deva feva
post Nov 27 2013, 11:16 AM
Post #1

1st team regular

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 2508

It sounds like make your mind up time for NY. From the Leader

http://www.chesterfirst.co.uk/news/128587/...ur-untrue-.aspx

Durkin also revealed that Blues boss Neil Young was currently in talks with his employers Merseyrail.

He added: “Neil is on a sabbatical at the moment, but he has been having ongoing talks with Merseyrail because they need to know whether to fill his position or keep it open for him in case he wants to return.”

--------------------
The pheonix is rising!!![color="#4169E1"][/color]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rimmersring
post Nov 27 2013, 12:53 PM
Post #2

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 10799

QUOTE (deva feva @ Nov 27 2013, 11:16 AM) *

Durkin also revealed that Blues boss Neil Young was currently in talks with his employers Merseyrail.

He added: “Neil is on a sabbatical at the moment, but he has been having ongoing talks with Merseyrail because they need to know whether to fill his position or keep it open for him in case he wants to return.”

well, i think that tells its own story...

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Nov 27 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

by my way of reading it looks like merseyrail are pushing for answers but in my opinion N/Y would be mad to turn his hand in with merseyrail because of the nature of football management it would be a very risky thing to do. So on of three things will happen.

1 ) He goes back to merseyrail and stays here part time.
2 ) He stays here full time and gives up the job at merseyrail.
3 ) He goes back to merseyrail and leaves to go to another club lower down the leagues.
My feeling is that it will be option 3.

This post has been edited by waggoner: Nov 27 2013, 01:25 PM

+Quote Post
1midfield genera...
post Nov 27 2013, 01:30 PM
Post #4

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 8334

Not sure Jim Harvey is any improvement on Neil Young. Stylebridge were soundly beaten in both games last season.

+Quote Post
The Colonel
post Nov 27 2013, 01:31 PM
Post #5

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4808

If he goes back to Merseyrail he will be free of all the back biteing and moaning he has had to putup with, I hope he stays with us and takes us up-----allin good time . cityscarf.gif bowdown.gif

+Quote Post
deva feva
post Nov 27 2013, 01:33 PM
Post #6

1st team regular

Member No.: 2508

QUOTE (waggoner @ Nov 27 2013, 01:24 PM) *

by my way of reading it looks like merseyrail are pushing for answers but in my opinion N/Y would be mad to turn his hand in with merseyrail because of the nature of football management it would be a very risky thing to do. So on of three things will happen.

3 ) He goes back to merseyrail and leaves to go to another club lower down the leagues.

Tony Durkin's words hardly sound like a ringing endorsement for Neil Young.

--------------------
The pheonix is rising!!![color="#4169E1"][/color]

+Quote Post
BAZCON
post Nov 27 2013, 01:40 PM
Post #7

Bazcon

Member No.: 4231

My feelings too i unfortunately feel Neil has had a culture shock and under estimated the leap forward to Skrill Prem from North i am sure he is feeling the pressures of
our present situation and to be fare does not need the hassle, he has done a fantastic job since our reincarnation possibly better than an other but i feel his level has been
achieved, i feel option 3 is his best option before the supporters turn on him because of our current position in the league he would go on good terms with our public retaining
his legend status as he has deservedly.

+Quote Post
dr jekyll
post Nov 27 2013, 01:40 PM
Post #8

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 5322

QUOTE (1midfield general @ Nov 27 2013, 01:30 PM) *
Not sure Jim Harvey is any improvement on Neil Young. Stylebridge were soundly beaten in both games last season.

You didn't go to watch Chester when we played Morcambe ?

--------------------
George Whitebread I like What i Say !! and ill say what i bloody well like!!

Rule Britannia ! My country Long Before England Wales and Scotland were invented !!!!

"DEVA" The Capital of Britannia ! Capital of the universe!!

"Chester Fan Born and bred Strong in Mind Good in Bed"

Dr Jekyll is and always has been Mike Hunt!

Why I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those meddling Posters on here!!

+Quote Post
jack
post Nov 27 2013, 01:54 PM
Post #9

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3692

I think it'd be a major blow if we lose NY. There's a minority of people who seem to think his success is some kind of fluke, but the man has worked miracles.

Put it this way, we won't get a more commited manager. I hope Tony Durkin is bending over backwards to keep him here.

+Quote Post
Marg
post Nov 27 2013, 01:56 PM
Post #10

Squad player

Member No.: 11157

QUOTE (The Colonel @ Nov 27 2013, 01:31 PM) *
If he goes back to Merseyrail he will be free of all the back biteing and moaning he has had to putup with, I hope he stays with us and takes us up-----allin good time . cityscarf.gif bowdown.gif

You obviously have never worked for Merseyrail biggrin.gif Yes I have.

+Quote Post
guardian angel
post Nov 27 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #11

Youth team

Member No.: 4340

IMO Neil Young is out of his depth at this level and if we continue with him and things don't improve then the supporters will turn on him which would be a real shame conidering how well he has done for us.
Apart from a couple of exceptions the football we are playing is dire, plenty of effort but in the main totally boring.
Playing one up front particularly at home wins nothing, leaves the fans frustrated and in the end a good number will say why bother.
It wouldn't be so bad if we could see some progress but we haven't all we hear is we need this or that player who will make all the difference. That might be true but we haven't got a bottomless pit of money that will get worse if gates don't hold up.
IMO if we can't afford to pay NY off then we should inform him that his contact will not be renewed so that he can go back to Merseyrail at the end of his contract.
In the meantime he would carry on and retain his creditilty, something that at the moment is rapidly disappearing

+Quote Post
shunter blue
post Nov 27 2013, 03:24 PM
Post #12

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 9054

I will support whatever decision Neil takes and I personally hope he's here for a minimum of 5 seasons whatever league we're in next season.

The point that I'd like to make is that I feel we owe a massive vote of thanks to Merseyrail for all the assistance we've recieved from them in relation to all the consessions they've made with Neil's working conditions and the flexibility with his contract.

+Quote Post
BLUE CAMP
post Nov 27 2013, 03:46 PM
Post #13

ONLY IN THE DICTIONARY DOES SUCCESS COME BEFORE WORK

Member No.: 1849

QUOTE (jack @ Nov 27 2013, 01:54 PM) *
I think it'd be a major blow if we lose NY. There's a minority of people who seem to think his success is some kind of fluke, but the man has worked miracles.

Put it this way, we won't get a more commited manager. I hope Tony Durkin is bending over backwards to keep him here.

Couldn't agree more.

--------------------
60 YEARS OF LOYAL SUPPORT
ONCE A BLUE ALWAYS A BLUE.

+Quote Post
The Colonel
post Nov 27 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #14

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4808

Agree 100% Harveys a nice chap but I dont think harvey or any other prospect could put more into CFC than Neil has . bowdown.gif cityscarf.gif

+Quote Post
Billy W
post Nov 27 2013, 04:02 PM
Post #15

1st team captain
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2156

Agreed. I think he could remain here part-time and still be able to function but this season has surely come as a culture shock to him. With a decent job to fall back on, I can't see why he would want to put himself and his family through the pressures abuse and job insecurity which comes to a manager of a struggling football club.
It must seem far more attractive to him to return to Merseyrail and become a part-time manager at a club which doesn't have the same aspirations, expectations and pressures as at Chester.

+Quote Post
Fathead The Glad...
post Nov 27 2013, 04:21 PM
Post #16

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1749

I think this article is very unhelpful at this time, and the questions obviously put to T Durkin should have been batted off with a 'no comment'. Whatever is going on behind the scenes this is more dirty (perhaps only lightly soiled) washing being aired in public, can only have an unsettling effect on those concerned.

--------------------
North Wales Chester FC Supporters Group

+Quote Post
rimmersring
post Nov 27 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #17

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 10799

QUOTE (guardian angel @ Nov 27 2013, 02:28 PM) *
IMO Neil Young is out of his depth at this level and if we continue with him and things don't improve then the supporters will turn on him which would be a real shame conidering how well he has done for us.
Apart from a couple of exceptions the football we are playing is dire, plenty of effort but in the main totally boring.
Playing one up front particularly at home wins nothing, leaves the fans frustrated and in the end a good number will say why bother.
It wouldn't be so bad if we could see some progress but we haven't all we hear is we need this or that player who will make all the difference. That might be true but we haven't got a bottomless pit of money that will get worse if gates don't hold up.
IMO if we can't afford to pay NY off then we should inform him that his contact will not be renewed so that he can go back to Merseyrail at the end of his contract.
In the meantime he would carry on and retain his creditilty, something that at the moment is rapidly disappearing

2 cups and 3 title wins...and he's out of his depth!!!...i wonder if Morrell felt that going straight from playing football to manager, NY's on the first rung of the ladder in football management...would you go back to mersey rail?

+Quote Post
waggoner
post Nov 27 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #18

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 3538

QUOTE (Fathead The Gladiator @ Nov 27 2013, 04:21 PM) *
I think this article is very unhelpful at this time, and the questions obviously put to T Durkin should have been batted off with a 'no comment'. Whatever is going on behind the scenes this is more dirty (perhaps only lightly soiled) washing being aired in public, can only have an unsettling effect on those concerned.

I have a feeling that something IS going on and some issues may have been already decided regarding the management of the team. And I agree that the article should not have been done because it just causes speculation

+Quote Post
tom - chesterr
post Nov 27 2013, 05:02 PM
Post #19

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4398

Hope he stays. If he becomes part time though it may create a problem if we go full time in couple of years.

--------------------
The future is bright, the future is blue and white!

+Quote Post
Derry Exile
post Nov 27 2013, 07:19 PM
Post #20

I'm not Irish!

Member No.: 1413

QUOTE (rimmersring @ Nov 27 2013, 04:54 PM) *

2 cups and 3 title wins...and he's out of his depth!!!...i wonder if Morrell felt that going straight from playing football to manager, NY's on the first rung of the ladder in football management...would you go back to mersey rail?

There are a number of factors to consider though, if that was myself and I was in the same position as NY then personally I think it would be daft to pack in a well paid secure job to risk it all in football management where I could be sacked after a run of defeats. How do you pay the bills and support your family then?

I cannot see us being able to financially support full time football anytime soon, given the amount of issues we seem to have off the field, and the losses we've made as a part-time side!

The best scenario is for NY to remain but as part-time, that's if he wants to stay here and build us up into an established Conference Premier side. If he choses to move on to suit his family and his job then the very best of luck to him.

--------------------
"Derry Exile, he speaks for the Nation!" - Elwood P Dowd 24/11/07

+Quote Post
nicksonmatt
post Nov 27 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #21

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1289

I've thought for a while now that NY will return to his Merseyrail job at the end of the season no matter what happens. It's simply job security and as he can see on here after every defeat, football management is a tricky / risky choice of career.

--------------------
Chester F.C established 21st May 2010.

+Quote Post
Che Guevara
post Nov 27 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #22

Castra Devana

Member No.: 1198

QUOTE (Derry Exile @ Nov 27 2013, 07:19 PM) *
QUOTE (rimmersring @ Nov 27 2013, 04:54 PM) *

There are a number of factors to consider though, if that was myself and I was in the same position as NY then personally I think it would be daft to pack in a well paid secure job to risk it all in football management where I could be sacked after a run of defeats. How do you pay the bills and support your family then?

I cannot see us being able to financially support full time football anytime soon, given the amount of issues we seem to have off the field, and the losses we've made as a part-time side!

The best scenario is for NY to remain but as part-time, that's if he wants to stay here and build us up into an established Conference Premier side. If he choses to move on to suit his family and his job then the very best of luck to him.

It certainly makes sense, frees up cash to spend on the team as well.

--------------------
Neil Young: You WERE the caretaker here.

Harry McNally: I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but YOU are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know Sir - I've always been here.

+Quote Post
Midnight Rider
post Nov 27 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #23

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4093

There are some timid souls on here. You can't spend your life playing it safe - at some point in your life you have to roll the dice.
Who knows where a successful managerial career could take him? The sky's the limit. Quitting and going back to Merseyrail would lead to a life of what-ifs and regret.

This post has been edited by Midnight Rider: Nov 27 2013, 08:32 PM

--------------------
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” - Teddy Roosevelt.

+Quote Post
Deva Chanter
post Nov 27 2013, 08:35 PM
Post #24

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4436

QUOTE (Midnight Rider @ Nov 27 2013, 08:31 PM) *
There are some timid souls on here. You can't spend your life playing it safe - at some point in your life you have to roll the dice.
Who knows where a successful managerial career could take him? The sky's the limit. Quitting and going back to Merseyrail would lead to a life of what-ifs and regret.

Agree with you. If I was Neil I'd be telling Merseyrail in the nicest possible way where to go.

--------------------
The first casualty of war is the truth.

+Quote Post
sunshine blue
post Nov 27 2013, 08:37 PM
Post #25

1st team sub

Member No.: 10731

QUOTE (waggoner @ Nov 27 2013, 04:54 PM) *
QUOTE (Fathead The Gladiator @ Nov 27 2013, 04:21 PM) *

I have a feeling that something IS going on and some issues may have been already decided regarding the management of the team. And I agree that the article should not have been done because it just causes speculation

I agree - Don't believe that Durkin is a good friend of Harvey. Heard a couple of weeks ago that the Board wanted rid of Young after the Braintree game but we can't afford to pay him off - might not be true but my son got told it by a friend of Youngies he works with on the Wirral

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th April 2021 - 11:36 AM