Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Rio Doherty
post Mar 26 2019, 07:31 AM
Post #1

Rio Doherty

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 12774

We will be back on the road tomorrow evening where we travel to County Durham to take on Darlington away, where we look to get back on track following our 12th blank Saturday of the season. Also, we will be returning to the North East which certainly hasn’t been our happy hunting ground in recent times. However, if we are to put those woes (along with our general away day woes) out of the window then we have to do it fast.

This fixture was postponed a couple of weeks ago due to a waterlogged pitch, so this gives us an opportunity to gain ground on other teams. We are now reaching crunch times with a cluster of vital games coming up thick and fast over the next few weeks. It has been 2 1/2 weeks since we were last in action, and although that could give us a boost fitness-wise, I sincerely hope that we will have the nous to deal with our packed upcoming fixture list. A few weeks ago I was feeling downbeat regarding our play-off hopes, but results elsewhere haven’t been too bad lately which still gives us a chance. We have two games in hand which gives us an advantage as we’re still 5 points behind 7th place, so if we can get as many points as we can then who knows.

Darlington have had a difficult season as they have spent most of it in the bottom half, although they are coming into this on the back of a 2-1 win at Nuneaton Borough. I’m sure they will make things tough for us as they aren’t out of the woods just yet, so will be wanting to get a couple of wins to ensure their survival. Also, our opponents will have learnt a lot from our deserved 3-1 win back in December so will be a tough nut to crack. This used to be a regular fixture back in our Football League days, but sadly a lot has changed since then. In 2010 we went out of business, and just a few years later Darlington folded as well. Then, in 2012 they reformed under the name of Darlington 1883 (although since then they have reverted back to Darlington FC), and immediately got a couple of promotions to return to the National League North. During 2012-16 Darlington had to groundshare with Bishop Auckland, but in 2016 they moved back into the town where they now play their games at Blackwell Meadows. Compared to Feethams and the Darlington Arena, Blackwell Meadows is somewhat of a dump due to Darlo groundsharing with Darlington Rugby Club, hence it doesn’t really look like a football ground. To their credit Darlington have built a couple of stands to improve the ground, but Blackwell Meadows is nothing like their previous homes.

We must come back with all 3 points to narrow the gap between us and the top 7. Draws just aren’t enough as this is the time of the season where everything matters. In the second half against Leamington we played okay, but we spent too much time dilly-dallying with the ball to eventually come out with two dropped points. Hopefully we will come up with a different game plan tomorrow to put us in a good position. Come On You Blues!

Score: Darlington 1-2 Chester FC (McKenna, Asante)
Attendance: 1,125 (91 Chester FC)

My predicted lineup:
Shenton
Jackson Howson Livesey Grand
McKenna Roberts McAllister Mahon
Asante Dudley

COYB!

This post has been edited by Rio Doherty: Mar 26 2019, 07:34 AM

--------------------
Once A Blue, Always A Blue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Mar 27 2019, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Rio Doherty

Chester FC Team:
Grant Shenton

Bradley Jackson
Danny Livesey
Simon Grand
Matty Waters

Ben McKenna
Gary Roberts
Sean McAllister
Craig Mahon

Akwasi Asante
Anthony Dudley

Substitutes:
Steve Howson
Dan Mooney
Iwan Murray
George Waring
Lloyd Marsh-Hughes

COYB!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Mar 27 2019, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Rio Doherty

For those of you who can’t attend tonight’s game, such as myself, then you can listen to it on Seals Live or Darlo Fans Radio:
http://mixlr.com/chesterfc/

http://mixlr.com/darlofans-radio/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Mar 27 2019, 07:42 PM
Post #4

Rio Doherty

I am doing a live watch-along stream on YouTube where I will be talking about tonight’s match plus more:
https://youtu.be/Zjp3aL9PF8U

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Mar 27 2019, 08:28 PM
Post #5

Rio Doherty

Darlington 0-1 Chester FC:- Simon Grand. COYB! 🔵⚪️.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Mar 27 2019, 08:45 PM
Post #6

Rio Doherty

Half time Darlington 0-1 Chester FC. So far so good with Simon Grand notching home. Massive second half ahead and we must do everything to come home with all 3 points now. COYB!
My live stream:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Mar 27 2019, 11:30 PM
Post #7

Rio Doherty

A much-needed victory which gives us hope again. AFC Telford’s win last night extended the gap even further, but with us banishing our North East curse we are back in it again. By the sounds of things it wasn’t an inspiring spectacle, but we managed to dig deep to grind out a clean sheet. Grant Shenton has had a number of critics but fair play to him for stepping up tonight as apparently he made a few top drawer saves to preserve our lead.

We seemed to put on a solid showing in an otherwise flat first half. Akwasi Asante had a shot blocked early doors before Danny Livesey was called into action by making a couple of good defensive blocks. Ben McKenna then had a shot which went wide following a good move. However, Grant Shenton made a superb save as he palmed Simon Ainge’s header onto the crossbar. A deflected shot by Matty Waters didn’t trouble Darlington’s ‘keeper, but Simon Grand put us ahead as he headed home from a tight angle, following from what I believe was a really good free kick. Grand’s goal gave us the perfect advantage going into the break.

I believe the second half was a bit more livelier, but we had to deal with a lot of pressure to see out the game. The hosts had a few chances as a shot went wide, whilst Simon Grand almost scored an own goal as he headed the ball towards the net. We battled really well though to grind out a fantastic win which gives us a lot of confidence ahead of a very tough game on Saturday.

Out of our remaining 7 fixtures you can argue this will be the toughest, but already at home this season we have beaten a lot of fun the top sides. Also, we were the first team to stop Chorley from scoring back in September, so shouldn’t have anything to be worried about. From a mental point of view I would rather be the chaser than be chased. We can still do this. All we have to do is believe. Finally, thank you to everybody who joined in my live stream tonight which was enjoyable. You can watch it in full here:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rio Doherty
post Mar 28 2019, 10:03 PM
Post #8

Rio Doherty

Match highlights:
https://youtu.be/n2UITErBOvg

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th July 2020 - 08:36 AM