doing an awful lot right but will always have more to do. Our attendances so far this season have been alarming, and although we are making in-roads into the community with Jim Green's excellent work, little appears to being done of an immediate nature to address that particular issue. There's the larger issue of the feeling that we are just another middle of the road football club plodding along now and are no different to any other club aside from who sits in the boardroom and how they get there, but that's being debated constantly on these and other forums.

So how do we go about fostering this association? I'd suggest using the links we have in place already, promotions in the Chronicle, a city centre presence in terms of the rumoured retail outlet but also advertising, what about on the side of local buses?

I'm sure at least some of these have been suggested before.

+Quote Post
Mancot Blue
post Aug 25 2016, 02:21 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 173

Indeed they have. Do they need to be suggested in a more formal way? This goes back to the club not recognising Deva Chat. I would be interested to see an update from Johnny Hughes, our board member in charge of the Commercial and Marketing, portfolio at a future CFU meeting. What are our objectives and targets in this portfolio? Are we meeting them? If not (and it appears not from the outside at present - only advertising to current service users via social media etc), why not?

+Quote Post
stortfordblue
post Aug 25 2016, 02:26 PM
Post #14

1st team regular

QUOTE (Mancot Blue @ Aug 25 2016, 03:21 PM) *
Indeed they have. Do they need to be suggested in a more formal way? This goes back to the club not recognising Deva Chat. I would be interested to see an update from Johnny Hughes, our board member in charge of the Commercial and Marketing, portfolio at a future CFU meeting. What are our objectives and targets in this portfolio? Are we meeting them? If not (and it appears not from the outside at present - only advertising to current service users via social media etc), why not?

Yeah I'd be very interested to hear. We keep being told that we're restricted by our budget which is fine if it means we're living within our means & ensuring the club is sustainable but surely we need to be exploring as many avenues as possible to expand both the fanbase & revenue streams.

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Aug 26 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #15

1st team captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2156

Just watching the North West news and noticed that Warrington RFC shirts sure emblazoned with 'University of Chester' motifs. As the University seems to be taking over this city, has any approach been made to them to sponsor us in a similar fashion?

+Quote Post
ANDERS
post Aug 26 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #16

Swedish Midfield Dynamo

Member No.: 2647

Family Zone tickets in the West Stand - LINK

It's a start but not much of a saving or enticement, if an Adult brings a Child then they save three quid basically, or getting in to the seated section for standing price is another way of looking at it.

Getting kids in to the ground is definitely the way to go though, Adults are pretty much set in their ways and have their hobbies and interests which they keep to. One thing I've noticed is often a number of kids walking out of Goals, next door at like 2.30pm and heading back up Bumpers Lane towards Town or the Greyhound Park whilst the masses biggrin.gif are heading the other way towards the Deva. They obviously like Football, seems like a missed opportunity to me. Could the club look to some sort of tie in with them?

--------------------
"We were lucky then, it's a good job he's sh*te!"

+Quote Post
BAZCON
post Aug 27 2016, 05:22 AM
Post #17

Bazcon

Member No.: 4231

Another way of getting people down to the ground is to get a regular bus service to bumpers lane from the town hall,this used to work in the past and Iam sure it would again it's something that could be used on a trial basis to see if there was an increase in attendance.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Aug 27 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #18

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (BAZCON @ Aug 27 2016, 06:22 AM) *
Another way of getting people down to the ground is to get a regular bus service to bumpers lane from the town hall,this used to work in the past and Iam sure it would again it's something that could be used on a trial basis to see if there was an increase in attendance.

It's a good idea but it can take as long to drive from the town centre to the ground as it does to walk it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th July 2020 - 08:53 AM