Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yesterday and Recruitment this season
Charlie Lambert
post Apr 3 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #1

YTS Trainee

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 806

We started with 3 at the back - Henaghan, Hughes and Astles - with Higgins and Hunt as wing-backs, Shaw and Lloyd in front of the back three, Rooney in the hole and Hannah and Alabi up front. Our first goal came directly as a result of this formation - Higgins going strongly down the right, good cross, and Rooney arriving on schedule to put it away. Copybook stuff and all credit to Steve Burr for devising a plan which worked.

We then destroyed all that good work when a defender - Henaghan, I think - missed what looked a routine clearance, unsighting Worsnop in the process. The ball floated goalwards where another defender cleared on the line, only for the ball to hit an advancing BWood player and rebound straight back into the net.

Despite that, we should still have been able to control the game. BWood were playing 4-3-3 so with our 5 across midfield we should have been able to stretch them beyond breaking point. This didn't happen, in my view because our central trio of Shaw, Hughes and Rooney failed to establish any dominance over BW'd's midfield three.This meant that the service to the wing-backs was desperately inconsistent - passes were frequently played without pace or direction, meaning that the ball failed to reach its destination and the wing-back was left stranded upfield as BWd counter-attacked. I assume this is why Burr switched to 4-4-2 at half-time. Things weren't helped by Hannah finding that nothing went his way and by Alabi not playing against a team called Aldershot.

The switch to 4-4-2 meant that Rooney was now deployed on the right of midfield, which is a waste of his ability and meant that BWd could relax knowing that no-one was going to be bombing down that flank at them as Higgins had done in the early phase. Sam Hughes was now in midfield but the half had barely resumed when Hengahan went off injured, an unlucky blow for us. No sign of Sharps on the bench so Burr now pushed Hughes back into the back four where he and Astles must have made up the least experienced centre-back pairing in the entire National League yesterday. The two of them didn't do too badly, but again we failed to control midfield and BWd created enough chances to keep their spirits up. Rooney's second goal was a decent free kick but really their keeper should have saved it. We had a decent spell after that and Mahon injected some life when he came on, but we failed to keep BWd on the back foot for long. Their equaliser was a little fortunate; the ball came down just outside our area and their player took a swing and it scudded in just inside the post. It wasn't a case of the Barrow game when they'd looked like scoring for half an hour before they did, but our failure to boss midfield, and to ask serious questions of their defence, meant that BWd were worth their point.

For me the match emphasised the biggest failing of this season: player recruitment. The people that the manager has brought in simply haven't been good enough, and he and the coaches have failed to improve on the material at their disposal. His dealings in the loan market and short-term contracts illustrate this perfectly. Last season he brought in some excellent loans in Matty Hughes and Rhys Oates. This time his in-season recruitment has been dismal. I make it 15 players signed since the start of the season, and the only ones I would call successful are James Roberts, Ryan Lloyd and Alex Whitmore. There is no excuse for cocking up loan signings. It isn't like the summer when you wheel and deal, bring in players who might improve the squad and then maybe find a better one is available at the end of the window so you move the first one out. Once the season starts you have ample opportunity to scout players and decide if they can do whatever job is required. Loan signings during the season should not be stabs in the dark, they should be brought in as bespoke solutions to identified problems. Having examined the stats, no fewer than EIGHT of the players who have been brought in failed to make more than two starts. Five of them didn't start a single league game. By any standards, this is an embarrassment.

No wonder we are slipping ever closer to the bottom four although even after yesterday I think we will escape, narrowly.

This post has been edited by Charlie Lambert: Apr 3 2016, 02:15 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chesterjon
post Apr 3 2016, 02:17 PM
Post #2

1st team stalwart

Member No.: 2974

QUOTE (Charlie Lambert @ Apr 3 2016, 03:12 PM) *
We started with 3 at the back - Henaghan, Hughes and Astles - with Higgins and Hunt as wing-backs, Shaw and Lloyd in front of the back three, Rooney in the hole and Hannah and Alabi up front. Our first goal came directly as a result of this formation - Higgins going strongly down the right, good cross, and Rooney arriving on schedule to put it away. Copybook stuff and all credit to Steve Burr for devising a plan which worked.

We then destroyed all that good work when a defender - Henaghan, I think - missed what looked a routine clearance, unsighting Worsnop in the process. The ball floated goalwards where another defender cleared on the line, only for the ball to hit an advancing BWood player and rebound straight back into the net.

Despite that, we should still have been able to control the game. BWood were playing 4-3-3 so with our 5 across midfield we should have been able to stretch them beyond breaking point. This didn't happen, in my view because our central trio of Shaw, Hughes and Rooney failed to establish any dominance over BW'd's midfield three.This meant that the service to the wing-backs was desperately inconsistent - passes were frequently played without pace or direction, meaning that the ball failed to reach its destination and the wing-back was left stranded upfield as BWd counter-attacked. I assume this is why Burr switched to 4-4-2 at half-time. Things weren't helped by Hannah finding that nothing went his way and by Alabi not playing against a team called Aldershot.

The switch to 4-4-2 meant that Rooney was now deployed on the right of midfield, which is a waste of his ability and meant that BWd could relax knowing that no-one was going to be bombing down that flank at them as Higgins had done in the early phase. Sam Hughes was now in midfield but the half had barely resumed when Hengahan went off injured, an unlucky blow for us. No sign of Sharps on the bench so Burr now pushed Hughes back into the back four where he and Astles must have made up the least experienced centre-back pairing in the entire National League yesterday. The two of them didn't do too badly, but again we failed to control midfield and BWd created enough chances to keep their spirits up. Rooney's second goal was a decent free kick but really their keeper should have saved it. We had a decent spell after that and Mahon injected some life when he came on, but we failed to keep BWd on the back foot for long. Their equaliser was a little fortunate; the ball came down just outside our area and their player took a swing and it scudded in just inside the post. It wasn't a case of the Barrow game when they'd looked like scoring for half an hour before they did, but our failure to boss midfield, and to ask serious questions of their defence, meant that BWd were worth their point.

For me the match emphasised the biggest failing of this season: player recruitment. The people that the manager has brought in simply haven't been good enough, and he and the coaches have failed to improve on the material at their disposal. His dealings in the loan market and short-term contracts illustrate this perfectly. Last season he brought in some excellent loans in Matty Hughes and Rhys Oates. This time his in-season recruitment has been dismal. I make it 15 players signed since the start of the season, and the only ones I would call successful are James Roberts, Ryan Lloyd and Alex Whitmore. There is no excuse for cocking up loan signings. It isn't like the summer when you wheel and deal, bring in players who might improve the squad and then maybe find a better one is available at the end of the window so you mve the first one out. Once the season starts you have ample opportunity to scout players and decide if they can do whatever job is required. Loan signings during the season should not be stabs in the dark, they should be brought in as bespoke solutions to identified problems. Having examined the stats, no fewer than EIGHT of the players who have been brought in failed to make more than two starts. Five of them didn't start a single league game. By any standards, this is an embarrassment.

No wonder we are slipping ever closer to the bottom four although even after yesterday I think we will escape, narrowly.

The way we use loanees is becoming a farce.No Bell yesterday and the new lad Ben his surname escapes me,doesnt even qualify for a squad number in the programme yesterday.if we are not careful,parent clubs will be reluctant to loan to Chester as they get no more game time than they get at their own club

+Quote Post
Almost Blue
post Apr 3 2016, 02:34 PM
Post #3

1st team captain

Member No.: 2954

QUOTE (chesterjon @ Apr 3 2016, 03:17 PM) *

For me the match emphasised the biggest failing of this season: player recruitment. The people that the manager has brought in simply haven't been good enough, and he and the coaches have failed to improve on the material at their disposal. His dealings in the loan market and short-term contracts illustrate this perfectly. Last season he brought in some excellent loans in Matty Hughes and Rhys Oates. This time his in-season recruitment has been dismal. I make it 15 players signed since the start of the season, and the only ones I would call successful are James Roberts, Ryan Lloyd and Alex Whitmore. There is no excuse for cocking up loan signings. It isn't like the summer when you wheel and deal, bring in players who might improve the squad and then maybe find a better one is available at the end of the window so you mve the first one out. Once the season starts you have ample opportunity to scout players and decide if they can do whatever job is required. Loan signings during the season should not be stabs in the dark, they should be brought in as bespoke solutions to identified problems. Having examined the stats, no fewer than EIGHT of the players who have been brought in failed to make more than two starts. Five of them didn't start a single league game. By any standards, this is an embarrassment.

The way we use loanees is becoming a farce.No Bell yesterday and the new lad Ben his surname escapes me,doesnt even qualify for a squad number in the programme yesterday.if we are not careful,parent clubs will be reluctant to loan to Chester as they get no more game time than they get at their own club

Bell went back to Rochdale a few weeks ago . . .

--------------------
English Corner, Harry Mac Terrace - since 1992.

+Quote Post
Jimmy Cooper
post Apr 3 2016, 02:48 PM
Post #4

Squad player

Member No.: 5306

Bell has been recalled by Rochdale.
Burr's loanees have been very poor or haven't been given any game time.
His recruitment pre-season - Sharps, Shaw, Chappell - proved to be appalling.
Recruitment the previous pre-season - Iwelumo - was equally poor.
Unlike Charlie, I think we'll go down. We might take a point from the Welling game, but otherwise ....

+Quote Post
chester fan 2015...
post Apr 3 2016, 02:50 PM
Post #5

deva chatter

Member No.: 12120

worst possible for burr when he brought in loan signings was play them all out of position aka dyson from everton

+Quote Post
njd1959
post Apr 3 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #6

1st team regular

Member No.: 11812

For me the match emphasised the biggest failing of this season: player recruitment. The people that the manager has brought in simply haven't been good enough, and he and the coaches have failed to improve on the material at their disposal. His dealings in the loan market and short-term contracts illustrate this perfectly. Last season he brought in some excellent loans in Matty Hughes and Rhys Oates. This time his in-season recruitment has been dismal. I make it 15 players signed since the start of the season, and the only ones I would call successful are James Roberts, Ryan Lloyd and Alex Whitmore. There is no excuse for cocking up loan signings. It isn't like the summer when you wheel and deal, bring in players who might improve the squad and then maybe find a better one is available at the end of the window so you move the first one out. Once the season starts you have ample opportunity to scout players and decide if they can do whatever job is required. Loan signings during the season should not be stabs in the dark, they should be brought in as bespoke solutions to identified problems. Having examined the stats, no fewer than EIGHT of the players who have been brought in failed to make more than two starts. Five of them didn't start a single league game. By any standards, this is an embarrassment.

Agreed. Other than the Aldershot game we are a team/squad devoid of confidence since Christmas and most of the time before that. Whatever the reasons we have a manager/assistant who hardly instil confidence with their continual bleating and hard luck stories. Like most we will see how the season finishes under their non direction and let the future take it's course, but with these two at the helm the club is going backwards on the field. Maybe you could do a better job Charlie as a man with your footballing knowledge rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Yin
post Apr 3 2016, 04:25 PM
Post #7

Squad player

Member No.: 10837

The focus on Player Recruitment is pivotal to the overall stability and progress at First Team and Academy level.
At a level very much dictated by 'Agents' then the Club/Management should not be drawn into the opinions of those who are only interested in the Instant Financial Rewards associated with their Players joining the club.
Get the Recruitment (which takes years to perfect) right and the current squad status/standard would be avoided.
As mentioned numerous times in the past the Board/Club does not currently have any experienced skill set in Recruitment at this time.

+Quote Post
Pauline M
post Apr 4 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #8

Chair - Chester Exiles
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 921

QUOTE (Yin @ Apr 3 2016, 05:25 PM) *

The focus on Player Recruitment is pivotal to the overall stability and progress at First Team and Academy level.
At a level very much dictated by 'Agents' then the Club/Management should not be drawn into the opinions of those who are only interested in the Instant Financial Rewards associated with their Players joining the club.
Get the Recruitment (which takes years to perfect) right and the current squad status/standard would be avoided.
As mentioned numerous times in the past the Board/Club does not currently haver any experienced skill set in Recruitment at this time.

This has been mentioned a few times of late and therefore I hope we now address this as it would appear to be a very good point and a big hole in our set up. I guess someone of the right skill/experienced should be co-opted on to the Board in preparation for the close season and next season (what ever league we end up in crying.gif ).

Any suggestions as to who would fit the bill?

--------------------
Join the Chester Exiles and have fun as we climb back to where we belong.

+Quote Post
Midnight Rider
post Apr 4 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #9

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4093

"Board/Club does not currently have any experienced skill set in Recruitment at this time."

I think this is unfair. There is a former head of HR on the Operations Board, plus several other vastly experienced managers who know how to recruit.
The methodology of recruitment is well understood. Talent spotting, now that's the difficult one.

--------------------
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” - Teddy Roosevelt.

+Quote Post
Yin
post Apr 4 2016, 08:41 PM
Post #10

Squad player

Member No.: 10837

QUOTE (Midnight Rider @ Apr 4 2016, 08:51 PM) *
"Board/Club does not currently have any experienced skill set in Recruitment at this time."

I think this is unfair. There is a former head of HR on the Operations Board, plus several other vastly experienced managers who know how to recruit.
The methodology of recruitment is well understood. Talent spotting, now that's the difficult one.

Apologies,i was referring to the Football side of Recruitment in my comments and not any other Club Staff Recruitment Skill Sets.

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Apr 4 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #11

Squad player

Member No.: 1331

QUOTE (Charlie Lambert @ Apr 3 2016, 02:12 PM) *

I have been to hardly any games this season, so I am not in any position to comment. But when the likes of Charlie Lambert - one of our most respected and knowledgeable supporters - is writing like this, it is a real wake up call.

+Quote Post
Midnight Rider
post Apr 4 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #12

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 4093

Anything Charlie says should be listened to and acted upon. I have had the honour of representing our club at several top tables sat next to Charlie and have no doubt that his views will resonate at the highest levels in the club.

--------------------
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” - Teddy Roosevelt.

+Quote Post
Pauline M
post Apr 5 2016, 12:36 AM
Post #13

Chair - Chester Exiles
Group Icon

Member No.: 921

QUOTE (Yin @ Apr 4 2016, 09:41 PM) *
QUOTE (Midnight Rider @ Apr 4 2016, 08:51 PM) *

Apologies,i was referring to the Football side of Recruitment in my comments and not any other Club Staff Recruitment Skill Sets.

That's how I understood it too.

So any thoughts from Devachatters on the person with the necessary footballing experience/background who could be invited on to the Board?

--------------------
Join the Chester Exiles and have fun as we climb back to where we belong.

+Quote Post
NorwegianBlue
post Apr 5 2016, 10:11 AM
Post #14

Chester til I die

Member No.: 8140

When we mention 'skill sets', I think the main priority in the close season is to look for so called defenders who have 'tackling' and 'Heading' skills.

7 clean sheets in 41 league games with only 3 being 0-0, suggests to me that we do not have too many players with those 'skill sets' which are actually a basic requirement.

By my calculations, Chester would have to score at least 34 goals just to have a chance of getting at least draw !
That puts extra pressure on midfield and strikers to even come close to winning us games.

Simple: If you don't concede, you don't lose.

--------------------
I was there : 27-11-90 The 409 club.
I was there : 31-08-13 The 888 club.
I was there : 22-09-14 The "94th minute" club.

+Quote Post
mused
post Apr 5 2016, 10:27 AM
Post #15

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

QUOTE (NorwegianBlue @ Apr 5 2016, 11:11 AM) *
When we mention 'skill sets', I think the main priority in the close season is to look for so called defenders who have 'tackling' and 'Heading' skills.

7 clean sheets in 41 league games with only 3 being 0-0, suggests to me that we do not have too many players with those 'skill sets' which are actually a basic requirement.

By my calculations, Chester would have to score at least 34 goals just to have a chance of getting at least draw !
That puts extra pressure on midfield and strikers to even come close to winning us games.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, I don't agree that the defence should carry the can for everything. They've spent the best part of the season with Jon in goal who for some reason has been a shadow of the previous season.
For me, Central midfield is where we have lost so many games. George has been injured for most of the season. Shaw has been a complete none entity unfortunately. Rooney is a bit of an enigma, I rate him but I'm not sure he has the discipline for centre midfield. Young Sam has been great but has been let down by those around him.
So, to sum up, we probably need a new keeper, a centre back, right back, two centre midfielders, a winger and a striker who can hold the ball up. We're seven players away from a mid table team.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
Arrogant Blue
post Apr 5 2016, 10:28 AM
Post #16

3 in a row

Member No.: 133

A new keeper is a must. The amount of mistakes Worsnop has made is shocking. Both goals on Saturday were preventable by him.

Can anyone actually understands what he says as well? Heard him on the Football Football show and he needed subtitles!!

--------------------
One love, we don't need another love. One love, one heart and one soul. We can have it all, easy, peasy, ooh ho ho!

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Apr 5 2016, 10:36 AM
Post #17

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Arrogant Blue @ Apr 5 2016, 11:28 AM) *

A new keeper is a must. The amount of mistakes Worsnop has made is shocking. Both goals on Saturday were preventable by him.

Can anyone actually understands what he says as well? Heard him on the Football Football show and he needed subtitles!!

Tony Thompson done really well. Poor decision to drop him. Watched the highlights of JW pat a caking the first goal Saturday...

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Arrogant Blue
post Apr 5 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #18

3 in a row

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (NWAS @ Apr 5 2016, 11:36 AM) *

Tony Thompson done really well. Poor decision to drop him. Watched the highlights of JW pat a caking the first goal Saturday...

That was shocking keeping and almost as bad as the Altrincham and Chelthenham mistakes he made.

--------------------
One love, we don't need another love. One love, one heart and one soul. We can have it all, easy, peasy, ooh ho ho!

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Apr 5 2016, 10:59 AM
Post #19

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Arrogant Blue @ Apr 5 2016, 11:51 AM) *

That was shocking keeping and almost as bad as the Altrincham and Chelthenham mistakes he made.

I don't get the dropping of Thompson at all. It almost seems like a vanity move, as though Burr is trying to put bad results down to individual errors rather than accepting that it's his own decisions that are costing us points. It doesn't seem like a decision made in the best interests of the team as they go into these crucial last five games.

+Quote Post
mused
post Apr 5 2016, 11:04 AM
Post #20

1st team captain

Member No.: 1634

QUOTE (XWWB @ Apr 5 2016, 11:59 AM) *
QUOTE (Arrogant Blue @ Apr 5 2016, 11:51 AM) *

I don't get the dropping of Thompson at all. It almost seems like a vanity move, as though Burr is trying to put bad results down to individual errors rather than accepting that it's his own decisions that are costing us points. It doesn't seem like a decision made in the best interests of the team as they go into these crucial last five games.

A terrible decision by Burr and just about sums up what a woeful season he as had as manager.

--------------------
If I had the wings of a sparrow. If I had the a**e of a crow. I'd fly over Wr**h*m tomorrow and s**t on the bastards below, below!

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Apr 5 2016, 11:10 AM
Post #21

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1562

Looking at player recruitment is much easier in hindsight, we've said many times, the recruitment pre-season was excellent on paper, everyone was pleased with all bar Chappell. The fact that the manager has been let down by Sharps and Shaw, has had to suffer Higgins & Mahon's poor season, George's injury woes and Chappell's inconsistency should be noted. I still think Kay left partly because he couldn't stomach another season on the bench and it is questionable whether he had the right to think Hanah could play in his favoured formation.

Worsnop (poor this season)

Higgins (poor this season - people expected him to improve, he was touted as a player who we would get a fee for i recall)
Heneghan (poor at times, much better of late)
Sharps (experienced, much better than Charnock)
Hunt (stop diving in)

George (NW POTY)
Shaw (300 conference games)

Mahon (poor season)
Rooney (best as 10, cannot compete in a conference midfield aerially)
Chappell (ideally matty hughes)

Hannah (cannot do what matty taylor did in this formation)

Forth (was he the keeper to push worsnop? now plaing 1st team for FCUM)
Kay (noted above)
Hughes (young, good cover for shaw and george)
Thomson (to battle with rooney for no.10)
Hobbo (your plan B, Southend away shows theres a player at times in there)
Richards (pace, winger cover)
Tonge (should have been retain imo as cover for both wing back positions but of course he wanted to play 1st team)

don't know if missed anyone off there, but that squad is a decent one on paper which makes it hard to question recruitment.

when it became clear hannah couldnt play as one up top, burr tried everything to avoid 4-4-2, including hobson left wing and 3-5-2 which was a horror show at alty in the cup.

Burr knew he didnt have the players for 4-4-2, hence this season has been one without a settled formation which can only lead to inconsistency. i really wouldn't question recruitment as he had a right to think the players brought in would improve us. you could question the acquisition of Hannah, which i have, as he doesnt fit the style of play but beyond that it has been not spotting the need for 4-4-2 much sooner. it is the classic formation, the one the players know, but he would have to sacrifice Rooney and Thomson for it.

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Apr 5 2016, 12:15 PM
Post #22

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

Agree with a lot of that. The main problem this season hasn't been signings - it's been players underperforming, both new and old. Perhaps we have to look at coaching, morale and tactics there, because it's incredible that so many players seem to have gone backwards this season.

I think with Hannah though, when you look at how well he's done and how many goals he's scored, you have to build a system around him. If it's a choice between sacrificing Hannah or sacrificing Burr's choices of formation, I think I know which one people will choose.

+Quote Post
iandyChesterCity
post Apr 5 2016, 01:14 PM
Post #23

A balanced view.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1562

agree with you, i'd have personally kept Hattersley as for all he couldn't score himself, he brought out the best in hannah.

--------------------
Defender of the people...

+Quote Post
NorwegianBlue
post Apr 5 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #24

Chester til I die

Member No.: 8140

QUOTE (mused @ Apr 5 2016, 12:27 PM) *

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, I don't agree that the defence should carry the can for everything. They've spent the best part of the season with Jon in goal who for some reason has been a shadow of the previous season.
For me, Central midfield is where we have lost so many games. George has been injured for most of the season. Shaw has been a complete none entity unfortunately. Rooney is a bit of an enigma, I rate him but I'm not sure he has the discipline for centre midfield. Young Sam has been great but has been let down by those around him.
So, to sum up, we probably need a new keeper, a centre back, right back, two centre midfielders, a winger and a striker who can hold the ball up. We're seven players away from a mid table team.

Some good points there Mused, maybe not carry the can for everything but definitely for most.
If we play with two attacking full backs, you must have at least one centre back who has a bit of pace to cover them.
Out of interest, how many goals have been conceded from corners?

I agree that we need a central midfielder who can get stuck in, win and hold the ball then simply lay it off to someone who can pass or run with it and heaven forbid, beat a man.

Hannah? Anyone that can bag 20+ goals in season, especially in a poor side is worth his pay. There aren't too many around.

--------------------
I was there : 27-11-90 The 409 club.
I was there : 31-08-13 The 888 club.
I was there : 22-09-14 The "94th minute" club.

+Quote Post
alty
post Apr 5 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #25

Youth team

Member No.: 2581

For me Burr has just lost his way much in the same way as Rodgers did at Liverpool. He arrived with a reputation, established way of working and style of play, but is now changing formation with ever increasing frequency - it smacks of panic, not "tactical genius".

It's clear we are low on confidence, but surely he if acknowledged the situation, proposed a plan to the players and just stuck with it, it would give us all more confidence, rather than "drop Ross Hannah a little deeper", or "3 / 4 / 5 at the back today lads".

Perhaps we haven't got the players or budget to execute Burr's brand of Total Football long term. I still can't work out if he's trying to fit the formation to the players or the making the players play a formation - his recent interview suggests the latter, in which case it bring you back to recruitment and why we haven't got the players to play the way he wants to.

However, his constant tinkering is very occassionally effective as witnessed at Altrincham, so I'm wildly optimistically in thinking we are capable of a surprise result in the remaining games - however, this game of formation roulette isn't really sustainable going forwards.

In terms of the loan signings they haven't worked out (bar Lloyd). We've been expecting another McBurnie, Hughes, Oates, etc, and you could say he was unlucky this season with Roberts, who looked really useful, but maybe just exceptionally lucky last season which has created a heightened expectation.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th October 2020 - 03:02 AM