> the positive forum, we love you macca on the positive forum
EltonblueS
post Mar 30 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #1

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Group: DC Admin
Member No.: 8970

ill be leaving the house Saturday morning, about 6 am catchin the train to Torquay (100 quid) few scoops on the way down and in torquay,
sing song at the game, train home back in the house about midnight, if we win great, if we play well and draw that's fine,
if were s**t and play miserably against a lower placed team, I am probably more likely to post something over on the other channel ( the negative forum )
: :guiness:biggrin:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Mar 30 2017, 09:42 PM
Post #2

Club Director
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 2595

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Mar 30 2017, 08:13 PM) *
ill be leaving the house Saturday morning, about 6 am catchin the train to Torquay (100 quid) few scoops on the way down and in torquay,
sing song at the game, train home back in the house about midnight, if we win great, if we play well and draw that's fine,
if were s**t and play miserably against a lower placed team, I am probably more likely to post something over on the other channel ( the negative forum )
: :guiness:biggrin:

Macca is doing the best he can with the hand he's been given.

--------------------
NEIL FISHER I AM NOT WORTHY

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Mar 30 2017, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1207

I read the article on the Chronicle website and assume the "new place" is pretty negative. Not surprising given the recent run of form and the tendency for posters to be negative whenever they can! Not sure he should have said anything in public, but probably best to tell the youngsters on the team to ignore all social, or in this case maybe unsocial, media.

One of the things that has become more and more common is that the negatives almost always outweigh the positives in any discussion nowadays, we are all experts who think we know better than anybody else!

--------------------
Posting from the Great White North

+Quote Post
3mm
post Mar 31 2017, 09:07 AM
Post #4

Lifelong supporter
Group Icon

Member No.: 91

There's an old saying "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Just shows there's an exception to every rule. It's actually a pain reading the new forum these days, trying to pick out the decent bits from all the dross. So many obvious trolls and guests on there, it's no wonder Macca has lashed out at them in the press. The new forum shouldn't be called "Devachat" anyway, because it isn't. THIS website is Devachat and it shouldn't be tarred by the brush from the other one. Big Si should come up with something different to define the new website as a completely separate entity.

Another thing, this site needs to sort itself out regarding the criticisms which caused the new one to be set up. I haven't noticed any changes here at all, will there ever be any?

--------------------
On match days ... we ALL play!

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Mar 31 2017, 10:16 AM
Post #5

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

I don't think the new forum is overwhelmingly negative and I still think it's better than this one, to be honest, but guest posting has got to go I think! It just doesn't work and gives people an excuse to post any old crap with no repercussions at all. Some people even seem to take an established name of a member and 'guest post' using it, which I think is pretty low personally.

Macca has done himself any favours with those comments really. The problem with forums is if you just scroll down them, the threads can just seem like a succession of whinges, but it's important to remember that all the thread titles are is one person's introduction. The threads themselves are likely to contain a mixture of ideas and viewpoints.

Macca is asking that if anybody is being overly negative or positive, other users should pick them up on it, but if he reads actual threads rather than just their titles, I think he'll find that that's invariably what people are doing. Positive or negative, it's very rare that someone starts a thread without being challenged on it at all.

+Quote Post
EltonblueS
post Mar 31 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #6

1st team stalwart
Group Icon

Member No.: 8970

agree with all the above, but if this forum is to survive somebody will need to take over the admin roll and allow new posters to enrol,
if this doesn't happen im afraid this forum is doomed, so I suppose the question is how does anyone become an administrator of this forum

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Mar 31 2017, 05:23 PM
Post #7

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

QUOTE (EltonblueS @ Mar 31 2017, 12:24 PM) *
agree with all the above, but if this forum is to survive somebody will need to take over the admin roll and allow new posters to enrol,
if this doesn't happen im afraid this forum is doomed, so I suppose the question is how does anyone become an administrator of this forum

The moderators have no idea though we have asked!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Churton Blue
post Mar 31 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #8

Squad player

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 4879

QUOTE (XWWB @ Mar 31 2017, 10:16 AM) *
I don't think the new forum is overwhelmingly negative and I still think it's better than this one, to be honest, but guest posting has got to go I think! It just doesn't work and gives people an excuse to post any old crap with no repercussions at all. Some people even seem to take an established name of a member and 'guest post' using it, which I think is pretty low personally.

Macca has done himself any favours with those comments really. The problem with forums is if you just scroll down them, the threads can just seem like a succession of whinges, but it's important to remember that all the thread titles are is one person's introduction. The threads themselves are likely to contain a mixture of ideas and viewpoints.

Macca is asking that if anybody is being overly negative or positive, other users should pick them up on it, but if he reads actual threads rather than just their titles, I think he'll find that that's invariably what people are doing. Positive or negative, it's very rare that someone starts a thread without being challenged on it at all.

I think the moderation on the other forum has improved a lot but there is a massive problem with the guest posting and the fact that there are registered users who clearly do not support Chester FC and are having a lot of pleasure stirring things up in order to do us as much damage as possible.

Things that are not true are repeated as facts especially by guests and WUMs. Two good are examples are the 50 points in the season target and retaining all the current squad, two things that have never been said !

I know for a fact that forums have played a part in the problems at FC United and the demise of AFC Telford.

Do not get me wrong, every supporter is entitled to voice their opinion no matter how negative it is. However opinions based on falsehoods or the supporters of other clubs having fun at our expense is a dangerous mix which has the power to significantly damage our club.

I hope Krankie will allow this forum the things it needs to live on in a reasonable state and that Big Si will weed out the WUMs and get rid of the guest posters on the other forum.

I also hope that JM will never mention either forum ever again !

This post has been edited by Churton Blue: Mar 31 2017, 07:30 PM

+Quote Post
Richard
post Mar 31 2017, 07:37 PM
Post #9

1st team regular

Member No.: 3477

QUOTE (Churton Blue @ Mar 31 2017, 07:25 PM) *
QUOTE (XWWB @ Mar 31 2017, 10:16 AM) *

I think the moderation on the other forum has improved a lot but there is a massive problem with the guest posting and the fact that there are registered users who clearly do not support Chester FC and are having a lot of pleasure stirring things up in order to do us as much damage as possible.

Things that are not true are repeated as facts especially by guests and WUMs. Two good are examples are the 50 points in the season target and retaining all the current squad, two things that have never been said !

I know for a fact that forums have played a part in the problems at FC United and the demise of AFC Telford.

Do not get me wrong, every supporter is entitled to voice their opinion no matter how negative it is. However opinions based on falsehoods or the supporters of other clubs having fun at our expense is a dangerous mix which has the power to significantly damage our club.

I hope Krankie will allow this forum the things it needs to live on in a reasonable state and that Big Si will weed out the WUMs and get rid of the guest posters on the other forum.

I also hope that JM will never mention either forum ever again !

Spot on

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Apr 1 2017, 06:57 AM
Post #10

Devachat Fantasy Football Champion 09/10

Member No.: 850

Morning all, not been on here for a while, but with JMs comments in the week I thought I would see what all the fuss is about, as apparently shunter has been named as one of the culprits, as there is no shunter on the new forum it must be this place causing the commotion biggrin.gif

Ok so I have read through some of the comments on here about the new forum and I would just like to add some points.

There were many reasons why a new forum needed to be set up all set out in posts above, I won't go over old ground, you all know the issues.
What wasn't the intention was to set up a rival board, or a replacement for this place, Bigsi originally just set it up to show how easy it was, before he knew it, he had lots of people registered, so many it was difficult to not let it continue and here is the reason why it should.
New voices- we have the top poster, who is a teenager, a volunteer at the club and has Chester running through his veins, he also now has a voice, something he never had on here.
We also have another young lad who has a voice, he has used this to create a crowdfunding donation site, to try and create a better atmosphere in the ground, with people donating to buy flags, banners etc.
He also used this voice to help create a fitting tribute to Garry Allen in his banner that was displayed at the Macclesfield game.
I see the crowdfunding link has been shared on here, but has yet to receive a reply, perhaps posters on here don't want to see a better atmosphere in the ground, with the HM full of youngsters? Surely that can't be true.

There has also been a lot said about a lack of moderation on the new site, as a mod myself on there along with a couple of others, this is greatly improved now the mod controls have been switched on, there was a bit of teething trouble at first, but now I can say they have been resolved. We had some idiots posting as guests last weekend but this was quickly tidied up the next morning.
Guest postings, as Si says this will be reviewed at the end of the season, with nearly 500 users I reckon this will be disabled.

There has also been a lot said regarding the name of the forum, Devachat, the voice of the city, agree or disagree what cannot be denied is this forum is no longer the voice of the city, no new users , over zealous moderation etc.
What cannot be denied is this place was the voice of the city, and that should be applauded, and forever remembered.

So on to the positivity/ negativity argument, we have youth posting and activists fundraising, we have Anders with his terrific match reports, we have loads of posters from here contributing positively.
We also have the negative posters too, there are three or four in particular I am amazed haven't hanged themselves yet.
But in fairness, there is little abuse, foul language or vitriol, so it is allowed, it has to be if it really is the voice of the city.

So unless as has already been mentioned this place gets back to how it was, the new DC is here to stay and it will grow.
NFBF, I miss your politics, if you need help logging on let me know and I will help you.

Good luck to the blues today, hopefully a win will see the rope put back in the shed for another week.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please
Praying that we don't exist

We exist

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Apr 1 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #11

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Apr 1 2017, 07:57 AM) *
Morning all, not been on here for a while, but with JMs comments in the week I thought I would see what all the fuss is about, as apparently shunter has been named as one of the culprits, as there is no shunter on the new forum it must be this place causing the commotion biggrin.gif

Ok so I have read through some of the comments on here about the new forum and I would just like to add some points.

There were many reasons why a new forum needed to be set up all set out in posts above, I won't go over old ground, you all know the issues.
What wasn't the intention was to set up a rival board, or a replacement for this place, Bigsi originally just set it up to show how easy it was, before he knew it, he had lots of people registered, so many it was difficult to not let it continue and here is the reason why it should.
New voices- we have the top poster, who is a teenager, a volunteer at the club and has Chester running through his veins, he also now has a voice, something he never had on here.
We also have another young lad who has a voice, he has used this to create a crowdfunding donation site, to try and create a better atmosphere in the ground, with people donating to buy flags, banners etc.
He also used this voice to help create a fitting tribute to Garry Allen in his banner that was displayed at the Macclesfield game.
I see the crowdfunding link has been shared on here, but has yet to receive a reply, perhaps posters on here don't want to see a better atmosphere in the ground, with the HM full of youngsters? Surely that can't be true.

There has also been a lot said about a lack of moderation on the new site, as a mod myself on there along with a couple of others, this is greatly improved now the mod controls have been switched on, there was a bit of teething trouble at first, but now I can say they have been resolved. We had some idiots posting as guests last weekend but this was quickly tidied up the next morning.
Guest postings, as Si says this will be reviewed at the end of the season, with nearly 500 users I reckon this will be disabled.

There has also been a lot said regarding the name of the forum, Devachat, the voice of the city, agree or disagree what cannot be denied is this forum is no longer the voice of the city, no new users , over zealous moderation etc.
What cannot be denied is this place was the voice of the city, and that should be applauded, and forever remembered.

So on to the positivity/ negativity argument, we have youth posting and activists fundraising, we have Anders with his terrific match reports, we have loads of posters from here contributing positively.
We also have the negative posters too, there are three or four in particular I am amazed haven't hanged themselves yet.
But in fairness, there is little abuse, foul language or vitriol, so it is allowed, it has to be if it really is the voice of the city.

So unless as has already been mentioned this place gets back to how it was, the new DC is here to stay and it will grow.
NFBF, I miss your politics, if you need help logging on let me know and I will help you.

Good luck to the blues today, hopefully a win will see the rope put back in the shed for another week.

"NFBF I miss your politics!" Never thought I would hear that! rolleyes.gif
I quite enjoying the rest at the moment, from logging in multiple times a day to Deva Chat. I sometimes go two or three days without looking at it now.
I have just looked at the new forum, and seen a post, "Maccas lost it", alone, that's a good enough reason for me NOT to want to join the new forum, no wonder he's angry, with the budget and financial constraints, Jon has worked miracles this season, and to see people calling for his head is absolutely ridiculous, and an insult to what he achieved this season. He deserves better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Apr 1 2017, 08:40 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

I think you're demonstrating the misconception there NFBF. You're just looking at thread titles rather than their content. That's like flicking through a newspaper and reading all the headlines, but none of the articles.

The thread you mention is actually about his criticism of Devachat. Some people are saying he's losing the plot but others are sympathising with him. I think most agree though that he's been unwise to speak out of what people say on forums.

+Quote Post
Churton Blue
post Apr 1 2017, 09:26 AM
Post #13

Squad player

Member No.: 4879

QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Apr 1 2017, 06:57 AM) *

I appreciate many of the points you make and I am hopeful that Big Si and yourself will get the new forum where it needs to be. I am less hopeful that Krankie will revive this site.

Because we are a small club and fan owned internet forums will have more influence than at clubs like Manchester Utd or Liverpool. We need to be constantly aware of this and make an effort to be more positive and constructive than would otherwise be the case or I fear we will end up like AFC Telford.

Good luck to JM and the lads today and I hope Kane Richards gets a goal and sets up a couple more for James Alabi and Elliott Durrell biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Apr 1 2017, 11:21 AM
Post #14

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Churton Blue @ Apr 1 2017, 10:26 AM) *

I appreciate many of the points you make and I am hopeful that Big Si and yourself will get the new forum where it needs to be. I am less hopeful that Krankie will revive this site.

Because we are a small club and fan owned internet forums will have more influence than at clubs like Manchester Utd or Liverpool. We need to be constantly aware of this and make an effort to be more positive and constructive than would otherwise be the case or I fear we will end up like AFC Telford.

Good luck to JM and the lads today and I hope Kane Richards gets a goal and sets up a couple more for James Alabi and Elliott Durrell biggrin.gif

I'm glad to see "We need to be constantly aware of this and make an effort to be more positive and constructive.." I hope this is read and taken notice of on the other site!

--------------------

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Apr 1 2017, 12:31 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Neil Fishers Biggest Fan @ Apr 1 2017, 12:21 PM) *
QUOTE (Churton Blue @ Apr 1 2017, 10:26 AM) *

I'm glad to see "We need to be constantly aware of this and make an effort to be more positive and constructive.." I hope this is read and taken notice of on the other site!

As has been mentioned before, the criticism JM has of devachat is of THIS site, not the other one as Shunter blue is only a member of this site.
Dig deeper and you will find loads of positive things said about JM on the new forum

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please

We exist

+Quote Post
open yer eyes ma...
post Apr 1 2017, 12:42 PM
Post #16

It's also interesting you picked up on the maccas losing it thread, but didn't mention the charity hike for Garry Allen, the easy fundraising thread to raise funds for the club, the thread trying to raise funds for new banners flags etc, or the one about a communication stem from Alan Povey.
As I said lots of positive stuff on there.

--------------------
Down on their knees
Begging us please

We exist

+Quote Post
Neil Fishers Big...
post Apr 1 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #17

Club Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Apr 1 2017, 01:42 PM) *
It's also interesting you picked up on the maccas losing it thread, but didn't mention the charity hike for Garry Allen, the easy fundraising thread to raise funds for the club, the thread trying to raise funds for new banners flags etc, or the one about a communication stem from Alan Povey.
As I said lots of positive stuff on there.

No, I don't deny there are some good posts on the other forum, but the one I picked, is unfair on a manager who is working hard under difficult circumstances, and I said, doesn't deserve the criticism.
If you were to go back to the beginning of the season, most posters would've accepted us finishing, mid or just below in the table, I think that is were we will finish up.
As a previous poster has said,we need positivity at the moment to see us through to the end of the season, we have a young team lacking in confidence, let's get behind them and the manager, on both forums!

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Annexe
post Apr 1 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #18

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1471

QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Apr 1 2017, 01:31 PM) *
As has been mentioned before, the criticism JM has of devachat is of THIS site, not the other one as Shunter blue is only a member of this site.

You keep repeating this, but you might like to quote the topics where there has been recent criticism of JM on this site, paticularly those that JM might object to. There may be few postings but it's generally been well-mannered, not something that can be said about the new site.

--------------------
The difference between what I write and what I think I write is in the eye of the beholder.

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Apr 1 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #19

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

QUOTE (The Annexe @ Apr 1 2017, 03:38 PM) *
QUOTE (open yer eyes man @ Apr 1 2017, 01:31 PM) *

You keep repeating this, but you might like to quote the topics where there has been recent criticism of JM on this site, paticularly those that JM might object to. There may be few postings but it's generally been well-mannered, not something that can be said about the new site.

You are correct, but why let facts get in the way when you can cause trouble! crying.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Apr 1 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #20

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

I understand that somebody is posting under my handle on the other board. Since I have never been there it is NOT me!

Just for the record.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lincoln exile
post Apr 2 2017, 09:46 AM
Post #21

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (Canadian Exile @ Apr 1 2017, 09:10 PM) *
I understand that somebody is posting under my handle on the other board. Since I have never been there it is NOT me!

Just for the record.

So you've never been on there and someone has told you that there is someone is posting as you, were you told by someone in your local Canadian corner shop or messaged by another person who doesn't go on the other forum either. Look no one cares if you have been on the other forum. I look at both, although I go on less than I used to due to the new one being full of fans of other clubs and this one being dead as a dodo, and to be honest the sniping between the members of the two forums is childish and pathetic, you're supposed to be adults FFS.

This forum has died be of its reluctance to process new members and the other forum will fail because its reluctance to police new members, I mean the largest thread on the new forum is the one devoted to Wrexham. Thats not sniping by the way its an observation.

This club was resurrected due, in part, to support from people who post on this forum. Crowdfunder was a success due mainly to contributors from this forum. No matter what McCarthy thinks, a good, well run fans forum is essential and we haven't got one at the minute we've got two poor ones.

The best thing that could happen would be a truce. The layout of this site is far superior to the alternative site but it's an exclusive club. If Devon Blue doesn't want to run it any more then go and lets have someone in who can vet new members and why not have mods who are voted in.

I'm expecting the usual 'if you don't like it then don't read it' replies, but another few months and we'll be a fan owned club without a forum and personally I think a lively fans forum is essential when the official website is so poor and communication from the club is non existant. We're fan owned and unity is essential so please someone sort it out.

+Quote Post
JamesDee
post Apr 2 2017, 01:50 PM
Post #22

JamesDee

Member No.: 3729

QUOTE (lincoln exile @ Apr 2 2017, 08:16 PM) *
QUOTE (Canadian Exile @ Apr 1 2017, 09:10 PM) *

Just for the record.

So you've never been on there and someone has told you that there is someone is posting as you, were you told by someone in your local Canadian corner shop or messaged by another person who doesn't go on the other forum either. Look no one cares if you have been on the other forum. I look at both, although I go on less than I used to due to the new one being full of fans of other clubs and this one being dead as a dodo, and to be honest the sniping between the members of the two forums is childish and pathetic, you're supposed to be adults FFS.

This forum has died be of its reluctance to process new members and the other forum will fail because its reluctance to police new members, I mean the largest thread on the new forum is the one devoted to Wrexham. Thats not sniping by the way its an observation.

This club was resurrected due, in part, to support from people who post on this forum. Crowdfunder was a success due mainly to contributors from this forum. No matter what McCarthy thinks, a good, well run fans forum is essential and we haven't got one at the minute we've got two poor ones.

The best thing that could happen would be a truce. The layout of this site is far superior to the alternative site but it's an exclusive club. If Devon Blue doesn't want to run it any more then go and lets have someone in who can vet new members and why not have mods who are voted in.

I'm expecting the usual 'if you don't like it then don't read it' replies, but another few months and we'll be a fan owned club without a forum and personally I think a lively fans forum is essential when the official website is so poor and communication from the club is non existent. We're fan owned and unity is essential so please someone sort it out.

I agree with much of what you have written and especially the bolded sentences.

Reading above about posters making less visits these days than previously that also applies to me.

As I stated in an earlier post we now have a divided DevaChat and because there are now two sites this dilutes the contributions on both sites. We are are not a big enough club to have members split between two web sites.

Match day reports are not anything like as good as they used to be because of these split contributions - and with some long time contributors now not contributing at all when previously they did.

I understand most of the whys and wherefores for the creation of the second site, but what has not been said is that while there has been gain for some there has also been loss and that loss, in my view, is greater than the gain and is increasing to such an extent that BOTH sites will continue to suffer and both may eventually die. A sad outcome for everyone but that is where this is going. Action is now required as Lincoln Blue advises.

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Apr 2 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

To anyone saying the layout of this site is better, I presume you're only using it from a desktop computer.

This site is not mobile friendly. You have to keep zooming in and out and it's hard to press the links because they're too small. The other one is much easier to use on a mobile phone - as Google's Mobile-Friendly test shows.

This is an important factor. It means people can give us their views while at games or while on their way home from them. The majority of online traffic now comes from phones and tablets rather than desktop computers, so I'm afraid it's another example of how this forum has stagnated and not moved with the times.

+Quote Post
Canadian Exile
post Apr 2 2017, 06:04 PM
Post #24

Transatlantic member
Group Icon

QUOTE (XWWB @ Apr 2 2017, 10:05 AM) *
To anyone saying the layout of this site is better, I presume you're only using it from a desktop computer.

This site is not mobile friendly. You have to keep zooming in and out and it's hard to press the links because they're too small. The other one is much easier to use on a mobile phone - as Google's Mobile-Friendly test shows.

This is an important factor. It means people can give us their views while at games or while on their way home from them. The majority of online traffic now comes from phones and tablets rather than desktop computers, so I'm afraid it's another example of how this forum has stagnated and not moved with the times.

Rubbish, I use this on a tablet and it is fine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Apr 2 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (Canadian Exile @ Apr 2 2017, 07:04 PM) *
QUOTE (XWWB @ Apr 2 2017, 10:05 AM) *

Rubbish, I use this on a tablet and it is fine.

Fair enough, let's ignore what Google think - they're only the biggest company on the planet and the linchpin of the internet - and listen to Canadian Exile instead! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th September 2020 - 11:32 AM