The CCFC flag at Glastonbury
Group Icon

Group: DC Donatees
Member No.: 899

From the BBC. Link HERE
FA Cup assault footballer jailed
James Cotterill
Cotterill pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm
A footballer has been jailed for hitting a rival player in the face during an FA Cup match.

Barrow defender James Cotterill, 24, pleaded guilty to punching Bristol Rovers striker Sean Rigg during a first round match on 11 November last year.

He was sentenced to four months in prison for GBH, at Preston Crown Court.

Cotterill is thought to be the first football player in recent history in England to be jailed for an offence which happened on the pitch.

Metal plates

The incident took place at the Conference North club Barrow's ground.

Cotterill fractured Mr Rigg's jaw in two places during the "highly charged" match. It now has to be held in place by metal plates for the rest of his life.

The court heard how Riggs, a League Two player, had to drink through a straw and eat with a teaspoon as a result of the punch.

The Football Association banned Cotterill from playing football until March of this year.

An interim suspension was imposed by the FA on 17 November due to the serious nature of the incident.

Television cameras captured the off-the-ball assault, which was shown that evening to millions of viewers on the BBC's Match of the Day programme.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fathead The Glad...
post Jan 11 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #2

Reserve skipper

Group: DC Members
Member No.: 1749

QUOTE (Chuckie Egg @ Jan 11 2007, 01:19 PM) *
From the BBC. Link HERE
FA Cup assault footballer jailed
James Cotterill
Cotterill pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm
A footballer has been jailed for hitting a rival player in the face during an FA Cup match.

Barrow defender James Cotterill, 24, pleaded guilty to punching Bristol Rovers striker Sean Rigg during a first round match on 11 November last year.

He was sentenced to four months in prison for GBH, at Preston Crown Court.

Cotterill is thought to be the first football player in recent history in England to be jailed for an offence which happened on the pitch.

Metal plates

The incident took place at the Conference North club Barrow's ground.

Cotterill fractured Mr Rigg's jaw in two places during the "highly charged" match. It now has to be held in place by metal plates for the rest of his life.

The court heard how Riggs, a League Two player, had to drink through a straw and eat with a teaspoon as a result of the punch.

The Football Association banned Cotterill from playing football until March of this year.

An interim suspension was imposed by the FA on 17 November due to the serious nature of the incident.

Television cameras captured the off-the-ball assault, which was shown that evening to millions of viewers on the BBC's Match of the Day programme.

Should have been banned for life.What sort of punishment is that?The FA seem happy with some of the more thuggish side of the game more prevalent in local leagues than at this higher level.

--------------------
North Wales Chester FC Supporters Group

+Quote Post
NWAS
post Jan 11 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #3

Romantic alecan
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

I'd agree. Sine die would have been the correct ban. Four months may act as a deterrent though. What about Lee McCullough and Ben Thatcher next? Or could Premiership clubs afford better barristers than Barrow?

--------------------
Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time.
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine.

+Quote Post
Couldhavebeensix
post Jan 11 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #4

Mark Wrights Blue White Army!

Member No.: 2150

That is a disgrace mad.gif
What was the point of doing that in teh middle of a football match mad.gif

+Quote Post
Darrell
post Jan 11 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #5

Chester Boy

Member No.: 1670

Is Sean rigg still playing football, or has he had to retire due to his injury?

--------------------
Here's to another 125 years :-):-)

+Quote Post
Fathead The Glad...
post Jan 11 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #6

Reserve skipper

Member No.: 1749

QUOTE (Darrell @ Jan 11 2007, 02:50 PM) *

Good question,he may have had to have a self-imposed sine die ban as a result of his physical assault by Cotterill.The FA should hold their blazers in shame.

--------------------
North Wales Chester FC Supporters Group

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jan 11 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #7

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

So, technically, he's allowed to play football before he even gets out of prison?

+Quote Post
Scum hater
post Jan 12 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #8

Youth team

Member No.: 2059

I remember watching that incident on MOTD.

An absolute disgrace, that riggs lad wasn't even facing Cotterill, the coward hit him from behind.

it does make you wonder what world the FA live in. I totally agree if you bring the game into such direpute ie court case, Prison sentence, it should be a ban for life from ALL footballing activities.

I realise tempers flare because its a passionate game and squaring up and handbags at dawn should be as bad as it gets with maybe the odd bad word.

intentional cleaning out of a player ie Thatcher is a dark part of the game and can ruin not just careers but lives as well, just ask Gary Mabbutt who has not only had to live with physical but mental scars as well from a 'stray' elbow.

And before anyone else says it granted some footballers are millioniares which would ease the pain, but to the vast majority it provides for a family and keeps the wolves from the door.

what if that animal cotterill decided to break a jaw of a player in his league or in a sunday league. this could lead to some serious time off work maybe with no sick pay, house could be in jepaordy, can't provide for your kids, and to top it all off the pain of the injury and operations and the embaressment of the straw and teaspoon treatment. in all a sentence worse than four months in a HMP.

Apologies for going so deep but it just annoys me that brainless thugs get away very lightly for their disgraceful actions, and it annoys me more so especially being a sunday league footballer (used in the loosest sense) who is self employed, with a mortgage, with two young children knowing that it could all be taken away by the thoughtless actions of somebody wanting to prove his non existant macho manhood because he is a bad loser.

and a deep breath, rant over.........as you were.

+Quote Post
Colin Potts
post Jan 12 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #9

Sept 7 1968 a Great day for Football
Group Icon

Member No.: 777

QUOTE (Fathead The Gladiator @ Jan 11 2007, 02:54 PM) *
QUOTE (Darrell @ Jan 11 2007, 02:50 PM) *

Good question,he may have had to have a self-imposed sine die ban as a result of his physical assault by Cotterill.The FA should hold their blazers in shame.

Rigg was back on the bench for Bristols last game. I think it was his first game back

--------------------

Legend - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Gannon

Sir Danny Bergara 1943 - 2007 R.I.P.

+Quote Post
Scott
post Jan 12 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #10

Up the seals

Member No.: 2029

Shocking incident, punishment deserved.

+Quote Post
Hot Cancer
post Jan 12 2007, 05:07 PM
Post #11

Gimme some sugar baby.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1316

This is ridiculous. The police shouldn't get involved with sports incidents. The FA should've been stronger. What next? Rugby players sent down for fighting?

--------------------
How's that for a slice of fried gold?

+Quote Post
Whisper
post Jan 12 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #12

I pity the fool, that tries to take what I got.

Member No.: 749

Thats crap and you know it, he took a swipe at some one when he wasnt even looking

You have to remeber the Sean Rigg made a complaint to the police.

If it had happend to you on a Saturday night in the pub and the police/CPS did fook all about it you would be up in arms, if anything the public venue where it happend should only increase the punishment.

--------------------
It's the eye of the tiger, it's the cream of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all in the eye of the tiger

+Quote Post
Bluesontop
post Jan 12 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #13

H Block..................
Group Icon

Member No.: 1942

QUOTE (Whisper @ Jan 12 2007, 07:19 PM) *
Thats crap and you know it, he took a swipe at some one when he wasnt even looking

If it had happend to you on a Saturday night in the pub and the police/CPS did fook all about it you would be up in arms, if anything the public venue where it happend should only increase the punishment.

Fair challenge in my book. wink.gif It happened to me a fair bit in the early 80's on train platforms, and I never went running to the police, quite the opposite in fact. laugh.gif

--------------------
Chester City FC The pride of the North West

Colin Potts is a tramp.

+Quote Post
Hot Cancer
post Jan 12 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #14

Gimme some sugar baby.
Group Icon

So it's crap that i think these things should be kept within football? All about opinions.

You really shouldn't use that as an arguement, who's to say that didn't happen to me?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lobster
post Jan 16 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #15

Just one fool among the shower
Group Icon

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (Hot Cancer @ Jan 12 2007, 07:33 PM) *

So it's crap that i think these things should be kept within football? All about opinions.

You really shouldn't use that as an arguement, who's to say that didn't happen to me?

Football pitches are not exempt from national laws. Punching someone is an arrestable offence wherever it takes place. What if someone took a gun on the pitch and shot someone dead. Should they be trialed for murder or, god help us, dealt with by the FA? rolleyes.gif

Sorry for dragging this one back up, been away over the weekend

+Quote Post
BLUE AND WHITE G...
post Jan 16 2007, 01:46 AM
Post #16

King Of The Ghosthunters
Group Icon

Member No.: 1805

The thug has got what he deserved

--------------------
FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE NO PROOF IS NEEDED.
FOR THOSE THAT DON'T NO PROOF IS ENOUGH
WHEN YOU ELIMINATE THE IMPOSSIBLE,WHATEVER REMAINS,NO MATTER HOW IMPROBABLE,MUST BE THE TRUTH
THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT,THE FUTURE IS BLUE AND WHITE
BEST GUESS OF AWAY FOLLOWING CHESTER V KENDAL 14/9/11 AWARD
FROM THE ASHES GROW THE ROSES OF SUCCESS
CHESTER FC, 4 YEARS, 3 TITLES AND ONE PASSION

+Quote Post
kishonadish
post Jan 16 2007, 07:38 AM
Post #17

Squirrels!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1032

Now comes the compensation claim.......call Personal Injury Lawyers for You! (Scum representing Scum)

--------------------
Chester FC Fan......and CHUFFING PROUD OF IT!

+Quote Post
Hot Cancer
post Jan 16 2007, 09:05 AM
Post #18

Gimme some sugar baby.
Group Icon

QUOTE (XWWB @ Jan 16 2007, 01:40 AM) *
Football pitches are not exempt from national laws. Punching someone is an arrestable offence wherever it takes place. What if someone took a gun on the pitch and shot someone dead. Should they be trialed for murder or, god help us, dealt with by the FA? rolleyes.gif

Don't insult my intelligence by making this comparison.

I just think, where tempers flare on the football pitch it should stay in house. How many fights take place on the streets with witnesses and lead to prison sentances? Not many.

I'm not condoning what the lad did, it was pathetic and nasty. But if the police want to take a hard line, why are they not getting involved during rugby matches? There is far worse that goes on during that.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Protected by SBST and Project Honeypot Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2019 - 12:18 AM